VOG Forum banner

Air Brush

4K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  ByteN2it 
#1 ·
Had some airbrush work done, the artist did not do what I wanted. I am considering having the entire piece painted over to gloss black again. My wife says she likes it the way it is. I don't know if I am being overly critical because it is not what I wanted.
The picture on the t-shirt is what I wanted and I showed him the t-shirt, and said he understood. I suppose I should have taken a picture of the t-shirt, but unfortunately I didn't.
Anyway should I leave the piece the way it is and hope it grows on me, or repaint? What do you guys think?
Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Hand Outerwear Wheel Jersey Tire

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Had some airbrush work done, the artist did not do what I wanted. I am considering having the entire piece painted over to gloss black again. My wife says she likes it the way it is. I don't know if I am being overly critical because it is not what I wanted.
The picture on the t-shirt is what I wanted and I showed him the t-shirt, and said he understood. I suppose I should have taken a picture of the t-shirt, but unfortunately I didn't.
Anyway should I leave the piece the way it is and hope it grows on me, or repaint? What do you guys think? View attachment 570559 View attachment 570561
looks to me he did what he could with the canvas he had. Your shirt has a bald eagle with spread wings and a flag. You got a bald eagle with spread wings and a flag.

your shirt is square...the panel is a skinny long rectangle. I think he did a great job with converting that image to fit on your panel. Let it grow on ya.

#merica

side note: the only other thing I think he could've done was have the whole panel background be the flag (stars on the upper left as you look at it and stripes in the middle and the right.) but I see two issues with that. 1. The flag would be backwards in rear view mirrors of cars/bikes in front of you. 2. It certainly would cost more for that type of work/look IMO compared to what you got. Idk what you paid, but it is some nifty work.

#3 ·
I don't see how he could have done it any different and incorporate what was on the shirt.
He got the Flag and the eagle but didn't get the veteran part. In his defense he didn't have a lot of room to work with.
If he tried to fit it all in it would have been real small.
That being said, the art work is good but it doesn't seem to blend together, looks like 3 different subjects.
I like the art but not the presentation. If it were me I think I would have the flags painted over and just leave the eagle.
I don't know how you could get what you want in the space available.
You could get all you want from the shirt if you had it painted on the trunk if you have one.

#5 ·
First I would echo everything @md2420 said.

That said in my first life, before computers, I was a graphic artist and did quite a bit of airbrushing (commercial art; never on a bike). What I can see from the pix you posted that's nice work. As an artist we may take (or have to take) some creative license regardless of directions. Not sure what directions you gave outside of showing your shirt.

I'm not officially in the biz anymore but I would always, ALWAYS, deliver a rough draft of what the art would look like before proceeding to the final work. If there was something to be changed that would be the time. Some folks can freehand and the results are crazy amazing but the other 98.68% of us need to sketch something out to transfer to the surface we're working on. If they didn't show you anything, and it was agreed they would, maybe you have an argument to have a redo if you seriously do not like the results.

Regardless if it really bothers you, it's your bike, change it. Not that I think the person did a bad job on (I do not) but to go back to the same artist would be a mistake. If in your opinion they didn't get it right the first time there is no way they will get it right the second time. You probably just didn't like their work.

Just my opinion. Again as md2420 said live with it for a season and see how ya feel. Good luck!

Reactions: ForestGiant
#6 ·
I like what he did. To get the same eagle that's on your shirt it would have been really small and not looked great, IMHO. I like the that eagle you got.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. As topcat said "the art work is good but it doesn't seem to blend together, looks like 3 different subjects." that was my first thought. I guess I will live with it thru Spring, and make a decision then. See what the reaction is with the guys I ride with. Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

#9 ·
I hafta agree with complexity of ur design on that canvas being very hard to mimic, he did a great job giving you the images u requested on what they had to work with. BUT if ur not happy ur not happy, I do think it’ll grow on you & receive lots of compliments.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog
#10 ·
Black out the windshield and use it to incorporate the design you picked. It’s really the only way unless you make that design as small as possible. Your other choices are to put that design on the side of the saddle bags. Then do the rest of the bike with a flowing kind of theme up to the front fairing.
Take it all the way brother !!

Attachments

#12 ·
Just commenting on the work itself I think the body is too high. The tail feathers and body should've been lower to the curve of the cover, closer to headlight.
That would've given the space to flair the wings higher and a more proportional head roundness.
Although adding a fish dangling from talons would be interesting...:angel:

#13 ·
About as patriotic as you can get. Just keep it. It'll grow on you and you'll be glad you didn't cover it up.

#14 ·
Anyway should I leave the piece the way it is and hope it grows on me, or repaint? What do you guys think? View attachment 570559 View attachment 570561
Sorry about that. It seems the artist was a tracer and not a true artist. Mine was air brushed as well and I only showed him the second photo with the concept.

#16 ·
I too, t think he/she did a really good job with the realestate avaialble. A true artist will render his/her impression of what you desire, not necessarily what you think you want. Just sayin. It's a nice looking job to me. There is no way to blend the flags in with the eagle in that space without it looking really messy in my opinion.
Cheers
John.

#17 ·
I see your dilemma. There are some things I understand about the piece but there are other aspects. I wanted something similar for a tattoo on my bicep. Artist understood what I wanted. He said it would never go on my arm but my back for a piece like that. He drew some sketches submitted them to me. I chose which one I liked and we ran with it. Looks great to this day.I think your artist should have submitted a sketch to you for approval.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
#18 ·
I too had a lesson learned. Even after a face to face meeting and providing detailed photos of what I wanted and going over my wants ahead of time the painter totally buggered up a very simple job. The second attempt was only partially complete and a third meeting was equally as painful. The tank was even worse. And this guy knew he messed up because he demanded a cash payment before I'd get the parts back. The guy was a good painter technically but for some reason thought his artistic ability was more important than my wishes. I hired a painter, not a f'n self important artist. I've put it down to 50% my fault being inexperienced with that type of job. Should I get any graphical vehicle painting done elsewhere I'll be getting a detailed layout before I give the go-ahead. Even if I have to pay a bit additional for the time he needs to draw it out it will be worth it to avoid a similar screwup.

#19 ·
Only Leonardo Da Vinci” himself could have “artistic license” on my $hit, that sucks when some1 else thinks they know what u want more than U do. If they aren’t able to give ya what u want than man up & just say I am not able to do this ur way but here’s what I can do, how would you like to proceed. Is kinda why I’m leaning to vinyl graphics even though it has the same challenges but is easier to remove. Go Bucks:bandit::beer8::box1:beat Clemson

#20 ·
I say Roll with it for a while. If it doesn’t grow on you after a couple of months then scrap it. I had a Roadglide for 4 yrs the look never grew on me. I should have dumped it way sooner. People would say good lookin bike I’d be like thanks it’s alright. If it don’t work it don’t work

#21 ·
I say Roll with it for a while. If it doesn't grow on you after a couple of months then scrap it. I had a Roadglide for 4 yrs the look never grew on me. I should have dumped it way sooner. People would say good lookin bike I'd be like thanks it's alright. If it don't work it don't work
I know that feeling. I remember spending tons on a VTX 1300. Even went as far as removing the dreaded tank seam !!! It was the nicest 1300c anywhere. The Honda shop manager wanted it then another buddy wanted it then my son !
So for his 30th birthday I have it to my son. It's still in the family and unfortunately he hasn't kept up with it.
Needs a re fresh. Thing is the bike never grew on me. How you know is when you keep spending
money to get to a certain platform and then realize you shoulda quit and just bought that Vegas or Jack pot when you had the chance. Now the bike needs at least $500 to 1k in freshen up. Removing chrome for Powdercoat would be my next move. A black out theme. Might make a great father / Son project. I'll say this ...... for a carburetor bike ........ it runs perfect.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
#23 ·
Man .... today seems the RG is the chosen one. More RG than SG in my little group. They did change it up a little and improved the looks (fairing) Buck horn bars are nice too. CVO RG also looks great. I hear you though. Buddy traded in a Big fender chieftain done in Indian red. Said he loved the bike but every time he walked out into the garage or back out to a lot where it was parked it didn't grab him. I understood as I thought that classic big fender look was not meant to be on a fairing bike. The original cruiser style chief looks badass to me. Here's a good example.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant
Yes he did thin out the fender a little ? This bike I would never tire of looking at !

#24 · (Edited)
@slickvic Sweet lookin ride ! I was not one for the big old style front fender myself. But personal preference is what gives us different stylings. I like them on old Indians because they belong in that era again JMO. I would have bought one even if they wouldn't have come out with the limited. But first thing to go would have been the front fender. My problem will be next go around just not a fan of the HD sheet metal. But a guy on another forum just turned 365,000 on his 2014 chieftain. Motor has never been opened up. Impressive $hit there just a bone stock 111" lol we will see this mite be my last one and I'm good with that ! Unless they put the new 108" in something I like then who knows.

#26 ·
Hard to believe but documented by a Minnesota dealer. And was in Indians monthly magazine. View attachment 570871
That dude is motoring for sure. He must ride everyday. I have a friend who put 100k on his Cross Country in just a few years. He rides everyday. Unfortunately now he's laid up waiting for back surgery. He was a Bull rider in his younger days ....hard to believe he survived it. He's paying for it today. I sure hope he can ride again. Excellent human being and probably the nicest person I've ever met. Here's to Cowboys recovery :beer3:

#27 ·
Well he averaged 55.28 mph so must spend lots of time on open roads lol, I hope to follow in his tire tracks.

#28 ·
Rollin must have close to equivalent miles considering all the riding he's done. Except not on the same bike.

#30 ·
Best year I had was 33,000 plus a few. But if you look at your miles in comparison to the time you actually ride you’d be suprised. I never ride to work and never rode during the week. Friday night thru Sunday. Parked at least 5 months for winter. 4 weeks vacation which is 2 -2 week road trips annually. Now eliminate rain days that your off. And I average aprox 15,000 a season. So I figure I ride maybe at best 80 days let’s go 90. So I average 166 miles a day for the days I ride. Lol And he lives in Minnesota worst then Chicago weather. But now I live in AZ. And even with my part time job I put 6000 plus on in 11 weeks. So look out Larry from Minnesota I’m comin ! Lol he’s actually a great guy would fit in here NP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.