VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why or Why not?
I've never ridden a bike equiped with ABS so I don't know if there is some value to be had there.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I haven't felt that I been in a braking situation that I needed ABS. Linked brakes have made a big difference in braking.
Many times I think ABS on M/C is one of those things where, "X brand has it I want it."

I read some of the report done on ABS brakes. But I ask if the riders that did better braking with ABS would do as well with linked brakes? Those people were older experienced riders. I prefer $1000 for gas. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont know if I would have ordered it separately, but I just bought a 2010 vision, came on it... I thought pretty cool.... I was in Dallas week before last and had an opportunity to really shut it down quick. I may have been driving a bit fast but a car pulled in front and shut it down. I'm tellin you... it worked! I could feel the brakes pulsing like on the car. I was kind of glad....

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I've never ridden a bike with ABS but think the peace of mind would be a good thing. The one time you need it could make the difference!

·
Registered
531 Posts

I have had bikes with ABS, and I prefer to have it. Like Bikendad said "The one time you need it could make a difference".
Awhile backI bought an expensive full face helmet, I was complaining about the high cost when a coworker said "It's cheap life insurance".
My life is worth a $1,000

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I've had ABS on my BMW and my V-Rod and it's absolutely the single biggest safety enhancement you can currently purchase on a motorcycle, bar none.

If it was offered on the Cross bikes I would have it at any cost.

I've been riding for over 30 years and consider myself to be a fairly accomplished rider but ABS saved my ass 4 times in the last decade in situation where a non-ABS bike would have either gone down or hit an immovable object. In fact, in one situation other bikes involved in the incident did go down while i was able to brake and avoid the collision and one of the riders who went down is, in my option, a far better rider than I am. All situations were in poor conditions such as rain, gravel, debris in the road, etc. In dry, controlled conditions, something that is rarely the case in a "panic" situation you can do tests and try to disprove the value of ABS. Those studies have little to no value in the real world IMHO.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

I dont have ABS on any of my Vics, but my B-King has it. It is a life saver in a panic situation especially with a short wheel base sport bike.
I think someone just did a study showing that ABS was a greater safety feature then training and experience. Not sure if it was the MSF, I'll dig through some emails and try to find it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I don't consider my riding skills to be anything but average and I am prepared to wait six months to get ABS. In a panic situation I will brake as hard as I can and if necessary try to turn to miss the danger. Sure hope I never need ABS.

·
Registered
382 Posts
here is a weird question.. if you have two vision owned by the same person and you Insured both of them with the same coverage, would the one with ABS have cheaper rates? Im curious.. i think abs is a good idea. i ask as last year i bought a car that cost more and had more safety features. so wheni called my insurance company to get coverage for the more expensive car. my rates didnt go up.. i asked about it, and they said because of all the safety features this car has that the last one didnt..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.