VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last days ride the ABS warning light stayed on during the second run.
First ride it went off as usual.
Second ride it stayed on. So I stopped, waited about 10 seconds and restarted and the light went off as it should.
Now up to the 4 ride and it stayed on.

I have spent about 20 minutes searching the VOG for information on what to do to remedy the problem.
Suggestions so far :
1. Check and tighten battery terminals
2. Visual check for foreign material in brake calipers
3. Check air gap for the ABS sensors which should be 1mm =/- .25mm. I am not sure where the sensors are but I think they would be somewhere near the brake pads and disc rotor.
4. It could be the ABS module failure - not sure if I would know how to diagnose or fix/replace that

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
724 Posts
On my last days ride the ABS warning light stayed on during the second run.
First ride it went off as usual.
Second ride it stayed on. So I stopped, waited about 10 seconds and restarted and the light went off as it should.
Now up to the 4 ride and it stayed on.

I have spent about 20 minutes searching the VOG for information on what to do to remedy the problem.
Suggestions so far :
1. Check and tighten battery terminals
2. Visual check for foreign material in brake calipers
3. Check air gap for the ABS sensors which should be 1mm =/- .25mm. I am not sure where the sensors are but I think they would be somewhere near the brake pads and disc rotor.
4. It could be the ABS module failure - not sure if I would know how to diagnose or fix/replace that

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Another freebie when checking air gap: clean any dirt in the teeth of the reluctor ring (looks like a sprocket) and Hall effect sensor itself (be gentle). The ABS unit compares speed readings from each wheel and if they deviate conclude that there is lock up. When the sensors are about to go bad or there is dirt that interferes with magnetic proximity reading, intermittent ABS is a possible symptom.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Check the rear sensor wire. Mine had bumped into the rear brake rotor and shorted. Electrical tape and an extra zip tie fixed it. It started intermittently, and then stayed on full time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On a long trip, my ABS light came on, occasionally. I had picked up a tiny bit of tinfoil that made it's way into the rear sensor. Couldn't see that just inspecting it with a flashlight.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Just had the exact problem with my Vision. Returned it to the dealer. The problem was a bad ABS sensor. Part and labor were covered under warranty. Good luck!
How do you know which sensor is the culprit?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had the front one fail. I didn't know which one was bad either at first. Put an ohm meter on both of them and one showed open and one had resistance. Got a new one and checked it and then determined it was the front one that was bad. Can't remember which reading was good/bad now! LOL! Both front and rear have the same part number. Actually thinking about picking one up just for a spare.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good idea, mines intermittent as well. Does ohm reading done at time of light? I guess I'll read both and compare myself. Thanks for the tip :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Good idea, mines intermittent as well. Does ohm reading done at time of light? I guess I'll read both and compare myself. Thanks for the tip :icon_thumleft:
make sure if you don't get a reading one way, reverse the leads and check again. They can only be ohm checked one way. Also, keep your fingers off the leads as it'll show the resistance through your body

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ohms onl
make sure if you don't get a reading one way, reverse the leads and check again. They can only be ohm checked one way. Also, keep your fingers off the leads as it'll show the resistance through your body
Ohms only can be read one way? I thought that was a diode rule. Unless there's a diode in the sensor?

Thanks I gotta check it out later during the week

·
Registered
284 Posts
How do you know which sensor is the culprit?
Dealer scan tool will tell them.
I've had my front ABS sensor fail and this is the pattern.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ohms onl

Ohms only can be read one way? I thought that was a diode rule. Unless there's a diode in the sensor?

Thanks I gotta check it out later during the week
there must be a diode in the sensor, because I just went through checking them a little while back. My front one was bad. The new sensor could only be checked one way too. I almost thought I had two bad sensors, so I'm glad I double checked them.

·
Registered
566 Posts
2011 Vision 29K miles - Two years ago, while under extended warranty, my abs light started to stay on intermittently, then pretty much stayed on all the time. They said the rear sensor was bad and replaced it. It worked normally until about 6 months ago when it would stay on intermittently again. I just got back from a 2100 mile trip thru the Adirondacks, and it started working normally again - turning off at about 5 mph.....I can only assume something was dirty or a loose connection...

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Have you looked at the online parts suppliers or called a local dealer? The ABS sensors on my CCT are the same as Polaris uses on the Indian. No reason to assume the Vision would be any different.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Witchdoctors may have some. When mine needed replacing about 18 months ago John at witchdoctors had them.
It took 3 trips to the then Polaris owned Melbourne dealership to replace my rear sensor.
1. to diagnose what I told them was faulty
2. to take the bike to the dealership to be told an incorrect part had been supplied and the part number needed re-creating and re-ordering
3. to finally fit the new part.

Now all the Polaris Australian dealerships have closed and Indians are being sold through independent multi brand dealerships

At least replacing a wheel speed sensor, ABS sensor looks as simple as undoing one bolt, cutting one cable tie and unplugging.
The reason I didn't order one and do it myself was I was not confident in the dealership and its analysis of the problem and being left with an expensive part if the sensor was not the problem.
Polaris OEM Speed Sensor 4011294

Parts and shipping cost at least double here in Australia

·
Registered
392 Posts
On cars/trucks, unplug sensor and using a voltmeter at connector on ac voltage, spin the wheel as fast as u can by hand, Should get a quick on/off reading everytime it passes the hall effect ring tooth, (abs ring). If not, sensor, gap, or abs ring is your problem. Dont see why this wont work on a bike also. Most likely, the sensor is at fault. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On cars/trucks, unplug sensor and using a voltmeter at connector on ac voltage, spin the wheel as fast as u can by hand, Should get a quick on/off reading everytime it passes the hall effect ring tooth, (abs ring). If not, sensor, gap, or abs ring is your problem. Dont see why this wont work on a bike also. Most likely, the sensor is at fault. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the feedback. I did check the coil resistance and it was in the Mohms range for the front sensor. I also check for AC voltage while spinning the tire...nothing. Sure points to the front sensor being bad. Just need to find one now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.