VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love my highball to death and wouldn't change it for anything else. Beside another similar looking Vic with a much more powerful factory engine....
I was at the 1/4 track yesterday. Of course I got crushed by a v-Rod, that was expected. He could easily run in the 11.5... and I was never able to go under 13 with my stock highball (with a pretty looking stage-one from Vic)...
But, after having done a few random street race with random Harley's and being far ahead, I was expecting to be noticeably faster than my new buddy with his Softail Slim 103' with slip on's.
After 5 runs, two of them with equal good launch and runs, I was slightly ahead but he was always there, right behind me. Granted I must weigh a good 40 pounds + more than him but still.....I was expecting more.
All that to say that it is now clearer than ever to me. Victory needs to go back to the lead in regards to powerful engine. What I want, and will pay for (reasonable price) is en engine that is in the v-Rod league, nothing less....bring me a huge V-Twin or whatever else, just gives us the power we want. In my book, Victory should be able to easily destroy v-Twin Hardleys and Japs...
But let's be honest, stock for stock, the 103' is catching us fast and many japs have been ahead for a while (big inch yamaha)....
Victory can no longer claim having the most torque, HP or class leading power and performance... Must have been true a while ago, certainly not anymore
I am still considering have some work done (cams and such). But no, I want a factory built bike that can run in the 11's...
I need it and I need it now.....

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
For about $150 you can get a Lloyds timing gear and increase the space between you and your friend's slim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my highball to death and wouldn't change it for anything else. Beside another similar looking Vic with a much more powerful factory engine....
I was at the 1/4 track yesterday. Of course I got crushed by a v-Rod, that was expected. He could easily run in the 11.5... and I was never able to go under 13 with my stock highball (with a pretty looking stage-one from Vic)...
But, after having done a few random street race with random Harley's and being far ahead, I was expecting to be noticeably faster than my new buddy with his Softail Slim 103' with slip on's.
After 5 runs, two of them with equal good launch and runs, I was slightly ahead but he was always there, right behind me. Granted I must weigh a good 40 pounds + more than him but still.....I was expecting more.
All that to say that it is now clearer than ever to me. Victory needs to go back to the lead in regards to powerful engine. What I want, and will pay for (reasonable price) is en engine that is in the v-Rod league, nothing less....bring me a huge V-Twin or whatever else, just gives us the power we want. In my book, Victory should be able to easily destroy v-Twin Hardleys and Japs...
But let's be honest, stock for stock, the 103' is catching us fast and many japs have been ahead for a while (big inch yamaha)....
Victory can no longer claim having the most torque, HP or class leading power and performance... Must have been true a while ago, certainly not anymore
I am still considering have some work done (cams and such). But no, I want a factory built bike that can run in the 11's...
I need it and I need it now.....
I agree with you!! Victory talks about how It wants to be known as the Performance Brand and I think I'ts coming soon. I look for a new bike like the Scout but with more HP and a bigger engine say 112" for the other models. I think 2017 or 2018.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
For what you will lose trading for another bike ?...... Get a timing gear , cams, and a PCV Dyno tune. If you love your HighBAll then make it the way you want it. 2k to 3k with performance exhaust should put you to where the Vrod may be looking over their shoulder.
Sounds like you got bit by the race track bug. Feed your Vic ! Feed it !

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I'm down for a more powerful stock bike. Do they need to scrap the 106" though? car companies are always squeezing more performance out of the same engine.

Look at the mustang 5.0. My former '12 claimed 412 hp at the crank stock. '15s and newer are claiming 435 hp stock. Same displacement, I think different valves, heads, etc.

Respectively, couldn't Vic swap out or change some internals to maximize stock performance? I don't think the 106 potential in stock form has been reached. I could be wrong.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts
I'm happy with what i have but.........if HP & Torque are important, and in a twin ? Look at Ducati ,Aprilia, & KTM .
Or, the OP could save a bundle and just 116" his Highball. That should set him up to outrun all his HD riding buddies.

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts
I'm down for a more powerful stock bike. Do they need to scrap the 106" though? car companies are always squeezing more performance out of the same engine.

Look at the mustang 5.0. My former '12 claimed 419 hp at the crank stock. '15s and newer are claiming 435 hp stock. Same displacement, I think different valves, heads, etc.

Respectively, couldn't Vic swap out or change some internals to maximize stock performance? I don't think the 106 potential in stock form has been reached. I could be wrong.
Still, in factory form, we are back to the reality of a 2 cylinder air pump with EPA restrictions.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Get a Gixxer. We will sure miss you.
Do you mean a High Ball is not made to be a drag bike? I thought all drag bikes had apes so you are in the perfect drag racing position.

If I was going to make a Vic drag bike I think I would start with a Judge or maybe even a better pick would be a Hammer.

• Angry
Reactions: rcupp

·
Registered
445 Posts
Look at the mustang 5.0. My former '12 claimed 419 hp at the crank stock. '15s and newer are claiming 435 hp stock. Same displacement, I think different valves, heads, etc.
Go back further than that, in the 80's and 90's before the modular 4.6, Ford was getting, as I recall, 225hp out of the 5.0 pony car motor, and that was considered powerful! It is AMAZING what manufacturers are getting out of engines these days, 100hp per liter is nothing. The Stingray and such are around that mark, but the smaller motors, Subaru for example, are even higher. Well over 300hp from 2.5L reliably, from the factory. Crazy!

• Haha
Reactions: ttwntec

·
Registered
876 Posts
But I want to keep a custom vintage inspired look ala Harley and Vic and such, not interested in sport looking bike even though we all know the real power is in those bikes...
I can understand that..

If I were younger & really felt like an involved project ? I would look into buying a bagger frame, and fit a Rotax [KTM} engine to it. Then continue to build the cruiser/bagger from there. I think it could be done, and be a nice looking package when done.

The end product would be a bike with tons of power, make it as 'pretty' as ya want, and yet you can throw a leg over & ride coast to coast with peace of mind [from a dependability] point of view.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
But I want to keep a custom vintage inspired look ala Harley and Vic and such, not interested in sport looking bike even though we all know the real power is in those bikes...
Lose the weight. 40lbs. Is 40lbs.
It's not Victory's fault you weigh more than your buddies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Keep your High-Ball for cruising and get yourself another bike made for speed, then put a 250 sticker on it. Nothing annoys a Harley rider more than getting smashed by a 250R. I even have a tricycle bell (shown in the second picture). At stop lights when they laugh at my 250, I just ring my bell and smile. If they take off like they are on a race bike to show me how fast their Harley is, that is when I leave them in the dust.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.