AMSOIL MOTORCYCLE OIL | Page 7 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

AMSOIL MOTORCYCLE OIL

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by crown1king, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Well, I have just read a pretty extensive report that was done a few years back by our good friends at AMSOIL that put a number of the most popular brands of motorcycle oils through some pretty rigorous scientific tests. These tests were run, data was collected, results were tallied and final scores or rankings were issued.

Well first off, guess which oil achieved the highes scores? No too hard to figure out, huh! :badgrin: But you know what? I believe it. The tests were real, the data was there and the resuts are what they are. AMSOIL really is the Sh!t. But fear not, Vic oil users, the polaris Victory oil product received consistently high rankings and held its own, finishing 4th overall out of 15 that were tested. At the given price point, the Vic oil actually provides a better value propostion. Having said that, I think I am going to change at 4000 miles rather than 5000 like I currently am. This is due to the result after the 4-ball bearing test and acid nuetralization tests. Other than a 4K interval I will stick with the Vic oil. Turns out it's pretty good stuff!

2. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    If you would of told me 5 pages ago this would be another 6 page oil thread I would of said "No sofa king way"

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    :banghead:...nuff said

4. vindex1963

vindex1963 Administrator Staff Member

2015 Cross Country...2006 Triumph Rocket 3
    Oh it's never enough said ever.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    interestingly enough this thread has taken a turn for the best. No naysaying as usual and some very good opinions on a new topic have risen.
    These oils need to meet a JASO MA /MA2 rating as required for a shared motor / trans /clutch and should be used in a bike with a catalytic converter. The new engineered for Victory 20/40 Amsoil Is tested and labeled accordingly. So are many other oils.

Bottom line......its still Motorcyle oil made to perform in a motorcycle. Yes ?

So we have pretty much summed up the fact that bearing skate is myth ? Personally I'm still interested in this subject.

40 wt MC oil only is the only oil to use in a Vic 106? Not according to some of our heavy hitters.

Victory Does not label the classifications / certifications on their bottle of oil? Ok ...... Why ?

So .......What's there to argue about. ?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ghostrider25

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. vindex1963

vindex1963 Administrator Staff Member

2015 Cross Country...2006 Triumph Rocket 3
    Vic oil isn't JASO MA/MA2 rated weird huh it's not listed anywhere bet it's the big $$$$ to get those ratings. Seems the millions of gallons of oil Rotella sells to truckers outweighs what we use and i don't blame them it's business. T5 is just a JASO as Vic oil they just do like VIC and pocket the cert money instead of spending it.

I asked Rotella if they're going to get the JASO and this was the response:
    "While I’m not always aware of our marketing group’s priorities, I doubt that it is likely we would seek JASO MA or MA2 certification for the Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend products in the near future. While use of our Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40 in equipment with a wet clutch has become a good niche market for us, it is just that – a niche market. Truthfully, certification takes money, and I don’t believe this area is a current priority for Shell Rotella T5 oils."

I respect that no bullshit response. Makes me like them even more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ghostrider25

Truth! Lots of guys use Rotella here and they swear by the stuff. Further, I have heard of no engine failures linked to the use of Rotella. So there it is.... BOOM!

(Drops mic, walks away...) :rofl2:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Funniest thing yesterday. I was changing the oil in my Honda outboard. A 150 Vtec that holds 6.8 quarts of oil.
    My Son in law and I shared a few beverages while the oil was draining. He noticed it coming to an end and went to put the plug back in.
    Stop ! I said. Let it drain.
    we had a discussion about how much oil could possibly be left in there. I said ........ I can get a 1/2 quart more.
    He said never going to happen .

LMAO. I sat there with a funnel and an empty quart bottle and let it drip. The new filter was on so nothing came from there. Do you know 2 beers later I filled that quart bottle to the full line! He couldn't believe it.

This came to mind and we discussed going to a 10 minute oil change facility. How many cars drove away with close to a quart of contaminated oil still left in the engine. Paying for up to 5 quarts of oil but in fact may have only gotten 4 ?

I PUT 6.8 QUARTS OF OIL BACK IN THAT MOTOR. The dip stick read on the money. Had I have let him put the plug back in when he wanted to my once a year new AMSOIL 10W30 MARINE CERTIFIED FOR 4 STROKE ENGINES
    would have share its life with a quart of lifeless spent contaminated oil.
    Oh the thought just really bothers me. Something to ponder

• Like Like x 1
  10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I know you like the price of their products Vin. True that is a no BS response and I like it too. They are the largest in the diesel truck market no doubt and have to prove nothing to sell to the MC owner. The fact that they do is a nice bonus for them. If they never sold another gal of oil to a biker they wouldn't miss it either so why spend the money and time.
    Now a motorcycle specific oil? I prefer to see that the testing and certification be on the bottle.
    For the price of MC oil it should be noted. On the bottle.

11. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    oil thread over sex? YOU are a very devoted contributor :clap:

12. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    Vic oil works.. it has to.. since they would be on the hook for all the repairs if it didn't. No-one is disputing that. What I can't stomach is the profiteering they engage in with the pricing. Going to a vic dealer to get an oil change is a sobering experience. I suppose if you're in their target audience and only ride enough to need a change once a year it's not that big of a deal... but if this bike is your primary transportation you may end up needing 3 or 4 or more changes a year. That my friends, is a very expensive proposition, both in time and money.

I used the Rotella dino oil for several years in my vics. Used the same service interval as Vic and it performed about identically from my seat of the pants observation. I could probably get 3 oil changes to 1 compared to the vic oil.. and I did it in my driveway toot sweet.

Vic puts this massive premium on everything they sell...I've yet to find a single item that is reasonably priced if it has the vic logo on it. They're allowed to sell stuff for however much they want, it's a free country. I'm just as free to buy elsewhere to get a lot more bang for my buck. Unless and until the cost of and quality of Victory oil significantly improves.. it probably won't be seeing the inside of my engine case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I would like to know the composition of Vic oil. It did do well in the Amsoil MC test. It also showed that it is not a long life oil.
    I never had an issue with it. I had an issue with the price of it for only being a 3000 mile oil. Rotella is a tremendous value compared to Vic oil. Amsoil more so because I pay the same for it and have the benefit of a full synthetic top brand oil that easily will go the distance. The most I've gone on Amsoil 10/40 is 6300 miles. It never told me I needed to be changed. I just figured I should. I now use the new Vic labeled 20/40. I only switched because I was told the new spec was engineered for catalytic converters. Otherwise I would have stayed with the 10/40.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  14. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    Same thing as me, used Rotella, switched to Amsoil using the new 20/40 vic branded. Not so much because of the cats.. those sorta kinda fell outta my pipes along the way...

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    No cats ? Fell out ? Lol
    You can use the 10/40 formula if you like. I never would have switched from it if it wasn't for the SLICK marketing of the new formula (had to try it) and a lengthy Conversation with my AMSOIL rep as to the differences leading mostly to catalytic converter issues. Apparently if the oil is not so formulated it could leave an oily film on the cats causing clogging leading to failure. So this new formula may be lacking in an additive or may have an additive preventing this action. I asked if the new composition of the oil would be easier on the clutch fibers to help reduce slippage. The answer there was " all of our MC specific oils are safe to use in Victory clutches.
    So No Cats?
    Use any of Amsoil's MC specific oils if that's your choice