VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gang---I started riding about 40 yrs ago went through a series of crashes during my formative years until I got that out of my system...since those early years I have added 250,000 miles with out incident.About 15 yrs ago my American wife living with me in french Canada (quebec) decided to learn to ride, so we (she) enrolled in a motorcycle course that was only given in french and she only spoke english so I also took the course as her translator.I had been riding for years and I knew it all ---WRONG--- I was surprised at how much I didn't know and needless to say I learned a great deal as her translator about turning --stopping--handling.Since I bought my Vision 8 ball this summer I have surfed around trying to better my riding as well as that I have spent considerable time in parking lots to improve my skills I also weekly do panic stops so I've done all that I can to improve my skills and hopefully my life expectantcy.

Here's the question how many if any of you guys and gals have taken the next step by that I mean the advanced riders courses available around America. Police officers take them for bikes as well as any serious biker who wants to learn more about handling motorcycles and training your reflexes .

If you have taken the course can you share something with me that might help me to gain a skill or insight ? I plan on signing up next year if I can find a local course. I thank you in advance

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
i've contemplated taking a course that is available 1 or 2 weeks a year in my area. It's a few hundred bucks but this one is more for running corners faster and sport riding.

Now that I've proven I can drag the boards on the Cross country i need to learn how to lean myself into corners and not the bike to get through them quicker

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had the Advanced Rider course twice now and thinking of taking it again next year. It is great for brushing up on your skills and also for reminding you of many things you may have forgotten over the years. Helps to show you some of the bad habits that you may have picked up over the years also. Its been about 8-9 years since I have taken the course, hope that I have not picked up too many bad habits since then. I would like to see everyone take this course at least once, just to see what they are missing.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I took the course 3 yrs ago through Humber College in Toronto. It greatly increased my riding skills, even though I have been riding for 30+ yrs. (no such thing a a motorcycle course back then)

My only complaint, is that with this new confidence I push my bikes harder that what I should on the street. My reasoning is that in order to maintain a skill you must practice it regularly.

One of these days I'll be over my head, then it will be **** luck that pulls me through.

Definitely take the course. You may even get a discount on your insurance

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have taken the advanced riding course and will take it again. I am an instructor and I teach lot's of the beginners courses. It is good to practice the skills so that when you need them they will happen automatically. It's always fun to teach seasoned riders because eventually they figure out that they have developed some bad habits!

·
Registered
12,150 Posts

I took the basic course twice and the advanced course once. I will say there are good instructors and instructors that are not so good.
Point being, check around with other locals by you and see what they thought of the course. When I took my first basic course I had already logged atleast 100,000 miles and I couldn't believe what I learn. I really thought I knew everything then. Then I stopped riding for a bit (went into the Navy) and moved back to Florida did it again and again I learned some new stuff. But honestly the advanced course was horrible. I later Googled the company that gave it and they had several complaints.
So, like I said just check around because the course is only as good as the instructor...

·
Registered
130 Posts

I began riding 3 years ago and took the beginner course byt HD called Riers' Edge. The course put on by local colleges and the CHP is 15 hours of training but the HD course was 25 hours of training. I am glad I went with the HD course. The instructors were great and I learned a lot about the mechanics and mental strategies of riding. I beleive it has helped me in becoming a proficient rider. 3 months ago I took the experienced rider course. The nice thing about this course compared to the beginner course is you use your own bike. This was significant because on the beginner course we had small bikes (Buell Blasts) and now I could take my Vision. It was a kick making it through the figure 8 box without dropping the bike. There are more advanced courses also in the US which I want to take down the road. I say that taking these corses has been a big plus for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts

In the military we are required to take the MSF beginners course and a 6 month time with a "mentor" then take the experienced course. The only difference with the experienced course was at one point they had us ride the obsticles with one hand. The course is also on base and has all the markings, so i can go any time and ride around on it. I'm sure there are higher degrees of experienced courses, but i'm not going to pay for them. Since the military makes it mandatory for motorcyclists, the military pays for the courses.
I would stick with practicing the quick reaction maneuver and doing the eights in a 24 foot wide / 2 parking spaces area. The quick reaction manruver is pretending there is a stopped car directly infront of you and quickly yanking your handlebars left then right or visaversa. I was amazed the agility of any bike because of the gyro effect of the spinning wheels. It helps me know what I can do without worring about the consequences.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've taken the MSF advanced course a couple of times now. For me, it's absolutely worth taking when changing bikes--just to go through all the exercises to learn how the new one behaves.

Never taken the police course or anything beyond the MSF advanced course, but for under $100 and a single day (not to mention a break in your insurance premium), can you really go wrong?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

I noticed myself getting into some lazy/bad habits on slow speed manuevering last spring and started to think about the last time I actually hit the parking lot to practice....it had been about a year. An hour in the parking lot got my head straight again.
U-turns
Figure 8's
Cone slalom
Emergency braking
Accident avoidance
Those 5 are the most important to practice.Within 2 runs I realized how lazy I was getting. When you get lazy with the fundementals it is amazing how easily you can lose your confidence.....and also the understanding of exactly what the bike CAN do.
Anybody can scrape their pegs going through a turn at speed, but can you turn your bike around in 18-20 ft.without putting your feet down? If your answer is that you could do it on a 650cc bike but not a Vision or XC, then you needto practice because those bikes can do it in less than 17' if they have to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.