VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a 2009 can be retrofit with the new ABS brakes (available on the 2010)?

I just completed the ERC class. I was disappointed to see that they do not have any drills on "how to surf joint sealant." See my other post labeled Piper Down! to see why ;-)

After rationalizing how I went down, I now think that the linked brakes caused the problem. My inexperience with the nature of the linked brakes (when the valve opens up to activate the front brake) is what I think did me in. I am now contemplating ABS as a better option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update from my dealer - "There is no ABS retrofit for the 2009 Vision at this time."

You would figure that this could technically be done, but victory tech support is not providing a kit or guidance to dealers. I am hoping that calipers would bolt on to the existing tabs, but maybe that is a wrong assumption.

I will work with my dealer (Arlen Ness) to see if they can figure out a hack for this (once they have experience with the 2010 models). Will look into how much the individual parts cost if they feel confident.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Thanks for updating the post with the Dealer info. I was hoping that someone would have some words of wisdom on this subject, but while I'm not a mechanic, it seems this would be a difficult project. Since 2010 is Victory's first year having an ABS equipped bike, it seems that before a Dealer could see if a previous model year can be retrofitted with ABS, it might be wise for them to see it on a current model first.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't forget that there is more to this than just bolting on ABS calipers and such. A computer is needed to read wheel speed and adjust (on the fly) as needed. Because of this, it would mean a retrofit of the current computer on the bike as well depending on how the computer system is built and works with this braking system.

My suggestion is a high priced one...but makes MOST sense to me. IF you are inclined to go with ABS, consider selling/trading your 09 to a 10. I KNOW, I know...but if the safety to you is worth the added expense, this would be the best and safest way to do it. IMHO!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
ElroyJetson said:
My suggestion is a high priced one...but makes MOST sense to me. IF you are inclined to go with ABS, consider selling/trading your 09 to a 10. I KNOW, I know...but if the safety to you is worth the added expense, this would be the best and safest way to do it. IMHO!
Agreed. It's an expensive proposition, but if you want ABS, it sounds like the best, albeit costly solution. Maybe if you contact your Dealer, you might be able to get a "Frequent Flyer" discount! The question will be: How much is your bike worth on a trade?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Considering that I just bought the bike 3 weeks ago and put in $4500 of upgrades (powder coating, chrome, pipes, stage 1, etc.) I don't think this is an option.

My best hope is that the computer for the ABS is a component (add-on) and that the ABS calipers can be installed on the existing mounts.

·
Registered
73 Posts

You will find that manufacturers and dealers don't play or modify brakes or steering components due to liability reasons. You can't get them to fool with seat anchors, steering systems, brakes, anything safety. Dealers wont modify either as a rule because their indemnification agreement with the manufacturer dictates that their activities in this area strictly follow warranty repairs (not modifications) and directives occasioned by service bulletins. If the dealer does a modification and at any point in the bikes future, if there is a lawsuit claiming damages, injury, loss or loss of life due to defects in design/egnineering, parts or workmanship, the dealer is on his own. If they don't fool around with this sort of stuff, the manufacturer has to defend in the dealer's behalf.
I agree with the above, if you want ABS, you're going to have to pioneer it yourself of trade for a 2010.
ABS has proven invaluable on the other products HD, BMW, etc. I see why you're asking. SP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.