VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Victory luggage rack for the Kingpin require the tag bracket as a mounting point at the back or for structural support? I never could tell from pictures I've seen. I am curious if it could be used on a Vegas with the Kingpin backrest already mounted. I saw an 8-ball on craigslist with this set-up but didn't know if it was proper.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Mine was attached to the Plate bracket.

In fact Seawolf gave me a Tour Pack but the chrome brackets don't fit an 05. I went to the hardware store and bought a couple of L brackets Works like a champ.

·
Registered
279 Posts

The luggage rack can be mounted without the drop brackets from the
bracket to plate. Those brackets give a little more strength for weight.
It only has a rating for 7lbs as it is..
The big thing you may want to keep in mind though, is the grains on the
seat's coverare different on the Vegas than the Kingpin (typically)...
But here is a couplepictures without the bracket when I had it on for looks
and basic little bag, but once I needed to put more gear I installed the drop
brackets and put my plate back on the fender...:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

FishWitch and BlueDemon, thanks for the information on the luggage rack and backrest. That's exactly the information that I had been struggling to find!
Twillis

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i use the Kuryakyn tour bag with that setup and the ness lay down plate holder. It's fine but it will bounce a lot as you're running down the road. It's still pretty strong though since the majority of the weight is being held by the 90 bend of the rear backrest support where it mounts to. I wouldn't overload it, but I wouldn't fear it either.

If I wasn't such a cheap guy I'd buy the Kewlmetal rack but $500 is pricey for something that'll be covered 95% of the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Redpin,
That's useful info. My problem, as well as most people, I'm sure, is that on my longer trips, I KNOW I overload my racks! I actually decided to go with the Luggage Rack and Sissybar from http://www.victoryonly.com/--It's powdercoated black to match my 8-ball and is designed to work with the Mustang seat.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i'm assuming you got the one that comes to a point? I had that one for around a year and got rid of it. The strut covers unfortunately will 'rattle' against the struts and dig into the support. The other downside is the backrest slides into the support and will collect water over time and rust unless you seal it off someway.

Don't get me wrong it's a great looking piece but has some design flaws that turned me off so I went back to 'factory'. It is much stronger than the flimsy factory one though so it's a left hand or right hand decision.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see your point about water getting in there. I will try to address that somehow. I used a couple of washers on each side between the Strut "eyebrow" covers and the sissybar uprights to create about an 1/8" gap between the two. I just wanted to keep a little distance between the two in case of flex. I assume this is what you meant. By using the Mustang seat, a guy is so limited on luggage rack options that I just thought this was the best one. Plus is comes in black!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
i agree I held off for years getting the mustang because of the issue. However I switched and it was totally worth it. I really like the kewlmetal other than the price.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

I used the luggage rack from Out-Law Chrome for a couple of years and I liked it.
Very strong unit. It can hold a lot of weight but it's not very big.

If you need to put a larger bag on it this works.

I needed a stronger luggage rack so I installed a Wompus Lugage rack on my Kingpin.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Rollin,
I believe I used your exact picture of the Tomahawk as a basis for my decision to go with it. I do have the Kuryakyn Full Dresser bag for longer trips that I use. If it looks like I need a bigger platform, I may use an overlay like you have. I hadn't seen the Wompus. It looks like it's up to the task. I had worried a little about the strength of the Tomahawk, but from the looks of your pictures, I think it will work for me. So you went from a Vegas to a Kingpin? Nice bikes, both of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hello i bought a two up luggage rack and when i got it out of the box it says it is for a vegas. How can i get it to mount to my 05 kingpiin or is it not made for this bike and i have to get the smaller luggage rack that also mounts to license plate. Anyone help me out

·
Registered
11,750 Posts

Does it look like this?

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mYCbvMSCwUivvYwZxxwUlWA.jpg

Pull the chrome fender guards and it would slip under then be pinched into place when your replace the guards. I believe this is the pic of the one up guard.

This is the two up that includes a backrest for 179.00
http://motoworldracing.com/images/M27487046 I believe it would be the same for the Vegas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.