Anybody add the reverse kit? If so, pros/cons, opinions please. | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Anybody add the reverse kit? If so, pros/cons, opinions please.

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by loride91, Oct 24, 2013.

1. loride91

loride91 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Hardball
    I just noticed recently that there is a kit to add reverse to my bike. (Hardball) I got rid of my sportbike due to back and ankle problems (no miniscus due to a high side years ago) and have since had to back the HB up a four car gravel driveway between 4 cars and into the garage. My GSXR I could just turn onto my porch and back it into the garage or just pull up straight to the garage and pivot it onto its kickstand and spin it 180 to back it in. The Hardball obviously weighs almost twice as much and doesnt have the turning radius for these maneuvers so I am stuck backing it in. The kit seems quite pricey but may be worth it if it saves reinjuring my ankle one time. Has anyone purchased this? If so, did you get a good price on it anywhere? Did you have a dealer install or DIY? How well does it work, anything that you don't like, etc?

2. Dirtydan69

Dirtydan69 Active Member

Victory cross country Trike
    I've had no experience using a reverse on a bike but there are a few times over the years it would have come in handy. But 1500 plus installation seems pretty steep. Your case is quite different though I understand. On the other hand they make a low steel ramp/stand that's on casters. It has a plate that flips down at either end for stability. They can be flipped back up and whole thing rotated on casters to turn your bike around. $80 at harbor freight. Search for low profile motorcycle dolly. Hope this helps.

3. Redmule

Redmule Well-Known Member

Sold CCT

No experience with the Vic one but had one on my goldwing. Really liked it cause of my 30 inch inseam sometimes it was hard to get good footing to back bike up but with the reverse just steer the bike. Really nice. Should be standard on all these heavy tourers and makes parking the bike a lot easier since no issue getting it out of any spot.

4. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour

I also used it now and again on my GL1500. Sometimes angle parking against a curb where the crown of the road is a bit steeper makes duck-walking is back really difficult. And that's why god made reverse!

If you have a weak ankle, why chance buggering it up and not being able to ride at all for who knows how long when for less than 2 grand you'll park worry free anywhere. Sometimes money in the bank is a big downfall, in this case, a possible big fall down.

5. etaoin

etaoin Member

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I had my dealer install the reverse kit on my new Vision Tour before I took ownership earlier this year. It works, but I don't have any other experiences to compare it to. My feeling is it works quite slowly. Don't be in a hurry to back up anywhere!

• Like Like x 1
  6. SirP

SirP Active Member

I have the reverse kit on my cross country. It has its own motor but uses the starter button to activate. It is very slow. But it has plenty of torque. On level ground you can push the bike back faster than reverse can move, easily. BUT I got it because I am short. I don't sit on the bike flat footed. So if I have to move the bike back, up even a slight incline, with the saddlebags loaded, it is very tough without the reverse.

7. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour

The speed of it is slow because imagine if it were faster. You'd be picking the bike up off the ground if you didn't get stuck under it. Where it really comes in handy is on gravel where foot traction is not there and on slight inclines.

8. aussiejack

aussiejack Active Member

Victory Vision Tour Premium

I had it fitted to my 2010 vision tour premium in Australia and it cost $3,800 AUD. My legs do not feel as strong and reliable as they used too. I was struggling to back up my previous bike occasionally and was prepared to pay the extra on a bike I planned to keep long term. I have used it on slippery surfaces as well as moderate rearward inclines. If the only convenient parking space is forward and down into a kerb, no problem backing out.

One slip fall on loose gravel on a machine without tip over protection could cost more in repairs than reverse.

Below is a rant about the cost!!

At the time I bought my bike it cost $40,000 AUD with reverse and lower wind deflectors. Now a non premium tour vision with reverse is about $33,000 AUD
    We pay more here and aren't happy about that. An unfair bit goes to the government so they can make us a nanny state, buy plenty of radar machines and claim they are road toll heroes. Our roads are rough and have plenty of pot holes and rough patches but don't put money into government coffers.

9. Bruno

Bruno Member

2014 15th Anniversary CCT LE #54, 2014 INDIAN Chief Classic

I have it on my CCT, works very well. Had my dealer install. Expensive yes in my opinion.
    I agree with a previous post it should be standard equipment on these large heavy bikes.

10. Street_Eagle

Street_Eagle Member

2013 Victory Vision

After having my 2013 Vision for 2 months I went ahead and had the dealer install the reverse kit. Being 5'6" the reverse has become an invaluable investment.

Pro

• Don't have to worry about where I park. You don't have to be worried about being pinned in, on an incline etc.
    • Backing into a parking spot on an incline
    • Parked on a slippery surface is not long a pucker moment e.g. rain slick roads, gravel etc
    • Manuvering in tight places
    Cons
    • None

Wish List
    • Variable speed settings

Operations

• With engine running, shift into Neutral
    • Once bike is in neutral, maually flip lever on the right side of the bike (located to the 1:00 position to the primary)
    • "R" appears in the Vision's Gear Display
    • Depress the starter button (Reverse uses the starter motor)
    Hope this helps

11. Nacho

Nacho Member

2011 Victory Cross Country

I have the reverse on my 2011 Cross Country. I'm 5'3" tall, so it is a must for the reasons others have mentioned. It was expensive, but has been worth it...especially since I don't have to worry so much about where I park since I can back right up. I would have definitely done it again. I don't use it a lot, but have used it enough and in certain situations to justify the cost.

12. loride91

loride91 Member

Victory Hardball

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and information on this subject, especially Street E for this run down. By chance does the motor have a oneway bearing in it or anything to where you can push it back also and speed up the process or are you locked at the rate that the motor moves until you disengage the reverse unit? What kind of pricing did this hit you up as? Full retail? How about installation? Is this a dealer only type install or fairly doable with someone with some mechanical sense? I am assuming that its likely that the ecu may need some type of flash done similar to the speedo features unlock and the stage 1 maps, etc.

13. Street_Eagle

Street_Eagle Member

2013 Victory Vision

You're welcome! Unfortunatley you can't adjust the speed. In regards to DIY, check out the Vision Rider Forum. There are a couple of guys that have installed it themselves.

In regards to the reverse....all tolled, it came in came in around $1500. The dealer discounted the reverse kit and service installation costs.

Good luck!
    Tom/Street Eagle