VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking I might like to convert my kingpin to a hydraulic clutch.

Does anyone know if there any differences in the different bikes besides maybe the length of the line.
Im thinking i might be able to find a used clutch from a vision or cc and use it on my kp with a new line.
Possible ? more trouble than its worth ?

If anyone knows anyone looking to sell theirs I would be very interested.

Ive read alot of posts about clutch cables snapping.
This worries me since I tend to leave my bike in gear at red lights just in case I need to make a quick getaway.
I am picturing me sitting at the light in gear and the cable snapping and me lurching forward a few feet into traffic.
This plus the prospect of having it break while on a long ride makes me think I might want to convert it.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I believe the length of the line is the only difference. I doubt if you are going to find the kit available new anymore, but the individual parts might still be available. Check out the online parts sites like cheapcycleparts.com. Visions had hydraulic clutch stock. Master cylinder and slave cylinder, and clutch switch might still be available to order individually. All you would need to do is have a hydraulic line custom made to the correct length.

Only other issue there might be is if the bars are different diameter. I’m not sure about that.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
I am picturing me sitting at the light in gear and the cable snapping and me lurching forward a few feet into traffic.
I'm always in gear and have never snapped a clutch cable. I ride in Houston traffic too so my clutch has always gotten allot of use.

I carried this on my Kingpin.

C101M

That said I do prefer the hydraulic systems on my Visions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I would have thought but ive read numerous complaints where guys are saying that have kept it lubed and maintained and still had breaks.

I think I can get a used vision mastr and slave cylinder for 200 so if I add a custom line i should be looking at 250 total.

A little expensive but worth it for piece of mind.
Plus I just like upgrading/tinkering with my bike so it will give me a project with some real benefits.

I cant be sure but I would think the hydraulic clutch may be a little easier on the hand than the stock clutch lever.
I find my hand is feeling a little fatigued if I ride around in town for a while where there are a bunch of stop lights.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Thats what I would have thought but ive read numerous complaints where guys are saying that have kept it lubed and maintained and still had breaks.

I think I can get a used vision mastr and slave cylinder for 200 so if I add a custom line i should be looking at 250 total.

A little expensive but worth it for piece of mind.
Plus I just like upgrading/tinkering with my bike so it will give me a project with some real benefits.

I cant be sure but I would think the hydraulic clutch may be a little easier on the hand than the stock clutch lever.
I find my hand is feeling a little fatigued if I ride around in town for a while where there are a bunch of stop lights.
There is not much, if any, difference in the pull of the clutch cable and the hydraulic clutch.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The hydraulic clutch is a little easier but it grabs in the last 1/2" of travel .

Working the friction zone in traffic is easier with the cable simply because you can adjust the engagement closer to the grip.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
Having had both a Kingpin and Vision I don't feel I personally see the benefit outweighing the cost. I was very happy with my KP and felt plenty ready with the SAV-UR-RIDE in my side bag. No bags on your Pin? Tape it under the side cover. Cheap and easy.

Be sure you do get one off a Vision. You mentioned the XC too but they are not hydraulic.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Usually cables break right at the ball-connection point (either end). The reason is that without proper lube and maintenance the ball end doesn't properly rotate as the cable moves, resulting in the cable itself bending back and forth as it moves in and out. Thus the cable breaks. Clean and grease the ball-connection points (both ends).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.