And so it Begins | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

And so it Begins

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by NY mike, Aug 29, 2020.

1. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Vic magnum harley ultra
    We just got word locally that 2 HD dealerships in our area are closing. I’ve been saying for a few years now, they don’t have the sales to support a company this size. What gets me is the one is holding it’s own but with the HD franchise deal they can come in at anytime and say sorry your out. All the blood sweat and tears you put into something you love and BAM your out. That’s some Bull$hit ! Anyways I believe a lot more of this will come in the next year. Over 700 dealers in the US and the regrouping for survival I believe is coming with a major downsizing for survival. Time will tell they are hurting money wise pretty bad. Over 4 years of sales continually dropping hard. I know this is not an HD site but I thought being as it’s a major part of the motorcycle world I’d just toss it out there. 700 workers layed off so far this year and another plant closed overseas due to lack of sales last week. Getting a little scary for them

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Too many dealers as it is. Trying to sell something most don't want. Bikes are hard to sell even without a pandemic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mdhall41

mdhall41 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision
    I've been expecting it for some time. Unlike a lot of Vic owners I want HD to succeed. I want to see American V-Twin manufactures in general succeed... that's a type of bike I enjoy riding. I want to see healthy competition in the V-twin and touring market. Unfortunately, I think there's less and less riders every year that are willing to drop 25-40K on a motorcycle. I like them, but with the abundance of used bikes I can't fault anyone for that... there's just relatively no incentive to paying that kind of money for a bike when you can grab such deals for 5-10K. Couple that with less and less people entering the sport/hobby and you have dealerships struggling.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. IndyVictory

Yep. Bikes last a long time and even at a dealer you'll walk away with a much better deal used than new. At least you should. Had some guy being annoying when I rode my bike somewhere. He was going on and on about how he had an awesome deal on a used bike $35k out the door. I really don't know what to say to that. My uncle loves his HD and so do others in my family and they paid nothing close to that. Good bikes he rides more than I do.

Lot of dealers closed and not just HD. The market has been shrinking every year. Less and less people want to ride. Just a fact. Everyone in my family rides and I started late but I don't plan to give it up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Active Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    Within a 100 radius of Houston we have 11 Large Harley Davidson Dealers!
    There are 20 in the whole state. All around Houston , Dallas Austin and San Antonio areas.
    Even with the population of over 9 million in the Radius around Houston there is no way they can all survive considering the ongoing decline in motorcycle sales.
    HD base is declining faster than other brands base and they have made many ill fated attempts to appeal to a younger market. The Live Wire electric bike is a flop after sucking up 10's of Millions of HD resources. At least Indian aka Polaris realized the nostalgia market was limited and now offer s modern looking machines. Harley tried with the V-Rod which was a great bike (I had one) but it had its issues which they never really addressed and they spent very little marketing it or massaging it to appeal and compete with the Asian bike market. There are lots of other issues with the HD brand , too many to go into but the bottom line is they spent too much marketing their Brand to their existing base and are paying the price.
    I hope they can survive, it's a great American Brand and a survivor. I f they did go under they would get scooped up by another company that could hopefully revive it and breath some new life into the brand. The name and the brand are too valuable to fade into history.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    $50k ...tags don’t help either

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Active Member

The base MSRP on the Road Glide Limited is $28.5K but try to find one ! The dealers here load them up with accesories and none on the floor are under $35K and the CVO is was over $50K
    Was at a Honda Dealer a while back with a friend, They had brand new 2020 Goldwing Tour DCT (base $28500) you could get out the door for $26K.
    Not sure how the Indians are dealing right now but, your right, you get major sticker shock when you go into a HD dealer!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    ...times any price you see by 25% for the Canadian market :0(

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Active Member

Ouch! When I lived in Buffalo we used to go to Toronto and shop because the exchange was the other way. then it changed and Canuks came to Buffalo to shop!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NY mike

NY mike Well-Known Member

Vic magnum harley ultra
    Well the only time this new upcoming generation is interested in riding a bike is if it’s in a video game. It sucks but it’s a fact of life nowadays. My 3 sons ride but probably because it was in their face since they were baby’s. This helps nothing for motorcycling the way kids are today. Harley screwed up by constantly relying on the customer loyalty that served them so well for decades. Especially when your the only American iron game in town. Guilty right here for decades I would only ride American iron. Lol yeah caught in the HD plus club life trap. But it’s a different day and they are realizing it. Hopefully not to late

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

2011 KP
    Harley didn't need all the dealerships. it's just that they did need all the service centers for repairs and the new bikes just seemed like a good match at the time.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Harley’s in deep sh!t after canning Levitich and installing a new CEO that wants to abandon new growing segments to focus on their “core” business, you know thenpart that isn’t growing. Genious. At the rate their sales are declining they don’t have much time left before revenue is less than debt payments. At which point Polaris buys the brand in bankruptcy court and bails on Indian.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    I don’t think Victory Owners want HD to fail, alot of us have owned HD and I would now if the Victory wasn’t a much better value. That said, they aren’t worth the coin they are asking...

My observation, they built too many Bikes and a rider doesn’t buy them like a car and yet they priced like cars...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
  14. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Active Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    What American wants an American company to fail??? We’d all b @ that dudes house with R pitchforks & lanterns. We just want our reliable, easy 2 maintain, reasonably priced V twins not 2 cost 1/2 the price of a house to buy 1 new. & maybe some good bbq, cold drinks, lil $ & lots of tang b4 bed & we’re good

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. IndyVictory

Absolutely don't want any bike company to fail. We need competition to keep innovating and evolving.
    Something HD has refused to do forever but now they are trying to play catch up. Tighter and tighter emissions standards and such will force them to change. I would never buy an air cooled HD even though I have family that loves them they run hot. Probably hotter than my Vic which I know can get toasty. Liquid cooled with that classic sound, put it in a better looking package with more storage space. Then it might appeal to me, oh wait that's what Indian is going to do first. HD playing catch up while sitting on a massive amount of inventory they can't sell. I read on one of the business websites last year that every big bagger HD makes is sold for over 50% profit. They refuse to compromise on that got to pay those shareholders so bike prices keep going up up up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1