VOG Forum banner

Aftermarket Tachometer

1809 2
So I have read through so many different threads on this forum and other victory forums. I have looked all over google.

I know how to to wire the aftermarket tach to the factory 3 wire plug on my 2008 Jackpot. The J & P cycles tach I bought has 4 wires, 12 volt, ground, instrument power ( for the back light) and tach signal. I have the 12 volt and instrument power hooked to the pink wire on the factory plug, tach signal hooked to the green wire, and ground to black.

I just finished installing cams and such and am getting ready to take it to my dyno tuner and I'd like to have the tach for that. However, I can turn my key on, tach does it's full range sweep, i have power and lights, but when i start the bike i have no rpm reading on the gauge. The gauge I'm using is this one...

J&P Cycles Mini Tachometer

It says if I'm going to install it on a single fire ignition system, I need an adapter to convert the tach signal. So I'm wondering if I need the adapter?

Any one have any idea if I'm doing something wrong? Did I wire it incorrectly? Do victories have single fire ignition systems?

Thank you for any help anyone can possibly give me. I appreciate it.

Phil B.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Even the manufacturer of the adapter doesn't really have any descriptions or details. Thought maybe that would give some indication. Suppose the tach is universal? Anyway, probably should call J&P if you don't get a response you are happy with. From the little research I've done, it appears these are single fire though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@PDXLaserGazer , I thought the same thing about details from the manufacturer on both. If Victory's are in fact a single fire system, it should be as simple as picking up the adapter. I could have made life alot easier with a factory tach, but they have gotten hard to find and when I did find one, they wanted $425 for a new one. Second I built a set of custom handlebars for it and the side by side mounting just wouldn't have worked. Hopefully some others will have some insight on this as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.