AMSOIL MOTORCYCLE OIL | Page 11 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

AMSOIL MOTORCYCLE OIL

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by crown1king, Mar 18, 2016.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    I know this sh!t is fun isn't it ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. vindex1963

vindex1963 Administrator Staff Member

2015 Cross Country...2006 Triumph Rocket 3
    That it is the only thing that seems to be missing anymore is the knob that will spout out the
    "It's lifeblood my bike is worth it" crap that one always made me laugh but those types seem to
    have gone the way of the chopper fad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. PascoFloyd

PascoFloyd Active Member

Cross Roads
    Just FYI, I am not an Amsoil dealer but have been using it for like 30 years. In 2003 I started doing oil analysis on Amsoil 10w40 to extend oil changes on my 1500 Suzuki Intruder. Amsoil said I could double my change intervals using their oil and filter. I got a good for continued use on a 10k oil sample. Well good enough for me, I changed it at 10k. After 113k miles on 10k mile oil changes never a problem. At 100k It had had 5 psi less compression than new and ran and sounded new at the 113k. I traded it in and bought a new Vic CR, I change the oil and filter between 8 & 10k. I have almost 50k on it now, not one problem. A few months ago I done a new oil analysis at 6k plus using the new 20w40 amsoil just to see how the new blend was doing. It lost no viscosity, everything looked great and it was good for continued use. Im not going to spend more money on oil analysis now, I will change it between 8 & 10k like I have been. Tests are proof, all else is opinions. To each their own. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, that's whats really important. Peace out..

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Oh man Vin don't bring up the Chopper thing. My buddy Paul spent over 50k on a Big Dog. It's nice but not 50k nice. Anyway he's had it long enough and can't get 15k for it. Sad.

5. vindex1963

vindex1963 Administrator Staff Member

2015 Cross Country...2006 Triumph Rocket 3
    15K if he's VERY lucky and the guy is drunk. I remember when they were going for huge $$.

6. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Ok. Time to rekindle. Did a little hearing test. Listened to 2 bikes side by side. Next to mine. They fired up their Vic's. Then I did mine. We let them warm up and idle for a good 5 mins while shooting the breeze. Suddenly one of us says listen to the difference between our motors. Getting close to each one(clutch side)and listening it was interesting to hear there's compared to mine. I was the only one cammed and running Amsoil 20/40. One was a custom hammer everything but cams. And the other a stock Vision. Mine sounded very smooth. Clean. There's sounded like they were laboring almost like they were tired. Noisier for sure.
    Just an observation they did bring it up and asked what oil I used. They used Vic oil.
    Ok ......... Ready .......... Fire !! :rocket1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Roadkill

Roadkill Roadkill

Victory Can-Am Honda
    +That was, of course, comparing apples to oranges to coconuts, so... carry on!

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    AMSOIL ZO#523520
    (Now with Live Credit Authorization and PayPal. I've reached the '90s!)

8. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Haha! How you figure ? They were 3 106 motors all with well over 15 k on them. I had the most miles. I think my VM1 cams changed to sound of my motor the day they were Put in. Amsoil smoothed it all out. Clutch works great too

• Like Like x 1
  9. T BONE

T BONE Active Member

2013 Cross Roads Classic
    Think about this for a moment in regards to Synthetic being to slippery for ball bearings to roll, jet aircraft engines all have ball bearings and have been using synthetics for a few decades I know this as an Air Force flight line mech from the late 70's thru 80's and never one did I see bearing failure to slick my foot, I also saw a video where it was said that Vic oil rejects heat better and I say B.S less friction reduces heat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ampdreamer

Ampdreamer Well-Known Member

2004 victory vegas
    I agree with the amway comment. I work for a major auto parts retailer/ service center, we tried to buy amsoil wholesale and they would not sell to us directly even though we wanted to buy by the tractor trailer load. We have over 800 locations. They missed out big time when the buyer got fed up and decided to carry royal purple instead. Well back to the question at hand. I think amsoil products are top of the line , but way over priced. I have a used bike bought with 14,000 miles. Don't know what oil previous owner used but my 1st change I used 20w-50 Castrol full synthetic. It worked fine. After reading many posts on here I just switched to full synthetic Rotella 5w-40. Only been on one ride since switch. Clutch and trans seem to be working great and the motor tapping sound seemed to lessen. I think I'm a new Rotella advocate. Plus the pricing is way less than any other full synthetic oil.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ampdreamer

2004 victory vegas
    I see many great mechanics that really don't know facts about oils. In the car industry many different transmissions use different types of trans oil. I have had many experienced great techs tell me that they have changed fluid in a trans and it stopped working. One even told me he put back the old used fluid and it started working again. I can't understand that he didn't realize he put the wrong type of transportation fluid in. He and many other have told me just don't change your trans oil. There is attleast 6 different car trans fluids and if you put the wrong one in your trans won't work right. This is crazy thinking, so back to my point. There are many great techs that don't understand oil. Maybe if you want to really know the truth you need to talk to the people that develop the oils not the people that work on the engines and transmission. I have talked to people that develop oils and my eyes have been opened.

12. Ampdreamer

2004 victory vegas
    Here is a good one for you all. I had a royal purple employee walk into my store to buy mobile one gear oil. He told me royal purple motor oil is better than the mobile one but mobile ones gear oil out performed the royal purple. Go figure? So maybe the thing to take from that is just because one company make one product very well doesn't mean all their products are great.

13. Kwebber

Kwebber Member

2015 Cross country tour
    I Hear ya. I remember in the the mid 90s they would say not to run synthetic in my Harley's because the bearing sliding not rolling. So then Harley comes out with their synthetic oils and now it's ok. Their screaming eagles came new with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    jenner.jpg
    Maybe change to a "cereal" thread :badgrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Well-Known Member

2020 Harley FLHCS 114.
    I am also one of those Rotella advocates. I just switched from T-6 to T-5 just to compare between the two. I have a 1500 mls on the T-5, so for all good.