VOG Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after buying new rubber for my Kp, I was told by my local dealer they will no longer mount rubber bought not bought at their store. Now that puts allot of people in a pickle ... bike tires are pricey enuf: the rear Commander 2 I ordered was $472. (without tax) and then they want another $75 for balance and mounting. Buying it online was $278. shipped ...so I found a guy who mounts and balances all modles (even HD) for $35 cash (quite a saving)... Steelerships have been gouging us way too long for the necessities of enjoying our bikes so here is a way to make it a little more affordable :)

Freedom Motorcycle Tires

or PM me for his digits if the link is no good

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
So after buying new rubber for my Kp, I was told by my local dealer they will no longer mount rubber bought not bought at their store. Now that puts allot of people in a pickle ... bike tires are pricey enuf: the rear Commander 2 I ordered was $472. (without tax) and then they want another $75 for balance and mounting. Buying it online was $278. shipped ...so I found a guy who mounts and balances all modles (even HD) for $35 cash (quite a saving)... Steelerships have been gouging us way too long for the necessities of enjoying our bikes so here is a way to make it a little more affordable :)

Freedom Motorcycle Tires

or PM me for his digits if the link is no good
I buy my tires from fortnine.ca and mount them myself.
Just put a set of Stones on and it was a real work out. I think I am getting old.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...ya I have no desire to wrestle rubber on - and installation is a cash grab; the HD dealer in my area charges $120 pr wheel (unbelievable) - for $35 I think it's a bargain.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
It is nice to have someone like this in your area to do tires. It was interesting to read the "why I do this" on his website.
If you live close to a fairly large city take a look on Craigslist under services for someone that does this side work.

I do my tires myself but when people ask I send them to a local guy that does it for $15 a wheel.

Seems like you Canadian guys always get the short end of the stick on parts and service.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I put stainless balance beads in my tires too, so after mounting and inflating the tire , deflate & brake the bead on 1 spot only, cuck them in a funnel with a hose connected to it,

Check the clean bead, and inflate the tire again .... Done ....

I only bought ONCE the dyna beads and it was a tedious job .... So i changed to big offroad stainless beads, works perfect for my 2 vics ....

·
Registered
228 Posts
It is nice to have someone like this in your area to do tires. It was interesting to read the "why I do this" on his website.
If you live close to a fairly large city take a look on Craigslist under services for someone that does this side work.

I do my tires myself but when people ask I send them to a local guy that does it for $15 a wheel.

Seems like you Canadian guys always get the short end of the stick on parts and service.

We do not have Craigslist up here and you have no idea of the shipping charges from the US to Canada. A lot of eBay vendors will not ship to Canada and those that do, charge ridiculous fees~!!

For example, one guy on eBay selling the HF tire changer was wanting $90 to ship to Canada, yet free shipping in the lower 48.
Thank goodness I live close to the border and have a US shipping address.

BTW, ... the $35 fee to change tires is very reasonable for up here.

Dusty

·
Registered
3 Posts
bought my tire online, local shop charged me $108 to install, they offer a discount if you buy the tire through them but it was still way cheaper to buy tire from fortnine and have them install. IMO shops that wont install other tires are shooting themselves in the foot and I would never grace their doors with my hard earned cash. I try hard to support my local shops but sometimes you gotta go online

·
Registered
228 Posts
@Dusty Boots ...try fortnine.ca lotsa goot stuff there and free shipping :)
I have bought items from Fortnine. For MC tires, I get them from Pete's Superbike as they work out comparable to the cheapest on-line stores from the US, once you take exchange rate/time/gas into account.
I scored a good buy from a seller on eBay, where fortnine wanted $240.29 (plus 13% taxes) for the same thing I got for $100 US with free shipping to my nearby US shipping address.
You have to shop carefully and know your prices

Reactions: jedi-mcfly
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.