VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After leaving Alaska a few months back I heard a new vibration that wasn't my headlight and didn't seem to be coming from inside my faring. I figured it out and have a solution for any of those that might be looking. On the Tour models the extra wind control on the bottom of the fairing is assembled using plastic pins inside of the plastic parts. The pins had worn so badly that the two pieces of plastic were rubbing and rattling against each other. See below for resolution!

Parts list(Lowes part numbers):
TWO - 1/4" x 1.5" stainless hex bolt - 396456 -$.47/each
TWO - 1/4" stainless Nyloc nut - 114172 - $.29/each
TWO - 1/4" bronze machine bushing - 215743 - $2.53/each
TWO - 1/4" stainless lock washers - $.16/each

The pins are two half barrels with a tab at the end to keep them seated together. Just push them apart from the ends.

Here are the two pieces of plastic that were rubbing/vibrating. Now that the pin is out the entire assembly can be disassembled and cleaned up nicely.

The two original pins along with a shouldered Stainless bolt that I cut to size, nyloc nut, lock washer used purely as a spring for the assembly to prevent noise and the most important part! Bronze machine bushings!

Here you can see the bushings cut to size and pressed into the plastic

Final assembled. This was put together with the bolt from the top with grease around the shoulder. The other end is the lock washer and then the nyloc nut. This assembly is extremely tight with the load from the lock washer but still allows the parts to rotate as original with little added resistance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Could you let us know the OD, or the source of the bronze bushing.? You seem to give an item/sku #

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could you let us know the OD, or the source of the bronze bushing.? You seem to give an item/sku #
Looks like it's from Lowes. I googled it and came up with this. I like it. I think I'll try this.

Inside Bushing Diameter 1/4-in
Outside Bushing Diameter 0.312-in
Material Bronze
Bushing Thickness N/A

Finish Bronze
Package Unit of Measurement Count
Package Quantity 1
Measurement Standard Standard (SAE)
Shop Hillman 1 Count 1/4-in Bronze Machine Bushing at Lowes.com

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Great fix. Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: Dman4486

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the write up!!

When you use QTY=2, is that to replace the top and bottom plastic pin fasteners of only one deflector? So other words I would need a QTY of 4 to do both deflectors?

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Any ideas what the buzz noise is coming from the rear of my bike. Only happens when accelerating with spirit in hand. I have tightened up my bag lids with better gasket and adjust the catch so they have no slip. Other than that I can’t figure it out. License plate maybe ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the write up!!

When you use QTY=2, is that to replace the top and bottom plastic pin fasteners of only one deflector? So other words I would need a QTY of 4 to do both deflectors?
This fix is only for the bottom of each side. The top is a different design and is where the friction for holding the set position comes from. Quantities are the total for both sides.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any ideas what the buzz noise is coming from the rear of my bike. Only happens when accelerating with spirit in hand. I have tightened up my bag lids with better gasket and adjust the catch so they have no slip. Other than that I can't figure it out. License plate maybe ?
I am yet to have any buzzing from the rear. One of the best tools I have found for identifying a buzz is a closed fist. Gently bang around on hard surfaces and listen for your Buzz.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
One of the best tools I have found for identifying a buzz is a closed fist. Gently bang around on hard surfaces and listen for your Buzz.
I tried that once and the bloody fly got away but my head connected nicely with the hand though, kinda sorta hurt.... :angel4:

Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Any ideas what the buzz noise is coming from the rear of my bike. Only happens when accelerating with spirit in hand. I have tightened up my bag lids with better gasket and adjust the catch so they have no slip. Other than that I can't figure it out. License plate maybe ?
Do you only hear that buzzing noise when the o' lady's on with you? I've noticed a buzzing noise and a thump on my back from time to time when she's with me.. but it's usually fixable with the proper application of the right wrist in an authoritative manner... Until you get to the next stop light anyways.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Do you only hear that buzzing noise when the o' lady's on with you? I've noticed a buzzing noise and a thump on my back from time to time when she's with me.. but it's usually fixable with the proper application of the right wrist in an authoritative manner... Until you get to the next stop light anyways.
Only solo and when accelerating with spirit.
When she's on though she hears it and I can't. So she's blocking the noise from me. Has to be in the rear. License plate or antenna or bag lid ? Thought I secured all 3 pretty well. Still there and it's intermittent

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts
@Dman4486 Great job. Not only is it fixed, it looks like it's better than new. I call that an upgrade!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Did mine with duct tape, bungee cord & a small stick.

Just kidding, mine is loose & I've been waiting for a chance to pull it apart.
Now I know how to fix it.
Thank you for a great post!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did mine with duct tape, bungee cord & a small stick.

Just kidding, mine is loose & I've been waiting for a chance to pull it apart.
Now I know how to fix it.
Thank you for a great post!
I thought about those resources... but then I couldn't find a paperclip, so I knew I was hosed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.