VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to an airport that will allow me to fill up. The fuel is ethanol free 100 octane leaded. Is there an issue with using leaded gas in a 106 engine? besides being ethanol free is there any benefit to use the 100 octane? Will my tune be off using this? My bike was tuned using 93 octane 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
In the past I've heard that lead (in cars) will clog cats.
I would think the same is true for bikes.
If you have them removed then you should be able to run it.
The question is would you need it.
Run the least expensive high quality gas that will work for your setup. Anything more is just a waste of money.

·
Registered
17,909 Posts
Octane is a tool to deal with higher compression and unwanted pre-detonation from said compression. Mainly perfected in WWII for high compression aircraft engine using turbos and super-chargers.

Fast-forward to today and 20% of aircraft have an 8.7 to 1 compression which is low for an automobile app. But requires at least a true 100 octane requiring lead to accomplise. Now there is a push due to 8 years of EPA running amuck to eliminate this undetectable use of less than 1% of fuel burned as a hazard to mankind.

In short, won't be around much longer as manufacturers are on the edge of 100 octane Avgas with no lead. First attempt was to make aircraft owners go to 8.5 to 1 and burn 91-96 octane Mogas, but another Feral Agency (FAA) stated that will require changes to performance numbers and complicate to whole ball of wax from under horsepower engines.

I digress, @Half_Crazy is on point about gaining anything. To make my point, Jet Fuel is really clean kerosene and has more latent energy than gas. That is why it weights in at 6.9 lbs per gallon v 6.0 lbs per gallon of gasoline. It will detonate without spark under pressure like a diesel and why Diesel engines sound like pre-detonation. Because it is how they work with no spark plugs...

·
Registered
17,909 Posts
In addition, it costs much more being a boutique fuel from $4.60 - $8.00 a gallon... Aircraft engines haven't changed much since 1930, whereas engines like @MRMAXX has computers, higher revs and such, versus magnetos.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
High octane fuel burns slower (higher flash point). Pump fuel is FINE for your motorcycle. There is zero benefit to 100 octane.

Why people are so f**king scared of 10% ethanol in their gasoline, I cannot understand. I have never had a single issue with any engine... motorcycle, car, truck, tractor, mower, weed eater, generator... because of ethanol in the gasoline.

My bike is 11.2:1 compression. It runs just fine on 92 or 93 octane gasoline, with or without ethanol.

Aviation fuel is not highway taxed. You could get in trouble for using it in a street vehicle and the airport could get in trouble for allowing you to put it in a street vehicle.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Why people are so f**king scared of 10% ethanol in their gasoline, I cannot understand. I have never had a single issue with any engine... motorcycle, car, truck, tractor, mower, weed eater... because of ethanol in the gasoline.
The issues with ethanol is the fuel will hygroscope; i.e. attach to water molecules. In carbureted engines, the aluminum carburetor components will corrode if the gas has become saturated chemically with water. That corrosion, in the form of white colored crud, can find its way into small orifices, causing issues with the runability of the engine. If fresh ethanol is used and the engine run frequently, then there is usually no problem; allowing untreated ethanol to sit over a long period of time (winter storage) can present a problem.

Aside from that, the ethanol has a tendency to "dry" real rubber parts. Viton and PCVC parts are not adversely affected, but Nitrile and Buna N can harden and crack due to contact with water saturated ethanol. Garage queens are most likely to suffer from the use of ethanol.

Reactions: jwfuchs1

·
Registered
375 Posts
In Germany we have e10 super petrol with 96 octane and 10% ethanol. Super Plus with 98 octane 0% ethanol and super with 102 octane.
I had already tested everything and found no difference. Except in the wallet. Today E10 costs 1,24€/Liter, Super 1,26€/Liter and
102 Octane 1,46 €/litre.
My tuner has also tested E10 and 102 Octan and found no difference on the test bench.

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
...so while there is a discussion on fuel are premium fuels like V-Power from shell with additional ingredients to lubricate fuel pumps and increase efficiency just an up selling feature or are they beneficial for hi perf motors?

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
In Germany we have e10 super petrol with 96 octane and 10% ethanol. Super Plus with 98 octane 0% ethanol and super with 102 octane.
I had already tested everything and found no difference. Except in the wallet. Today E10 costs 1,24€/Liter, Super 1,26€/Liter and
102 Octane 1,46 €/litre.
My tuner has also tested E10 and 102 Octan and found no difference on the test bench.
They test octane with a different method where you are... the numbers do not align with octane ratings in the US. Your 98 octane would be the same as our 93 octane.

American vs European fuels - Octane rating - eTuners

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
High octane fuel burns slower (higher flash point). Pump fuel is FINE for your motorcycle. There is zero benefit to 100 octane.

Why people are so f**king scared of 10% ethanol in their gasoline, I cannot understand. I have never had a single issue with any engine... motorcycle, car, truck, tractor, mower, weed eater, generator... because of ethanol in the gasoline.

My bike is 11.2:1 compression. It runs just fine on 92 or 93 octane gasoline, with or without ethanol.

Aviation fuel is not highway taxed. You could get in trouble for using it in a street vehicle and the airport could get in trouble for allowing you to put it in a street vehicle.
The mechanic that does the major mechanical work on my bike and owns a Harley, has been building HD race engine or street engines for 18 years. One day to test a theory out, he filled the gas tank on his HD soft tail with Aviation gas but didn't tell his HD friend who had the same HD that he had in his soft tail . When they hit second gear the street race was on. The mechanic that had the aviation gas gained a bike length at each up shift. He doesn't run aviation gas but every so often to help clean out his engine he told me.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
The issues with ethanol is the fuel will hygroscope; i.e. attach to water molecules. In carbureted engines, the aluminum carburetor components will corrode if the gas has become saturated chemically with water. That corrosion, in the form of white colored crud, can find its way into small orifices, causing issues with the runability of the engine. If fresh ethanol is used and the engine run frequently, then there is usually no problem; allowing untreated ethanol to sit over a long period of time (winter storage) can present a problem.

Aside from that, the ethanol has a tendency to "dry" real rubber parts. Viton and PCVC parts are not adversely affected, but Nitrile and Buna N can harden and crack due to contact with water saturated ethanol. Garage queens are most likely to suffer from the use of ethanol.
I leave fuel (87 octane 10% ethanol) in my mowers and tractor all winter. Everything starts 1st pull or immediately with the starter in the spring. Never treated anything... never drained fuel... never an issue.

It's only 10%... Sure, if you let the stuff sit for a 18 months it might become an issue. 2-1/2 to 3 months has never caused any issues in any of my equipment. I had a full 13 gallon gas caddy for the generator and never needed the generator. I let that fuel sit in that gas caddy for over a year, untreated, then I burned it in my mowers. All ran like a champ.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
The mechanic that does the major mechanical work on my bike and owns a Harley, has been building HD race engine or street engines for 18 years. One day to test a theory out, he filled the gas tank on his HD soft tail with Aviation gas but didn't tell his HD friend who had the same HD that he had in his soft tail . When they hit second gear the street race was on. The mechanic that had the aviation gas gained a bike length at each up shift. He doesn't run aviation gas but every so often to clean to clean out his engine he told me.
A guy told me he put jet fuel in his motorcycle and it would pull a 3rd gear wheelie. Of course, he was full of sh!t, since jet fuel is pretty much K1 kerosene.

If a modern Harley makes more power with more octane, it's because of the knock sensor. If he's been building Harley engines for 18 years, he should know that. Are you talking about Bernie?

·
Registered
17,909 Posts
Why? Has ethanol fuel caused issues with your bike?
I too dislike Ethanol fuels and they have damaged hoses and carbs on lawn service engines and there is no reason to even have it. It requires more energy to produce than is gained. It is less efficient than straight gas and needs to be burnt within months of purchase and suspends water.

Will it work, sure but isn't methanol and gains nothing. If I plan on not riding for some time I will use 89 octane Marine Fuel. One may ask why do they even make non-ethanol Marine Fuel and sell it at gas stations everywhere? Read the pump and it says for boat motors, classic vehicles and motorcycles...

Apparently those making and selling vehicle fuels know something about it's shortcomings as well.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.