Another Harley vs Victory comparison | Page 7 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Another Harley vs Victory comparison

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Mountainrider, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ETrider

ETrider Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2021 Indian Challenger Dark Horse

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. catwrench59

catwrench59 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross country tour
    Very impressive bit of riding there for sure. At the start of the video with the 2 bikes side by side. You can see the difference in rake and trail of the 2 bikes. In a tight course I think the Harley has an advantage as previously stated. JMO. My good friend Greg that I ride with most of the time is a True Harley rider. He put over 15 K on his new 2015 Ultra Low and it has been a fine bike so far. His engine get highly modified before the bike leaves the dealership. Typically he will trade with about 60K on the bike. For the most part he is no different than any of us. He changes oil and tires and rides the hell out of his bikes. Now in normal riding if I lead when we get out of the twisties I wait for the rest to catch up. Point ride what you like they both have strengths and weaknesses. We have been on Victories for the last 9 years. However we tried lot of different bikes before buying the tour. Ride comfort ,handling , performance and overall quality The XCT won out for us.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    As long as at least try a Victory, then we know what happens then...

image.jpeg

:oilleak::fiddy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ETrider

ETrider Well-Known Member

2021 Indian Challenger Dark Horse
    Absolutely. I agree.

But the advantage is not as much as some would think (the biggest issue for the VIc is going lockout-to-lockout, which you have to do to leave the keyhole pattern in the video) and in the real world, other factors come into play. For instance, to get the most out of a Harley, officers are trained to sit on the gas tank (not joking). That's fine in a cone course, but a little less practical on Third Avenue or Highway 4.

The Vic has to take advantage of all of the real estate in a cone pattern. That means taking it wide (on approach) and driving it deep (front tire almost hitting the cone bases). Look at the video I posted above when he's in the intersection pattern. He swings out into the middle of the pattern because of the lockout-to-lockout going on and because he needs to set up his angle for the next "teardrop" turn.

I'll take the bike that's pretty darn good in the patterns and kicks butt in the real world; I'll take the Vic!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roadkill

Roadkill Roadkill

Victory Can-Am Honda
    +Earned aboard #2656...
    [​IMG]
    Ride on.
    Roadkill

6. DLpilot

DLpilot Member

2012 Victory XC Tour
    I brought HD 72 Sportster 1200 for my wife November 2014; she loved her new bike and it sounded way much cooler than my 2004 Goldwing 1800. The sales guy knew I was looking and possibly even willing to build a custom from the ground up.

In March 2015, the sales guy who sold us my wife's bike, calls me up with a proposition (which back fired...keep reading he was so full of himself he thought for sure I would buy) the snow melted early and he told me they had a 2015 HD CVO 110" he wanted "me to break it in" so they could rent it out in a month but he wanted me to put 300 miles on it, over the weekend from Saturday morning till Tuesday when they opened. I didn't know at the time, that a properly broken new motor should be driven mostly city and we live in a town that is 60,000 pop. not one of your major cities. I've never been so bored on a motorcycle because you can only see the same scenery so much. When 250 miles flipped over I couldn't wait to take it out on the freeway and drive it like "you stole it."

When all was done my wife said, "what do you think? Looks like you like it." I said, "It has a kick ass entertainment package (bluetooth, navigation, sound, etc) but its not worth $33,500.00 less taxes and title." I brought it back on Tuesday AM with 280miles and told the sales guy I wanted to think about it for a day or two. That afternoon a buddy of mine calls me up and says there is used Vision and Cross Country Tour down at the local Polaris dealer. So I take my Goldwing down there test drive the Victory CCT one mile (never got out on the freeway) came back put $200 down...I traded my Goldwing in for my 2012 CCT and took it out the door with 9,300 miles.

Last September, I brought it to the sales guy who sold me my bike and showed him all the upgrades and sound system. When turning the key over he stopped me and said, "Where have you been??" I replied, "All over!" I had 19,076 miles on the odometer. I drove my Victory twice as far in 6 months than I drove my Goldwing the four years I owned it.

The neat thing about owning both Victory and a HD. Is I don't have to ride my wife's bike and I get to wear Victory or Harley apparel.

Go Ride It!
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ariesnc

Ariesnc Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Magnum

Victory Police Motorcycles and Officer Justin Schopfer Kansas competition

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Nice video.

Don't think from my post I was saying that the Vics could not do a police course. I know they can. I was just saying that my Road King did lock out and turn a bit tighter than the Vision does which is expected because of the size difference. The Vision however is easier and more fluid in doing the maneuvers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    While the vid does show some good riding, I do think that course has been opened up a bit based on the parking space lines. I have run across some courses the Vics just cannot do.

A good rider on a HD is going to be able to make sub 16' turns running slow, a Vision is out there around the 17' mark. And a cross bike takes a slightly larger turn.

One of the guys I practice with rides a Road Glide and can make a figure 8 inside of a 30' circle, it takes a minimum 32' and preferably 33' for me to do it. My timing and transitions have to be perfect, of course his are too in the 30'.

The Vic has a huge advantage when you throw a little more speed in the course, of course the turns have to be a little larger, but a HD will in no way keep up as they will be scraping on hard iron in the lean.

"The Vision however is easier and more fluid in doing the maneuvers. " I couldn't agree more with that statement!

• Like Like x 1
  10. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I didn't realize that.

Yep, you start turning up the speed on the HD and it gets very loud with the metal dragging.

11. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Not wanting to revive an older thread, but I just wanted to post about a, (to me) amusing conversation I had with one of the guys I ride with. And, this is the place. OK. Last Sunday, we went down south on a little lunch/meet up kind of run. All together, 230 miles or so. Last night one of the guys we normally ride with came to me and was asking how come I was rocking the bike back and forth and moving kind of eraticlly. He thought I might be trying to keep my wife awake. I laughed and told him I was "dancing" the bike to the tunes we had going.

. His next comments were the interresting ones. First, the said, 'Yeah, I noticed that your bike really is easy to handle and moves really good side to side and in turns.' I agreed and told him that it's one of the things that you get with a Victory. Whatever they have done with the chasis, weight, and suspension makes these bikes handle like nothing else in the class. In fact, he also had commented earlier that it was "almost" sportbike like. I told him he should give them a try, since he has expressed a desire to get another bike sometime in the near future. He rides a Harley now and talks about how much he likes it, but I can see the wheels turning when we ride together and he asks me questions. Anyhow, his final comment was something about the great power his bike produces and yada, yada. (I've already smoked this guy riding two up to his solo, in the past). I just said, yeah, great bike and thanks. Man it just floors me everytime I see that Harley trance come over some one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1