VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know Mark (phoenix) and i got a ticket leaving Florida last month.
My question is this.
On the ticket i got it has all my info, however he put the wrong License plate # on the ticket. (he actually put Marks plate # on my ticket) (I dont know if he put mine on Marks or not).
So, is this a possible loophole that will allow me to get out of the ticket?
I have heard that if there is mis information on a ticket there is a possibility to get out of it.
Please let me know if you know , i have already heard from all the "Opinion" people, and am looking for some hard facts.
thanks for the help.
Dean

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Dean,
I had a similar instance and went to court and had it thrown out. But the problem is you would either have to report for your hearing or hire an attorney both of which would cost you more then paying the ticket.
My outcome was I had to pay the ticket but I did not get any points on my lisense.
Now if you were making a trip down here anyway you might want to fight it if not I would pay the ticket.
Don

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Dean,
I had a similar instance and went to court and had it thrown out. But the problem is you would either have to report for your hearing or hire an attorney both of which would cost you more then paying the ticket.
My outcome was I had to pay the ticket but I did not get any points on my lisense.
Now if you were making a trip down here anyway you might want to fight it if not I would pay the ticket.
Don
But it may be worth it since it seems that speeding tickets somehow now can have adverse affects on stuff like life insurance and credit ratings? Not to mention that your vehicle insurance will take a hit. Too bad Mark has already paid his you guys probably could have gotten an attorney and split the costs.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Yep, I would say that probably 90% of the people that get a traffic attorney (cost of about $ 250.00) will end up having to pay the fine but will have the ticket thrown out. The judges don't want to argue and waste time over a ticket, they just want the funds because it is the only way a local government can raise revenue.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
In the state of Florida the operator is given the ticket, and not the machine. While signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt. It is an admission that you were an operator at the time of a possible infracytion. Florida also has a spirit of justice thing that says that minor clerical mistakes should not stand in the way of justice. Your busted

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
This is a tricky issue and allow me to state that I'm NOT an Attorney...so the following advice is worth exactly what you're paying for it.

There's a few unknowns in this. The first one is: Where was the ticket? If it was in a small county/city, you may be asking for a lot of trouble by fighting it. Possibly the Officer and the Judge are related or maybe they might not take it nicely that an out of towner was speeding through their city and could possibly find a way to make things worse if you contest the citation.

Yes, there was an error...but it it worth the cost of fighting it? Possibly you'll win on that technicality, but the cost to defend it might be prohibitive.

While I have no experience with this, there are Legal Referral Websites out there and you might try one and look for an Attorney in that specific city/county and ask what the fees would be and get an opinion.

My personal recommendation would be to pay it and put it behind you. And, when you head back through that area...slow down! They might not be as "friendly" the 2nd time around.

Remember things could be worse...you could have been riding a different brand of bike that might not have been as comfortable at that speed. So, that's one way to reduce the tickets...get a bike that's slower and not as comfortable as the Vision!

Finally, thank you for the Stimulus Package! (Just kidding of course!). If you want a real laugh, you should see our Property Tax Bills...OUCH!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy said:
Remember things could be worse...you could have been riding a different brand of bike that might not have been as comfortable at that speed. So, that's one way to reduce the tickets...get a bike that's slower and not as comfortable as the Vision!
Yeah i think ill get a Spyder !

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Dean, You might also check if you can do online traffic school. California lets you in some places. You still have to pay the ticket but it will not go on your points. You can do that once a year. IF They allow that.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Clubford00 said:
Andy said:
Yeah i think ill get a Spyder !
You're a funny guy!

And, I thought you wanted "dibs" on it when it's time (or is it "Tyme?") to trade!

Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses on the way out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.