ABS too sensitive..... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

ABS too sensitive.....

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Roads' started by KansasWizard, Sep 5, 2016.

1. KansasWizard

KansasWizard New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victroy Cross Country Tour Trike
    2014 XCT with ABS issue. Noticed that the ABS kicks in with very little pressure on the front brake lever. Feel that this shouldn't happen with normal braking. Sensor issue? Sensor too close or too far from the ABS pulse ring? Dirty or just defective? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    You're contending that you can feel pulsations from the front brake handle under normal braking conditions?

If so, your front brake pads may be grabbing the disk due to improper installation or excessive wear.
    That's my best guess, and I'm sure it's wrong.

The ABS simply compares wheel travel/speed between the front and rear wheels.
    When one wheel's travel is slowed in comparison to the other wheel, the ABS kicks in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. KansasWizard

KansasWizard New Member

I'm beginning to wonder if it is because there is air in the lines. That would cause further travel in the lever which the ABS could interpret as a more severe stopping action than it actually is. The lever is rather "soft" even after an attempt to bleed the system. Make sense? Gonna re-bleed the system today and see if that helps the problem. Sure have seen a lot of posts about difficulties bleeding the brake lines. I'll try some of the tricks posted which seem to work. Wish me luck. Good thing is that we own two XCT's so I can compare the "pull" on the soft one with the one that doesn't have an issue when I get done.

4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    The only thing that I know that effects the ABS is wheel travel comparisons from the front and rear toothed sprockets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. marlake

marlake Active Member

2012 XR LE #45 "ARGUS"
    FWIW. I had issues with braking on my 2012XRLE a couple years ago. I understand how ABS is supposed to work and I always associated it with assisted braking at some degree of speed. My issue was at very low speed coming to a stop at a light or stop sign. Just before coming to a stop the brake pedal would harden indicating the ABS sensor had locked out the rear braking action. There was a false sense of acceleration because you were subconsciously bracing for a stop that doesn't happen.
    As a quick method of pinpointing the problem, I simply removed the fuses (located under the rear fender) and the problem went away. At the risk of receiving another unsolicited safety lecture, I will tell you, I have not replaced the fuses.
    While replacing the rear tire shortly thereafter, I removed the rear sensor and checked it for visible signs wear/tear. Couldn't see anything obvious so I simply cleaned it of road grime and replaced it. I never cared to test whether that fixed my problem but I bet it did.
    Give it a shot. They remove easily. There are 2 or more very thin shims involved so take care not to lose them in the removal process.
    I hope this helps. Good luck.

6. mdallen

mdallen Well-Known Member

Vision
    Brother if you're not comfortable tackling it on your own... take it to a qualified tech. These are your brakes... not something to get online forum advice for.

7. Old-Gramps

Old-Gramps Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    By your avatar your riding in a trike, so could it be that you have three brakes setup with abs instead of just two, as my 2014 XCT does not do this and never has......

Forget what I just said as you did say it was your front brake......

8. KansasWizard

KansasWizard New Member

Update: I finally got rid of the air in the lines and the problem is now fixed. I'm now convinced that the extra pull required on the lever to make the brakes engage somehow activated the ABS system prematurely. The trike now stops smoothly with no chatter from the ABS. I realize that the sensor and sensor ring are not connected to the lever but, for whatever reason, the air purge solved my problem. Thanks to all who chimed in. Sure is nice to get good, thoughtful responses from fellow riders.