VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I hop on the vision to go for a ride, she starts off telling me to just head wherever the bike wants to go... Then she tells me go towards Auburn... From where I was now leads me to make a couple turns, then on a bridge with a good curve in it...

Thankfully I was on a bike, not in a car...

I was left of my lane, and saw the car coming, slightly across the double yellow, I moved to the center of my lane, by then time the car and I were crossing paths, I was right next to the sidewalk, and the front bumper of the car was at my highway peg(3" away from the peg) by the middle of the curve(old lady, somewhere late 80's) she was completely in my lane behind me....

This is the kind of **** that happens when I leave home the GoPro.....

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a lot of people in minnesota. There isn't a lot of curves here and people are too stupid to follow the lines. It's mostly middle aged and older people who do it
I don't know if she was just mystified or what, but seriously, me right there at her window didn't phase her, she continued turning into the lane, it was a 25mph curve I could typically do 70 on, but thankfully I listen to my lil inner voice that was saying g "don't do it".... So I was doing 30..... Saw her nose coming in my lane and I started moving to the right, till I passed her..

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I find the problem seems to be a lot of folks don't really know where their car is or how far away the right edge of the road is. They dive deep into the curve simply because they are unaware of how much room they really have, thinking they have much less. Not saying it makes up for it, but that's my opinion on it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Man I don't like it when someone's tire edges over the line let alone damn near pinning me to the curb! Glad to hear you and the Missus are OK!

·
Registered
659 Posts
That happened to me by a Semi truck coming over the double yellow over the Forrest hill bridge! Had to pull way right right in the lane not to be taken out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That happened to me by a Semi truck coming over the double yellow over the Forrest hill bridge tween Auburn and Cool! Had to pull way right right in the lane not to be taken out.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yah, Auburn's good for that sorta stuff... back 'bout '99 there was a group o' bikes on I80-E goin' through Auburn. I think it was right 'bout where the off ramp for CA49 is. Well, the sporty at the back of the pack was not keepin' up, a woman driver was followin' the pack too close, leaned over to fiddle with her purse (on the passenger side), she looked up when she felt a bump. Well, there was the sporty rider's full-face helmet stickin' in her cab. Lady got so excited she slammed on the brakes... yep, ya guessed it--tore that boy's head right off.

Although I wasn't there I heard 'bout it from a guy at work who helped move (or remove) the body from the car. The story was in the news also. On the other hand, Auburn does have a nice In-N-Out 'Urge at the top of a hill on CA49.

Reactions: nickr914

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad you guys are alright!! Makes me think maybe self driving cars are the way to go......

• Haha
Reactions: primethious

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man I don't like it when someone's tire edges over the line let alone damn near pinning me to the curb! Glad to hear you and the Missus are OK!
It shows you that you always have to be ready for stupid ****, and I was prepared to jump the curb if need be...

I always ride for me, my safety, and will do what needs to be done to be safe...
My head's always rollin, and I'm watching for the stupids...

Damn, glad you are alright.
Same, if I was driving my truck, I'd prob have a new emblem on my hood right now...

Proves bikes aren't dangerous, the people driving with no clue are...

·
Registered
960 Posts
My dad turns 84 this year. Very good driver, no tickets or accidents.

But... when I visited them for the first time in 3 years and we drove on the highway I realized that something is slipping. He was wandering from center line to right line slowly but surely. Not his eyes. He had cataracts removed and us 20/20 eyesight again. Only needs glasses for reading.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Well that'll wake you up. Good moving over and inner self saved ya. Listen often to it because it's usually right. Another reason I need a transporter....beam them home and make them start over again. Lol.
I think the transporter option is after-market, even on a Vision (spaceship).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't know if she was just mystified or what, but seriously, me right there at her window didn't phase her, she continued turning into the lane, it was a 25mph curve I could typically do 70 on, but thankfully I listen to my lil inner voice that was saying g "don't do it".... So I was doing 30..... Saw her nose coming in my lane and I started moving to the right, till I passed her..
now, this wasn't as extremely close as yours, but I had a sheriff that went over line while I was going through a curve.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Must be a southern thing.. I was crossing the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel on 64, 2 lanes each direction.. Old lady in a car older than me in the right lane looks right at me.. and slowly starts coming over.. I figured she was avoiding a road hazard so I start getting over.. next thing I know my left peg is all but dragging the barrier and my handlebar is getting ready to start sparking and she's still coming over.. I panicked and got pissed at the same time.. so I hauled up my right boot and mule kicked the SH1T outta her front left quarter panel. She jerked her car back over and had the nerve to look at me like I did something wrong... I'm pretty sure her right tires were all the way in MY lane over the center line before I did that.. crazy old bat.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now, this wasn't as extremely close as yours, but I had a sheriff that went over line while I was going through a curve.
Yup, love them, earlier this year, I had a town cop run a stop sign nearly hitting me, I swerved into oncoming lane stared him down, and he parked... Of course now, it's like why didn't I let him hit me.!!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Must be a Nor-Cal thing. In Sacramento, had a guy this weekend switch two lanes on the freeway in to my lane.....I was directly to his left...not behind him or in a blind spot or anything. Worst part was when he switched the first lane there was no one in front of him so he had no reason to switch lanes again. I honked and rev'ed the engine. He still had no idea what he did.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I don't know what's worse, inattentive elderly drivers or inexperience young drivers. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse since there will be more elderly drivers on the road more then ever, as more Baby Boomers retires everyday. Just stay away from cagers if you can.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.