1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Page 4 - Andy's Vision Experience
February 29, 2008
Day 14

After two days of cooler weather, the forecast for Friday looked good for riding. As you already know, I don't trust the weather forecasters as they have a difficult time predicting the weather 12 hours in advance in this part of the country. If the forecasts were as loaded with facts as the commercials promoting them are with hype, weather forecasts would be accurate. Doppler-this, Doppler-that. Friggen Doppler. Instead, they show pictures of cute babies and the forecasters are more personality than meteorologist. So, when I checked the forecast at 6:00am and it showed clear skies, the temperature in the low 60s and rising to the low 70s by afternoon. I thought the powers-that-be are with me, or are they? I was about to find out.

With the trunk removed, I used the Vision's custom luggage to pack overnight gear in the left saddlebag and in the right a few necessities such as a heavier jacket, the shock pump, LED flashlight with a bright strobe feature and, of course, some other gadgets. I reformatted and reloaded the iPod to make it a bit more Vision-friendly.

After riding the bike for a few weeks and started to understand the logic of the electronics, I put together a few new playlists. First and foremost I made a "Bike Music" playlist that included an eclectic mix of various songs that fit with riding. Not a Celine Dion track in the bunch. Then, I assembled ten other playlists and assorted them either by Artist or by Genre. This way, if I was in the mood for the Doobie Brothers, just press #7. If I want Jazz, #9. This made it more convenient to have the music I wanted on-demand at the press of a button.

I'm still not sure if I like the location of some of the buttons. The rubber buttons under each grip are a bit small and at night, only the cruise control button is illuminated. I think this could have been designed with a bit more thought. The console buttons near the fairing is a bit of a reach for someone of my size. The numbered toggle buttons are a bit better located. The heated seat controls take some getting used to as well. I'm one of those riders who really doesn't like taking my hands too far away from the grips or my eyes off the road...especially at 70+ mph.

Since today was a bit cooler than normal, it was no issue wearing the protective gear. I'm getting used to the Bohn "mantyhose," although I still feel strange wearing them under my jeans. But it's nice knowing they are there and hope I never have to put them to the test.

I have a Motogp mesh jacket with a removable waterproof inner liner and numerous protective pads that has been great for this weather. It breathes and is comfortable for Florida riding. I picked up a new pair of Victory perforated leather gloves with the gel padding in the palm. Of course, I had my helmet and the Bluetooth was activated so that if necessary, I could receive incoming phone calls. Allow me to be clear about this, I'm not one for talking on a cell phone, especially while riding. But in the case of emergency, it's nice to know that I can be reached if necessary.

I warmed up the bike in the driveway and programmed the GPS. The more I use the GPS the more I like it. I get lost finding Starbucks and this is the first bike I've owned with a navigation system and it's one feature I don't think I would want to live without. The majority of today's ride will be on Florida's Turnpike - a great touring bike road that's kept in good conditon and the GPS will come in handy when I reach the Orlando area as the map showed about a dozen quick turns off the exit. The iPod function was selected and off I went.

I'm only a couple of blocks from the Florida Turnpike and I have my removable Sunpass on the lower part of the windshield. If you're adding one of these, make sure you affix it when the electric windshield is in its lowest position. This way, it won't dislodge or stress the windshield mechanism when lowering it from the tall position. I left the house at 8:30am and there was little traffic on the road. Step 1 was accomplished - avoid the morning rush hour. The weather was bit brisk for Florida, but for riding it was perfect. When I entered the highway, by pure coincidence, I hear the Doobies' "Rockin' Down the Highway" playing through the speakers. Kismet.

I've found that for highway driving, with the iPod's volume set on full and the Automatic Volume Control (AVC) set on Medium, that I keep the music level between 10 and 14. Honesty, 13 seems to be the perfect setting, but maybe I'm superstitious and avoid that number. Hey, most hotels and office buildings don't have a 13th floor so evidently I'm not alone in this superstition.

The next song that popped up on shuffle-mode was Sting's "Brand New Day." Brand new day, brand new bike. Kismet again. Okay, the bike had it's first service, so it's not officially brand new, but the oil is new and the Vision is new. I'm stretching here. This was to be my first road trip on the Vision. For me, it truly is a Brand New Day.

I got up to speed and set the cruise control at 72mph - per the GPS. The speedometer on the other hand indicated I was cruising a bit faster than 75mph. This is a standard variance for most motorcycles that I once heard had to do with the manufacturer's liability insurance. I don't know if that explanation is fact or fiction.

I have to admit that I was a bit antsy about this trip as other than some 70 - 80 mile Vision rides, this would be a test of me and the bike and the result of this test would most likely determine what I'll be doing during the hot summer months.

Although I've not committed to a tour yet, I'm giving strong consideration to having the bike shipped to a Western or a Northern destination and joining up with a seven, ten or 14 day guided bike tour. I'd love to ride the Rockies or the National Parks - basically anywhere that's away from the Florida Summer heat and humidity. One reason I'm considering a guided tour is that it's fairly headache-free. They take care of all the arrangements, book the hotels and restaurants and have a chase car for luggage a mechanic for repairs and typically a medic for emergencies along with a satellite phone for emergency access in remote areas.

When I was working, I attended a Kawasaki product introduction trip from South Beach to the Keys and it was great and hassle-free. Like most of these trips, although the route is planned to be press-friendly, most of the guys usually break away and ride in smaller groups based on ability.

Because Kawasaki was showcasing a number of new bikes, they had planned stop areas every hour or so and we were supposed to swap bikes with other reporters. Some of the bikes they were showing were the smaller ones and since I've done this before, a buddy of mine, Jim (last name withheld) and I decided to pick two of the larger bikes and when it became swap time, to swap with each other. That sure beat getting stuck with a 500cc bike. Sorry Kawasaki, I surrender.

Jim started off on a Vulcan and I had a Cobra customized Vulcan - a really cool bike that if the badges weren't in place, I would have never thought it was a customized Kawasaki. Jim and I were old friends and were able to pull off the switch virtually unnoticed at each stop. This is probably the understatement of the year: Jim had an interesting and envious job. He worked for Playboy Magazine most of his life and for nearly 20 years wrote the famed column: The Playboy Advisor. Boy, did he have some stories. I'd share some of the stories here, but this is on the open web and I prefer to keep this site family friendly.

While riding the Turnpike, my first decision would be whether or not to stop at every rest station as I didn't want to ride fatigued and even a five minute stop can do wonders for the body. The first station was 40 miles from my entrance and there would be a rest stop every 45 miles or so. When I started seeing the signs for the first upcoming rest area, the decision was made, I kept going. I'd only been riding a half an hour and was feeling great. With each passing mile I was settling in a bit more towards the rear of the seat and after I found a good position I started adjusting my feet.

I know I made some rookie comments on the message boards about being able to stand to reposition myself while riding at highway speeds and was roasted for them. But hey, the Vision is laid out different from any other bike I've ever ridden and I was unfamiliar with its forgiving and flexible ergonomics. What truly amazed me was that this was the first cruiser I've owned where there is absolutely no need to install highway pegs.

Because I'm not a tall guy, I would usually have to have them custom made. Today though, I just stretched my legs and placed my heels on the front of boards. This was so cool - no need for highway pegs and still having my feet close enough to the controls if needed. Im still amazed that the floorboards allow for such versatility in placing your feet back or towards the front or directly below. While most cruisers have a designated riding position, the Vision is nothing short of versatile in this area.

About the time I'm amazing myself with the floorboards, along comes two Harleys in my rearview mirror. I'm guessing they were headed towards Daytona and would take the Turnpike North to I-4 then head East to Daytona. I really don't get this. Yes, I've owned three Harleys and all of them had a windshield. I've ridden bikes without a windshield on the highway and it's a real pain as you feel like a parachute in the wind. If you're not wearing a full face helmet, you're eating bugs. While okay during street rides, it's ridiculous at highway speeds as it's a recipe for fatigue and fatigue can be dangerous on two wheels. But I guess some people rather look cool than ride comfortably. I opt for the latter.

Well, not only did these guys ride bikes without windshields they were not wearing helmets. One of the bikes had ape-hangers and it appeared he was barely hanging on. The other bike had low bars and he was leaned over the front of the bike. When they passed me, they didn't even look to my side. I guess they couldn't move or they might lose control of their bikes. Looking at them, I wondered if they have a good chiropractor as they are surely getting beaten up. Maybe they were planning on hitting a massage parlor in Daytona to sooth their aches and pains. I wonder if they knew most massage parlors don't offer massages?

Yes, their bikes were well customized, painted and chromed, but I'll bet those bikes spent more time backed up in front of a bar than they did touring the highways. For the most part, show bikes are pretty to look at but ride and handle poorly. It was then I decided that I won't opt to head to Daytona after Orlando as I really didn't fit in with these guys.

I saw the sign for the next rest area and considering I've ridden about 100 miles I decided to pull-in. I felt great, no fatigue, no cramping, but it was time to visit Mother Nature. I guess that's one feature Victory forgot to include on the Vision - and I'm glad they did!

I used this stop to top off the tank - not that it needed it, but what the heck, I'm already at a gas station, so I pumped the petrol into the tank. I had read a few threads about the difficulty in filling the Vision's tank. I never had any issues with this. I simply placed the bike on the stand, opened the fuel door, removed the cap and placed it in the holder.
At a gas stop a few days earlier another rider walked over to check out the Vision. The one positive comment he made was about the gas cap and that I didn't have to place it on the gas pump. You can guess what he was riding.

Nonetheless, I simply start filling and when it gets to the top, I stop, give the bike a small shake and then continue filling slowly. When it nears the top again, I give it a few seconds to flow to the lower tank and continue. No biggie.

However, I realized something I hadn't noticed before. On my other bikes it was common practice to grab a windshield cloth and wipe the gas drippings off the tank. I haven't had to do this on the Vision.

At the next pump was a guy with a Suzuki Cruiser. I'm guessing it was about three years old. We talked for a few minutes and I asked how he liked riding without a windshield and he easily acknowledged that he wished he had one as he was stopping at every rest stop just to take a break. He had about another 100 miles to go to his destination. We rode off together and he tailed me most of the way, but at some point he slowed a bit as I'm sure it was more work for him than it was for me to cruise at the speed limit.

I was in the right-hand lane and saw a pickup truck approaching fairly quickly in the left mirror. Yes, with this bike you can actually see things in the mirror as there is no vibration. As it got closer it slowed a bit it then moved up to my side. The passenger nodded with approval and then sped up and kept going. In the bed of the pickup was a H-D mid-level cruiser. I guess he was headed to Daytona as well. I wondered why the bike was in the truck and not on the road? I'll never know the answer to that one. I guess it's nice having a bike that likes to be ridden.

I skipped the next rest stop and was feeling great. The sixth gear had the engine around 2,300rpm in 6th gear and the Level 1, Stage 1 pipes were humming in a mellow tone. They stayed mellow until I had the opportunity to pass and roll on the throttle which made the exhaust come alive. The instant MPG indicator had me hovering around 40mpg and that's a good thing with gas prices at $3.65 per gallon on the turnpike.

Around a year ago, I read a series of stories in the local paper about a Florida rookie politician trying to make a name for himself by removing the Citgo gas stations from the Florida Turnpike due to negative comments made by Hugo Chavez towards the USA and our President. A year later, all of the rest areas on the turnpike still have Citgo stations, so I guess he failed as they are still there. Our tax dollars at work! I guess I'm glad that he didn't try to do something important such as reduce violence as with his track record I'd be afraid of the outcome. Maybe Hillary could fix this..NOT!

At this point I can't believe how strong I'm feeling on this bike. When I had the Road King I would have started feeling a bit fatigued at this point. No fatigue and having fun. It was then I started thinking it was a reality of making the round trip the same day. Before I had left I had made arrangements to have my dogs taken care of in case I didn't return the same day. Evidently those plans were unnecessary as there's nothing at this point that makes me think I can't successfully and comfortably make the round trip in a single day. I was approaching another rest area and since it's been around 90 miles since the last stop, I pulled in.

100 miles was my typical stopping on my Goldwing. If memory serves me correctly, I remember looking forward to that 100 mile mark to take a few minutes to get off the bike and stretch a bit. I never dreamed that the Vision would allow me to ride so comfortably for so long. Okay, I'm starting to sound like a commercial - but I'm being honest here.
When I pulled over, I walked inside to grab a Starbucks and the line was too long, so I hit the facilities and went back to the bike to top off the tank. The line at Starbucks reminded me of one of those Yogi Berra sayings, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

I was carrying my helmet as I had no place to put it. This is one of the few features I with Victory would have added to the Vision - a Helmet Lock. I've never had another bike without this feature. Sure, when the trunk is in place, I can simply place the helmet in the trunk. But without it, I'm stuck carrying it. Yes, I could simply place it on the seat or on the right handlebar, but I'm not that trusting and wanted my helmet for the rest of the trip. I looked at the bike to try to figure out where would be the logical place to install a helmet lock without causing any damage to the bike when the helmet would surely bang against it. D'oh, Victory, this is one of the few things you screwed up on this bike.

The only place I found where it would work was if it was installed on the right tip protector. If it was on the bottom, it would be concealed but more difficult to use. I could put it on the top and it would be a bit unsightly, but it would be functional. I've always believed in the mantra, Form Follows Function, so unless I get a better suggestion, I'll soon be placing a helmet lock on top of the tip protector.

Fast Forward: When I got home, I went online to check out some helmet locks and found one that attaches to the tip of the right grip. It had a mention that it would only work with a specific type of grip and the way it was explained was like Greek to me as I didn't know what it meant. So, I guess I'll pose this question to Walt.

I noticed I only had around 50 miles to Cousin Billy's Hotel so I took a moment to give him a call. I was a bit ahead of schedule and told him the time estimate displayed on the GPS. About 30 minutes later, the phone tone sounded in my helmet which signaled an incoming phone call.

Believe it or not, the phone tone is "My Country 'Tis Of Thee." And I didn't see in the manual where it can be changed. I'm using the Cardo Systems Q2 Bluetooth unit and all I have to do is to start talking to answer the call.
Although I covered the tech industry for most of my life, I've never big a big fan of cell phones. I think they are intrusive and many people become fairly obnoxious with them. I've been on dates before where she will get a phone call during dinner from a girlfriend and chat away. Rude! And she later complained to a mutual friend that I never called her for another date. Hello?

Speaking of cell phone usage, when I moved into my neighborhood and went to the office they told me they only had two rules for the clubhouse and golf course: No denim and no ringing cell phones. I don't know if I agree with the no denim rule, but I applauded their no ringing cell phone statement.

Now, if we could only figure out a way to get phones out of the hands of drivers - even if it's just teenage drivers, I'd be thrilled. Maybe I should send a note to that politician who wasted our money trying to break a Citgo state contract. On the other hand, maybe I should try to find an honest politician. What am I saying? Am I losing my mind? They are probably going to waste another 15 years and billions of dollars to figure out our health care system is not as bad as Michael Moore says it is.

Billy had called as I had told him I had a Bluetooth helmet and being the tech guy he is, although he said he was checking my progress, I knew he wanted to hear how it sounded at highway speeds. He's seen more technology than I have and that's making a bold statement and he doesn't impress easily. He was impressed.

When I approached the exit, I knew I had a number of quick turns. The Garmin GPS did not let me down and it gave the directions clearly through the Vision's sound system. My only complaint is that before each turn announcement, there is a attention tone that sounds. When the radio is turned up, it sounds like it could explode the speakers. I tried adjusting the Garmin's volume, but it's a trade off. If I want to clearly hear the directions, I'm stuck with the loud tone. Maybe I'll try simply turning off the alert tone.

The good news is that the Garmin was programmed very well and the Navteq maps are great. Not only could it find newer roads (such as my street), when there were two quick turns, it would announce both of them. This way, when turning I would know whether to go towards the right or left lane after the initial turn. I love well thought out technology.

As I pulled into the hotel, Billy was standing outside. It was great to see him. I went upstairs to remove the mantyhose as they can be a bit awkward when off the bike. We then headed off for some Mexican food and some catching up. We always have great conversations about family and technology. Since he lives on the other side of the country, I'm glad I took the time to ride up there to see him.

We spent a few hours together and around 2pm I decided I better head out now or I'm spending the night in Orlando. So, I pressed the link to my home address on the GPS and said goodbye to Billy.

Just like when I exited, there were a number of quick, tricky turns to navigate to get back to the Turnpike entrance. When I got to the final turn and was entering the Turnpike, a car was blocking me and instead of stopping in the middle of the entrance ramp, I opted to enter the North bound lane as opposed to my desired South bound heading.

So, no big deal, I'll let the GPS get me back on track. The next exit would be seven miles. So I followed it and then noticed that the exit was taking me East on I-4. Maybe I was destined to head to Daytona after all. As I merged onto the Interstate, I noticed a big traffic backup. Since I was taking the next exit to get turned around, I could stay in the right lane which was unobstructed.

I saw a few riders in the traffic and can only assume they were headed to Daytona. I guess the duffle bags tied to the sissy bars were a giveaway. As I made the exit and was stopped at a light a car came up to my right and rolled down his window. He said, "I saw that bike on TV last night and it's better looking than it is on the commercial!" I thanked him and my media background forced me to ask which station he saw the commercial and he answered A&E. This was strange as a friend called the night before and she told me she saw the ad on the National Geographic Channel.

This is nuts. I know a bit about marketing to specific demographics and I was wondering what was going on in the minds of Victory's advertising agency. I had worked with a major ad agency a while back when my USA Today column was sponsored by Mercury. Their concept was that those interested in technology don't consider Mercury's as a purchase. Well, duh! Mercury's didn't have the product line or the features that would appeal to my tech-hungry audience so why would my readers consider a Mercury in the first place?

I attended a few advertising meetings and what struck me as strange was that the average age of employees working for Young and Rubicam (Mercury's Ad Agency) was in the late 20s. Before the meeting they were all joking about last night's South Park episode and what Kenny was up to. These were the same people spending megabucks on advertising buys for a car line that (at that time) appealed to the 60+ crowd. I should know as I was paid much more than I thought I was worth by them for a multi-year contract. So I'm wondering why Victory is advertising on National Geographic and A&E? Is this the audience that would consider a Vision?

In this economic environment, when marketing a product in the price range of the Victory, it seems wise to advertise to an audience who won't rely on financing to purchase a Vision. They need to appeal to an audience who will pay cash for a product that could be construed as the ultimate in remedies for s mid-life crisis. Yes, the Vision is a great bike, but for them to sell well, they need to go where the money is today. When the market stabilizes, that's a different story. If I was making the decisions, I would be advertising to the Wall Street crowd and place my ad dollars on stations such as CNBC. $25K is a lot of money for a motorcycle and in this economy where things are tight for most folks and financing is tough to get for many of us who pay our bills on time, why not go where the money is? Go figure?

I re-entered I-4 and while the West bound lane was empty, I waved to the bikers stuck in traffic heading the other way. I saw at least a dozen of them frozen steady and only two of them waved back. Maybe the glare of Vision's engine temporarily blinded them.

I'm now back on my route and have realized that wrong turn cost me around 15 miles. They were fun miles and I was in no rush so no biggie. While riding back as the clock struck 3:00pm, I switched to XM 152 to listen to Schnitt. He's great and started off the show as he often does in a rant. Maybe I identify with him, but I definitely like what he has to say. He's opinionated and so am I. I'd be a hypocrite if I stated anything otherwise.

As I'm driving back, I'm reminiscing that ride to Ohio with my buddies. One of riders was Slick Lawson.

I don't think that Slick was his real name, but all the years I knew him he was always called Slick.

Slick was nuts - in a good way. He looked like Santa Claus, only thinner. His red nose came from many late nights in bars. He was a funny, story-story telling kind of guy and people loved his stories. At the peak of his career he was a nationally recognized photographer whose images appeared in magazines worldwide. I remember when times got tough for him and he had been passed up along the way by younger, more energetic photographers, I had a book coming out and the publisher was planning the book cover. She asked if I wanted to have it photographed in New York or Nashville. I was told they had a list of approved photographers in most cities. She checked and Slick's name was on the list. It was nice doing this for a friend.

Slick was also an avid biker. There were few things he loved more than his bikes. Slick died a couple of years back of liver failure and for some reason I felt he was riding along with me that day. When I passed as semi I could almost hear him say, "Get On That Throttle, Boy" in his southern drawl.

I listened and got around that truck without feeling the wind it was blocking when I cleared the front end.

I've read some blog posts about people naming their bike. I've never named one before and if I had I would never name it after a guy. However, this is different and maybe Slick would be an appropriate name for my Vision. Slick Vision. Thanks Slick, we miss you.

On this journey, thinking of Slick made me think of another old friend, Paul. Paul was married to my cousin Susan and was a Doctor, a good Doctor with a strong practice. He was an avid runner, a health nut and a great father and husband. He was also a fun guy who could light up a room and make everyone smile.

When I purchased my first Harley, I kept my Honda Shadow. Paul used to sneak out of the office and come over and ride. He had a bike in college, but after he got married and started having kids, no more bikes were in his future. He wanted to borrow the Harley for afternoon rides and I counter offered with the Shadow. He complained but got his skills back on the Shadow. After a while I would allow him to borrow the Harley and take it for after work Summer rides though the back roads of Tennessee. I'm guessing his wife thought he was on a long run or something as she would have freaked-out if she had known he was riding a motorcycle.

One day, we rode over to the Harley shop where I introduced him to the owner. This was during the time period where a potential customer had to kiss-up to the owner just to have the pleasure of writing a deposit check and waiting up to six months for a bike. There were even people paying top dollar for used bikes and standing in line for the privilege. The owner cut him a break and told him to come back next week to see a Dyna Wide Glide that was coming in on trade. Paul was thrilled - then I asked him if he was going to tell Susan.

Paul's plan had been to keep it at my house and not tell the family. I had to tell him that I can't do that as when they find out they'll blame it on me. G-d forbid he got into a minor accident, it would be my fault. So he told his wife and after the shock wore off, she gave her seal of approval and after a while, even rode along with him on occasion. Susan's mother, on the other hand, didn't speak to me for nearly a year.

Around that time, Paul learned he had inoperable cancer and he only had a few months left. The last time I saw him, he was taking what would be his final ride. His Father-in-Law is my Godfather and was very close with Paul. After Paul passed he told me that he was glad that Paul had the opportunity to ride as he loved it. He was a great Father, Husband, Son and Doctor and he loved his Harley.

I mention this because when I walked into the Victory dealer to test ride the Vision, I had no intention of buying. I wanted to see it in person to check it out. I truly wanted not to like it. I have to admit that on the test, the Vision made me nervous - until I reached 10mph. I wasn't afraid of riding the bike, but initially I didn't feel comfortable with it in the parking lot. I was expecting it to handle like my Goldwing or Road King. Little did I know then not to fight it at low speeds - that it's intuitive and is designed to be easy to maneuver. Once I got it up to speed, it felt good. It fit. I wanted one. I told Walt I'd think about it and get back to him. I'm sure he's heard this before.

I first called Walt when I saw the bike showcased on CNBC from the NY Motorcycle Show in January 2007 to say I had some interest. He told me I would be number four on the list that he had existing customers that would come first. This spoke very highly of how Walt treats his customers. I asked if he was taking deposits and he said not at that time. WHAT? A bike dealer who turns down money? This was a foreign concept to me.

It seems that Victory did not give many details about the bike to dealers other than it's coming. I remember asking Walt if the main difference between the street and tour was the trunk and he gave me an honest, "I don't know, but when I find out, you'll know." That was refreshing and a response I hadn't heard from bike dealers before. Many months later when the waiting list started, Walt called with the details, but I had lost my interest and decided I'd wait to read the initial reviews and let Victory get the initial bugs out before buying. It's always a gamble being an early adopter.

Fourteen months later, I called Walt to setup an appointment. After checking out the Vision, I decided to take a test ride. John at Walt's dealership gave me a route and said that if I wanted, take it a second time. After the parking lot jitters and I was rolling with my feet on the floorboards, I slowly started getting the feel if this machine. This was different than any other bike I've ridden or owned. I've had 11 bikes at this point and felt I knew a bit about them. The styling of the Vision caught my interest. Riding it captured my attention. I took John up on his offer and continued the route for a second time. I was hooked, but I didn't want to be.

Since I owned my last bike, I had taken up golf. Could I play golf and ride? I was trying to justify not buying this bike. But I knew this would be a futile exercise and the memory of Paul came to mind. Life is too short, enjoy it while you can. I called Walt and basically told him to "wrap it up" We did the majority of the deal over the phone and he delivered the Vision to my house a week later.

All of these thoughts were going through my head on the drive home from Orlando. The next thing I hear was the GPS announcing my upcoming exit. It was a bit after 6pm and Schnitt was signing off for the weekend. A press of my thumb changed me back to the iPod. I wasn't thrilled with the song selection and skipped to the next track in the shuffle and ironically, Don Henley's "Taking You Home" appropriately came through the speakers.

I can't believe it, I just rode the Vision, or shall I call it "Slick" 350 miles and I feel pretty good.

As I pulled into the driveway, there was a feeling of accomplishment - I was all smiles - no bugs in these teeth! I remember asking myself, where's the next destination? The Keys? Daytona to see my old friend Huey? St. Augustine? I'll figure that one out very soon. Possibly, weather permitting, next week.

This was a good day. It was a great day. And for once, the weather forecasters got it right.

I'll be taking a break for a few days, but I'll be back.
Read More...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been looking for a helmet lock for the Vision.... have you had any luck yet? Just wondering.... I did find this:
http://www.hellrisercustoms.com/bikes/84/maker/KEWL

but, $100 for a helmet lock? I guess Victory didn't want to add to the cost of the bike?

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks HDJoe for bumping this thread back up. This was part of the daily Blog I was keeping on my initial experiences of getting back into riding after living in an area that was not rider friendly.

I haven't re-read it since I posted it more than a year ago. It's nice to re-live those initial experiences.

For the helmet lock, it seems that should have been incorporated into the design of the Vision. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I went to murrays auto parts and for 10 bucks i picked up what they call a spare tire lock, it has about a 20" cable and a master lock with 2 keys. One of the keys went on the ring with the bike key. When i have the trunk off the car i just loop the cable around the chin part of the helmet and then the grab handle of the bike. Just long enough to loop it , lock it , and set the helmet on the seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.