VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a two day ride, got soaked near the end of day one in the mountains. I'd been running between 55-70 mph until pulling into a little mountain town. 1st downshift from 6 to 5, hear a squeal noise that sounds like a dry clutch, 2nd downshift from 5 to 4, hear it again, but less so. Then, it went away, never to be repeated.

My belt runs just a little loose such that when it's cold (40's), it might chatter just starting off for the first time of the day. It was wet and in the low 40s.

Any reason that might be the clutch? It couldn't have been dry since I'm good on oil. Didn't squeal like that ever again the next day.

I did notice that you can really hear the difference in a dirty belt. Mine picked up road grit from running in the rain and was a little noisier. I knew it when I was next to a wall, building, or guardral.

Thanks for the feedback/input.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is not what is happening with your bike but the only time I heard a god awful squeal was when my wife tried to take off from a stop in 3rd gear on her Boardwalk by mistake. She has only done it twice but that is enough.
Now I have taken off by mistake in 3rd with no problem on my Kingpin.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Went for a two day ride, got soaked near the end of day one in the mountains. I'd been running between 55-70 mph until pulling into a little mountain town. 1st downshift from 6 to 5, hear a squeal noise that sounds like a dry clutch, 2nd downshift from 5 to 4, hear it again, but less so. Then, it went away, never to be repeated.

My belt runs just a little loose such that when it's cold (40's), it might chatter just starting off for the first time of the day. It was wet and in the low 40s.

Any reason that might be the clutch? It couldn't have been dry since I'm good on oil. Didn't squeal like that ever again the next day.

I did notice that you can really hear the difference in a dirty belt. Mine picked up road grit from running in the rain and was a little noisier. I knew it when I was next to a wall, building, or guardral.

Thanks for the feedback/input.
Clutch cable and/or Oil can cause an issue, the vision I bout would squeal after getting hot, I changed to a 20/50, not squealing..

My kingpin, I changed my oil to full synthetic victory oil squealed like a pig when hard on throttle, changed clutch(steels were blue) running 20/50 synthetic since install no squeal...

You might first want to check your clutch cable.... Should be a good bit of freeplay

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm waiting for Half_Crazy to chime in. He knows more about bikes than most of us put together.

Bike has 31K miles. I'm not hard on the clutch at all. Not like my dirt bike!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never really check it because it doesn't burn any. Just checked it a few moments ago--totally full to the full mark. There's about 2,200 miles on the oil.
2013 Hardball. i just run 20W-40 semi synth Vic oil.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Brother I’d check your clutch cable first. After my little trip to nationals (35K miles) there was enough dust & grit in the perch that it kept the clutch lever from fully disengaging. A quick clean and lube got everything back to the way it should be.

Do you rev match on the way down?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Brother,

I'll check it. It seemed okay (just a little freeplay at the end of the lever's throw).
I don't rev match. My skills are lacking. The only time I try it is going into 2nd gear because I can hear it chatter if I don't when I'm still going at 20 mph (not coming to a stop).

You going to Boise in June 2019?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.