VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

The bride just purchased a 12 Cross Roads (RED) with 33k miles. I have a couple of general questions. Also, a couple of things we noticed during test ride, etc.

The CR popped on decel. Will look at the headers and exhaust joints for leaks or looseness. It also popped during starting after sitting for a couple of minutes. IS there anything else I should beware of on this ride?

The CR demonstrated a pulsing when the front brakes were applied. To me, it felt like a warped front rotor. Sales guys said it could be the way the ABS works on these, or a tire. They ARE investigating before delivering next week. Have ridden other ABS bikes and not noticed a pulsing sensation, am curious if that was a SALESMAN's answer. Legitimate response from sales?, or am I looking at a new rotor?

What are some thing I should LOOK for on the used '12 Cross Roads? Left side cover to see if these is a fuel controller? How can I tell if the bike has had a stage I, or II kit? What are some areas I should give an extra look at? Air filter housing? Belt, swing arm, etc... I am not asking what mods we should do, more, what areas might be worthy of a more than casual looksey? Trouble spots, good things to look for etc.

I am still reading NEWBIE posts and WHAT TO ASK posts.

Thank you in advance. Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
388 Posts
Rylan at The Vic Shop DeSoto, IA would be one to ask. Also could talk about future upgrades. Great guy to talk bikes with, knows VICs and one of the top Vic experts in the country.

·
Super Moderator
26,151 Posts
Pops- Vics pop. Always have, always will. They are reduced by getting a tuner and good tune but you'll still get them from time to time. Nothing to worry about there.

Tuner- may be under the cover or possibly the seat.

Brakes- the ABS does not cause a pulse... Not during regular riding. Sounds like something is off. I would check the rotors and pads. To assure you it's not ABS know I have a 08 and 13 Vision. 08 no ABS, 13 has ABS, both feel the same under regular riding.

Stage 1- if it has factory Stage1 equipment it will have a set of Victory pipes in most cases. Regular Stage 1s or TriOvals most likely. This will be joined with a reusable filter too and a flash. Unfortunately there is no way to see if the flash was done. The dealer would have to check the ECU.

Reactions: lou8700

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greetings,
Thanks #VicVisionBulldog & #Parker3 for the responses. Absolutely, The Vic Shop is on the to do list.
Smokier

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Love the Cross Roads -- favorite bike of all I have owned.
"Stage 1" you will have tri-oval exhaust, but don't get excited, it only sounds better. No gains in performance whatsoever.
If you have quiet stock pipes, go to Witchdoctors.com and get his house-manufactured pipes for $350 and it will sound great without being too loud, and you WILL gain a few horsies.

If you have a fuel controller, the O2 sensors will be unplugged -- you will want them unplugged, anyway, for better perdormance.

I never had popping on decel. You're right to check for air leak at heads.

Lloydz has a set it and forget it fuel controller that works great on the Xroads, if you want, and he treated me terrific. His timing wheel made a real nice difference and is reasonably priced and an easy install.

No, your brakes should not pulse. Could be rust from sitting, or a slightly off rotor.
When the ABS kicks in, you'll know it. It pulses, or vibes and you can hear and feel it. Salesman is a dope.

You got a great handling, quick bagger. Super comfortable and better wind management than the Xcountry.

Post a picture or two!
View attachment 503597

·
Registered
865 Posts
Brake pulsing wouldn't be coming from the ABS. Take a look at your pads and rotors. If someone had run the rotors really hot, then come to a stop, the brake pad could literally glaze the rotor. You can see abnormal sheen when this happens and it's difficult at best to clear that sheen up.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the prompt and informative responses.
Would a warped rotor have enough warp to not lay flat? That is, if they were removed and placed on a flat, smooth surface and tested for flat, would that be enough of a test? Or could the runout still be slight enough for the above test to not show anything, yet be felt under front brake pressure?
Just mentally troubleshooting this before jumping in...

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Registered
865 Posts
Would a warped rotor have enough warp to not lay flat? That is, if they were removed and placed on a flat, smooth surface and tested for flat, would that be enough of a test? Or could the runout still be slight enough for the above test to not show anything, yet be felt under front brake pressure?

Ride safe,
Smokier
Because they are floating rotors, laying them on a flat surface wouldn't tell you much because you can't get the surface on the flat, only the rivets.
Warped might cause your problem, bit I think a vibration would be present when brakes are initially activated as well. But that would be pretty hard to tell since they are dual.
Of you have a video, maybe possible to identify warp at slower speeds through video.
Put the bike on jack, spin wheel, monitor? .

·
Super Moderator
26,151 Posts

Ride safe,
Smokier
Though you call them warped you are not really looking for a warp in the entire rotor. It is usually the groves created by running a worn pad. This groves can usually be seen and felt by running your fingernail across the rotor surface. If it does not feel smooth and your nail is catching you probably need rotors or to have them resurfaced if the damage is not gone past the point of no repair.

If somebody put new pads on bad rotors they are not going to work correctly or feel right.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks VicVisionBulldog, will inspect the rotors on Tuesday when we take delivery. They are reporting that the wheel was out of alignment and they have corrected. A short ride on Tuesday will verify.
Appreciate the response.

Ride safe,
Smokier

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the 'Oh BTW' category.

Accepted delivery of the XR this morning. Took her for a short (5 miles) ride in the 24 degree temps. The pulsing is gone when applying the front brake. Again, they had reported that it was a tire alignment issue and they had corrected it. All I can say is, it no longer demonstrates that behavior!

More importantly, it was great to get a ride in, even if only a quickie!

Ride safe,
Smokier

Reactions: mister-g

·
Registered
838 Posts
In the 'Oh BTW' category.
More importantly, it was great to get a ride in, even if only a quickie!

Ride safe,
Smokier
Yeah I always say if you don't have time for a lot of foreplay, quickies are better than nothing :makeout:

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Congrats on the Bike. Eastern Iowa,,,Rylan Voss, (The Vic Shop) would be my new best friend.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Glad to see you came to your senses and bought the right bike painted the fastest color! LOL!
My rotors give me the warped sensation about twice a year. I safely lift the front wheel off the ground, use 80 grit sandpaper on a block and sand the rotors. This cleans off the glaze that was previously mentioned by Cobra Rider. Turning the front wheel as you apply pressure to the sanding block makes the job much easier. I've got over 50,000 smiles on my XR. Enjoy!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't know exactly what they are called but, the grommet looking buttons on the rotors must spin freely for the rotor to "float". They sometimes get stuck and need to be freed up. I do this by spraying them liberally with brake fluid (don't get fluid on painted surfaces) and using an electric drill with the appropriate size E/Z out bit, apply to each "grommet" until it spins freely.
Betcha a beer this will fix your vibration problem. ;)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on the Bike. Eastern Iowa,,,Rylan Voss, (The Vic Shop) would be my new best friend.
:) Indeed, a spring time trip to have them give her the once over is already on my mind!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.