VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Leah is off on another short adventure. Went from New Orleans to someplace in the Blue Ridge area.

Got a text from her that her bike ('03 Tri Bonny) was making a noise that sounded like a rear wheel bearing.
First shop said yeah wheel bearing but wouldn't work on it.
Second shop said transmission but wouldn't work on it.
Third shop said leave it so she did.

About a half hour later she got a call that the bike was ready to go.

Dry speedo cable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just paid out $1000 beans to have my fuel pump replaced in my 2000 GJ cherokee, only later to find it was an electrical short somewhere else.
Another of those I should have tried to fix it myself things.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Have you seen a neurosurgeon? Maybe it's not the car...

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
bolt loose or missing from suspension somewhere. Need a good light and a little time for a good look. Smarter than mechanic? No. Care more about my bike? yes.

I had a Corona once that would not start. Fuel, fire, all there. Drove me nuts for two days searching for the problem...Then, I'm just standing there with the cap off of the rotor staring and lost. And I see it. The cam on the points are on the high side of the lobe, but closed. Turns out, the points had worn and were riding the cam, never opening. Set of new points, good to go. Learned right there......always check the very basics first.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I have a guy that had a similar problem with a vibration on his work van. He tinkers on the van himself with general maintenance items and pays attention to what his vehicles tell him. Had a shop tell him it was the ball joints another said it was tie rods. I had just replaced some of those components earlier this year or late last year (time goes so fast) but I put it up on the lift and gave it a quick once over just in case.

Knowing the history of a vehicle can play a big part in diagnosing an issue with so many moving parts

I took it for a ride and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, looked at the tires , looked like he had waited to long rotate them once. Recommend he change the tires if he wanted this I can barely feel vibration gone. The tires still had like 15-20k worth left but he replaced with new and happy he did.

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's why I don't trust my bike to just anyone.
At least she found the one out of three that was competent!
In my mind the proper word is not "competent" but "honest". If the first two shops didn't take the time to investigate such a rather obvious problem they should have just said they don't know what the problem is. Leave the bike as it will take time to determine the problem.

Also, don't kid yourself, some shops try to take advantage of women.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
bolt loose or missing from suspension somewhere. Need a good light and a little time for a good look. Smarter than mechanic? No. Care more about my bike? yes.

I had a Corona once that would not start. Fuel, fire, all there. Drove me nuts for two days searching for the problem...Then, I'm just standing there with the cap off of the rotor staring and lost. And I see it. The cam on the points are on the high side of the lobe, but closed. Turns out, the points had worn and were riding the cam, never opening. Set of new points, good to go. Learned right there......always check the very basics first.
how do have fire/spark, but the points were never opening up? Nothing is missing in the suspension and nobody has guessed right.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
In my mind the proper word is not "competent" but "honest". If the first two shops didn't take the time to investigate such a rather obvious problem they should have just said they don't know what the problem is. Leave the bike as it will take time to determine the problem.

Also, don't kid yourself, some shops try to take advantage of women.
very true. People like to rag on mechanics, but some problems manifest from another issue. They might fix one thing, even though something else is causing it and not realize it. It happens to every mechanic. If that bothers people, don't ever go to the doctor then, because they'll just practice on you with your money. The mechanic might have gotten lucky by checking the speedo cable first.

There's another issue with my car that would probably have fooled some mechanics and everyone on here. The transmission would occasionally shift hard. Now, it did have a transmission code that can cause this, but even if it was fixed, it would still happen after that.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
So since we have some people on here smarter than mechanics. I have a 01 Buick park avenue that vibrates when braking, but doesn't do it all the time. What could it be?
Of course we can rule out the obvious like rotors, tires, mud in the wheels, stuff like that since you are trying to test us, but I have actually seen a cracked steering column cause exactly this symptom.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Of course we can rule out the obvious like rotors, tires, mud in the wheels, stuff like that since you are trying to test us, but I have actually seen a cracked steering column cause exactly this symptom.
I kinda wanted to see if anyone would say warped rotors, even though rotors don't warp. I'm not feeling it through the steering though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.