Adding USB Port | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Adding USB Port

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Roads' started by Crazyhouse100, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Crazyhouse100

Crazyhouse100 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Triumph
    Hi there. New to this forum. I picked up a 2013 Cross Roads Classic with 3,900 miles about a month ago. ( Previous ride was a 2001 Triumph Thunderbird)
    Has anyone added a USB port? Looks like there is a switch blank right next to the riding light switch that could be a good location.

2. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    On my Vegas, I use the battery tender USB adapter and run the cable for my phone up to the phone mount.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Many USB chargers draw power whether there’s anything connected to the USB charger or not. A USB receptacle is fine being wired directly to the battery. But don’t leave a USB charger plugged into it all the time. Consider connecting the USB receptacle to a switched power source to reduce the chances of draining your bike’s battery.

I left a USB charger plugged into the 12 volt outlet in the trunk of my CCT once with the result being a dead battery after a few days.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Me too, but in the cubby. Is fantastic having 3 ports & using doubles can charge 6 things at once but will kill the battery quick if left plugged in for day or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JudgeRedd

JudgeRedd Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Judge (RIP)
    A USB wired direct to the battery is NOT ok without a switch. It will draw power with nothing plugged into it. Needs a switch if you wire it direct. Here's mine. The cover is the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Brand-New-Cl...913&sr=8-68&keywords=motorcycle charging port

Other tips-

Charging is more about the amps, less about the volts. Android phones seem to require a lot more power to charge reasonably. I say this based on previous experience with newer software versions and/ or phones tossing up a message about " I do not like this power source- slow charging" Slow charging is like not charging at all.

Not sure about Iphones, but my wife's never threw any errors when plugged into the same socket.

Get a 3 or 4 amp minimum.

Careful- some brands have 2 sockets with 2 different amp ratings. like a 4 and a 2.1. I had a older unit prior to this one. The 2.1 just became useless one day. My S6 at the time just decided one day that it did not like it anymore. Replaced the unit with this stronger 4 amp- no sweat. Now I'm using an S9+ with no issues as well. Like I said- I phones might not care...

Obviously you could tap into a wire that is only hot with key in the run position in or around the headlight bucket. I hear that is easier with the bullet style headlights. Supposedly there's a lot more room in there. The round headlights are packed fucking stupid.. So I elected to remove my tank and run it to the battery- since I had a nice built in switch and plenty of length to work with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Crazyhouse100

Crazyhouse100 New Member

Triumph
    Thanks for your input. Any switched unused wires lurking in the headlight?

7. JudgeRedd

JudgeRedd Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Judge (RIP)
    Unused? Not sure about that. Regardless- Stick them with a test light to make sure it does what you think it does. I would THINK any of them that is thick enough to secure a tap into without permanent damage would be fine.

I would avoid smaller wires. I can tell you that when they wired my bike up- they left NO slack at all. So don't assume that you can just cut away and repair a damaged wire easily..

If the headlight bucket turns out to be packed solid- just take the time to remove the tank and direct wire it (or tap into something under the tank or seat). Adding more to a rat's nest like that just increases the chance of something shorting out later- and probably without warning.

If there's some electrical genius out there that knows I'm missing something here- have at it..

8. jmstang302

Yes there are wires in the bucket for heated grips. There may also be a switched wire under the left side of the tank, I think it should be tired to the main harness above the front valve cover.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Active Member

Cross Roads
    I got a quick charge wireless around Christmas time- it has a USB port too- and an "on/off" switch. It's wired to the battery, pretty simple and sturdy- did 200 miles of teeth shattering twistys a few weeks ago- no problem!
    I think it was $30 or so- Leepiya is the brand but there's others that'll work.

10. s-glide76

s-glide76 Member

15 Victory CCT, 15 Triumph Scrambler, 97 Electra Glide, 76 Superglide, 06 Kaw KLR 650..
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. jmstang302

I have the Battery tender USB on my Vegas as I mentioned. I have not had an issue leaving it plugged in.

I have had issue with the ones that plug into an aux plug. Crazy that the little bulb in them drain the battery down.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

2014 Crossroads 8 Ball
    Wasn't the bulb, it was the transformer. It eats your battery even without anything plugged into it.