VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just completed a 26 day, 10,568 miles trip to Alaska, we went to the Artic Circle, Chicken , rode the Top of the World Highway and came back down BC route 37 to Hyder Alaska, back in the US we rode through the Columbia River Gorge and Hell's Canyon. My CCT turn just over 96,000 miles at trip end, I have now ridden her to and in 49 states, Hawaii being the only place she hasn't been. With me on the trip was two friends, one on a Indian Chieftain and the other on a BMW GS 1200. While my CCT is a great road bike, it is not a good dirt bike, the Dalton Highway to the Artic Circle and the Top of the World highway are mostly gravel and dirt. We rode up the Alcan, which isn't to bad until you get into the Yukon Territory and then the road has lots of broken pavement and gravel patch repairs, that are deep gravel/rock. On the way up I was two up and load, my wife rode with me all the way to Fairbanks, and she flew home from there as I didn't want to try to go to the Artic Circle and the Top of the World two up, they both were trying enough on this big bike as it was. I ran Dunlop Elite 4's, both new starting from Arizona, I changed the front tire in Fairbanks and the rear in Seattle on the way home, had a oil change in Fairbanks also, other than tires, not a problem one with my bike. This was a major bucket list check off for this 65 year old guy.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
very nice trip. a new entry on my bucket list

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I will heading that direction myself come 2020. :devil3:

I have already ridden my bikes thru the lower 48. Started out with a '13 CC (wrecked w/ 65K miles) '15 CC(wrecked but salvageable w/ 68k), and finished out on my new to me '14 CCT. My Dad finished the 48 with the same bike he started out on.

Congrats @RLV and thanks for the added inspiration to get my a$$ up to Alaska. Did you have to bring or us any extra fuel? I know @Rollin has mentioned some gas stations being over 190 miles (maybe more) away from each other.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will heading that direction myself come 2020. :devil3:

I have already ridden my bikes thru the lower 48. Started out with a '13 CC (wrecked w/ 65K miles) '15 CC(wrecked but salvageable w/ 68k), and finished out on my new to me '14 CCT. My Dad finished the 48 with the same bike he started out on.

Congrats @RLV and thanks for the added inspiration to get my a$$ up to Alaska. Did you have to bring or us any extra fuel? I know @Rollin has mentioned some gas stations being over 190 miles (maybe more) away from each other.
I would suggest getting the Milepost, it is updated each year, but we had NO problems with gas, sometimes you will be pumping regular only, and some pumps are pumps on the side of big tanks, you pump and then take a picture of the amount and take it into the store and show the attendant and pay for the gas, but if your bike can make at least 175 miles on a tank you will have no issues with fuel, just take advantage of keep the tank topped off when you have the opportunity.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I just completed a 26 day, 10,568 miles trip to Alaska, we went to the Artic Circle, Chicken , rode the Top of the World Highway and came back down BC route 37 to Hyder Alaska, back in the US we rode through the Columbia River Gorge and Hell's Canyon. My CCT turn just over 96,000 miles at trip end, I have now ridden her to and in 49 states, Hawaii being the only place she hasn't been. With me on the trip was two friends, one on a Indian Chieftain and the other on a BMW GS 1200. While my CCT is a great road bike, it is not a good dirt bike, the Dalton Highway to the Artic Circle and the Top of the World highway are mostly gravel and dirt. We rode up the Alcan, which isn't to bad until you get into the Yukon Territory and then the road has lots of broken pavement and gravel patch repairs, that are deep gravel/rock. On the way up I was two up and load, my wife rode with me all the way to Fairbanks, and she flew home from there as I didn't want to try to go to the Artic Circle and the Top of the World two up, they both were trying enough on this big bike as it was. I ran Dunlop Elite 4's, both new starting from Arizona, I changed the front tire in Fairbanks and the rear in Seattle on the way home, had a oil change in Fairbanks also, other than tires, not a problem one with my bike. This was a major bucket list check off for this 65 year old guy.
well done young man, well done!!!!!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
We had to stop for Bison who were walking down the road several times, then just pass them slowly and they paid no attention to us.
did ya hear about the idiot in Yellowstone just last week that was charging towards a bison, and acting like he was half crazy towards them!??

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.