VOG Forum banner

About to pull trigger on 09 JP

4K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  ZZedmonds 
#1 ·
Hey All. First post for me. I am looking to buy an 09 JP in a couple weeks. My question is for current Jackpot owners. Knowing what you know now, would you repeat your decision to buy a Jackpot?

This is my first bike and I test rode the Kingpin and Hammer S. Hammer didn't seem that 2 up friendly with the limited rear space and the Kingpin with floorboards didn't fit me well at 5'8". The JP, ergo wise, just seemed to fit me. As we are both short and fat :)

Also, I am wondering how good a deal this is on the bike. 09 pre-owned with 760 miles. Stage 1 swept pipes are done, and it has 4 years left on a 5 year warranty. $13.5k at a local Victory dealer. Color is black.

Just looking for some of that 20/20 hindsight insight.

Thanks,
Chris

#3 ·
I love the JP but like the Hammer better. They both are not really a two up bike IMO. Something to think about, fat tire bikes are not the fad they were in years past. The resale value would fall off quicker IMO, although the price seems fare with the stuff on it. Good luck!!

#6 ·
First off, welcome to the VOG. Next, the price is very reasonable as it appears that someone else is taking the vast majority of the depreciation.....until you really thrash it up, that bike should be worth at least $10K for a couple 2/3 years....so cheap entertainment!

The only reason I make that comment is that I think you are getting a GREAT bike at a great price, but if you are gonna be moving towards more 2-up riding and maybe get into longer distances, I think you may be looking at a touring bike sooner or later.

I love the Jackpot for its head turning style and wouldn't mind having one in the garage as a stable-mate some day. Best of luck to you and enjoy!

#7 ·

Welcome X-nuke!! All of the above listed posters give excellent advice & are very respected (dsjr70, bubba, sofakingblue & phoenix9). Shrek is a JP owner & can give you first hand insight.
Another posdter you might "PM" isRandyfishing. He'sowned a Jackpot for several years - and if not mistaken - has considered selling it to get a more comfortable 2 up bike. I could be wrong - but I believe that is correct.
Good luck!!! Welcome aboard!!!

#8 ·

I would have to echo what a lot of people are saying here. I have a Hammer but I believe your seat options are about the same as mine.
I have the touring seat and it's very comfortable.......for me. It's a little different when my daughter rides with me. She's your average size highschool girl so not very big at all and the seat feels crowded when she rides with me. Luckily she mainly just likes to ride with me for a little while when we cruise around town and that's great for what we need out of it.
The jackpot and the Hammer are my 2 favorite Vics (gota love that fat back tire)but they would both be my last choices if I was looking at a lot of 2up riding. I hate to say that since it does sound like a good deal on the bike.
In parting I have to say welcome to the VOG and whatever you buy make sure it's a Victory and you will be happy with your purchase.

#9 ·
Welcome to VOG! It is a good deal on the bike because of the warranty. Make sure they get it transferred properly to you before you ever accept the bike. They have a history of screwing that up at the dealerships.

Just remember as soon as you put a few thousand miles on it it will be, very quickly just another 3 year old used bike. It will drop big in value to around 10-11K overnight.

If you are both big be sure to buy a back rest for it to hold her onto the bike for safety and comfort. Any bike can be a long distance bike but for two-up riding this one is not for the faint of heart if you intend to take long trips.

I think the Jackpot is clearly the best looking bike made by Victory. IMHO they are just simply a work of art.

#11 ·
if you like it buy it. I also will say it's not the best 2 up bike but than again neither are crotch rockets and how many couples do you see riding those?

Very few people buy the fat tire bikes as distance cruisers but there are few. You'll like the bike and it is a great looking bike.

Myself I was always partial to the Kingpins but as you stated a little long for you with the floorboards.

Anyhow, the price was decent and the remainder of the 5 year warranty will make it sellable next year if you decide its not for you

#13 ·
First off, thanks to everyone who posted with their insight and experience. You guys kick ass!

My wife is 5'6" and 130lbs. Please God, don't let her read this! So her size won't be an issue, I don't think. I have no plans for any distances more than about 150 miles. Just cruising through the local canyons and poker runs with the local groups. Dealer said he would throw in a Victory touring seat with the bike. Not sure how comfy that will be, as I was looking to get a Mustang tour replacement anyways. But should give us a good idea on how feasible it will be for 2 up. Of course, those 150 miles could take like 4-6 hours.

I rode the Cross Roads, but man, it sounded horrible! Most likely due to the fact it had stock pipes and a windshield to quiet things down. Compared to the assault your senses Jackpot! Although I would be putting some brand of shield on it I am sure. All this being new to me, I will have to spend a lot of time combing the forums trying to find the right accessories the first time.

I hope to be able to lean on you guys here for advice. I have wanted a bike for 9 years, and the time has finally come. I even got the wife to take the MSF course with me. She doesn't want to ride solo, at least not yet.

I do hope this all works out to where we will want another bike in the future. I am about to hit 40 and am looking forward to enjoying something new and fun. And for the first time in our lives, my wife is the one urging me to take the deal! Must be some epic snowball fight going on in Hell right now!

Thanks again

#14 ·

I personally like my JP but to be honest if you will be doing alot of two up riding its not the bike for that. The second problem for me is I bought the bike and thought I would not ride more then 100 to150 miles a day.Well after about 150 miles the comfort level drops alot and I find my self wanting more comfort and I want to ride further so at 150 miles I stop and take a good break and keep going. I am sure people will say the can ride for ever but look at how many JP you see on E bay with low miles or cycle trader. So yes add a windshield and even floor boards for more comfort. Then you need to think about storage and you might have to add bags as well if you want to take anythig with you.
So yes I love my JP and everyone askes about it when ever I am out and about. For me its a great bike and I really like it and you are getting a great price. Its a really fun bike to ride around townas well the fat tire take no time to get use to. In a perfect world I would have a JP and a Cross country.

#15 ·
I agree with randysfishing. I also have a Jackpot and love it. The comfort for 150 mile rides you should be ok. If you are going to do two up riding I would take the dealers offer on the touring seat it will save you $500.00. Also the last time Ichecked Mustang does not make a seat for the Jackpot. I had a gel pad put in my seat and it helped a lot. I just put 375 miles on it yesterday through out the day and I was fine. I wouldalso suggest the windshield helps alot on the longer rides and when you are going 70 + on long rides. You will notice that you will start doing longer rides thelonger you have the bike. Good luck you will love the bike. They are definetly attention getters.

#16 ·
Ok crew, this is what I have gathered so far. Jackpot is a kick ass bike (as are all Victory's). But isn't the best for 2 up riding or any extended distance with the wife on the back. Fortunately I am not completely locked into the JP. The dealer has an '09 Kingpin 8 Ball which I am going to go down and see in a couple days. I rode the standard KP and found I was a bit stretched to the bars due to the higher floor boards and further back seating position. The dealer told me we could add Ness pullback bars which should compensate for the stretch I am making to the stock bars. I hope this works out since the cost of the bike is $2k less than the JP and is better for two up riding. Or so I gather.

I just read a post by Half_Crazy regarding Torque Tubes by Lloydz. Holy crap! Now he got me jonesing for that insane intake, pipes, tune, and 104 upgrade! Don't think I have been more excited than I am now (excluding the birth of my 4 kids)!

Please don't think that I am changing course so quickly based on snap judgement of comments posted saying the JP isn't the best for 2 people. I feel the comments are honest and warrant serious consideration. Hope Don doesn't get mad at me for switching over to the Pinhead camp. I really enjoyed riding the the Kingpin, except of course for the reach issue.

I plan on being a fully fledged member of the group here soon. Enjoying my ride for a little while, before the snow hits Utah. And driving the wife crazy. "Honey, can we buy food this week?" "Sorry babe, need bike parts" I can see it now...

Maybe a JP could be the second bike!

#20 ·

Hey there
I bought a JP and i have never had such enjoyment. I love the bike and have put almost 3000km on in 3 weeks without any big trips. It just makes me grin. my only hindsight is that i should have bought my JP a couple of years ago (if I could have afforded it then). I will agree with a few of the other posts above. My girlfriend loves to ride with me, and she has a 34 inseam aswell, but after about 100km she is not very comfortable. If i plan on trips with her i will likely invest in a different seat for her...unless i can get her on a bike of her own. BTW my girlfriend would never complain and has said that she wants to go on lots of trips but would need a stop every hour and a half or so. Just my two bits. Hope it helps

#21 ·
No matter which you decide to go with may I sugest you take a look at the more northern dealer (Ogden). I don't know where you live but the drive may be worth it. I went to multiple dealers wondering if I would get a better deal. Turns out the same exact bike was about $3,000 cheaper at the dealer just down the road from me. The other tried pulling the wool over and told me their price was pretty much their cost and they would be more or less breaking even.... HA! Won't ever buy a bike from that dealer!

#24 ·
I am a 55 y.o. vision owner who got to ride a jackpot for an hour + this week.
I loved the round town part of the ride but highway riding was tiresome. The get up and go from the 97 HP motor and the lighter bike was a blast. Nice exhaust note too. I had the choice of a few victory bikes to ride and chose what I thought was the best looking one.
While I like the look of the big fat back tyre I think it made turning a bit less enjoyable. I was wondering just how good of a handling bike a JP could be with a wheel chosen for best handling characteristics.
If I was to get a second bike maybe a jackpot with a screen and rider backrest. I think I could learn to live with that good looking back tyre. The vision would be for two up and trips

#25 ·
I would love to have a Jackpot with raked front end someday for a bar hopper as a companion to my Cross Country. With that said, For two up you can't beat the Kingpin. You can get 2" pullback bars easy enough. Even put 1" risers to give you a little more but would require new cables. A Mustang seat will put your 1" further forward. Put on some knarly boots and that will get ya closer to those floorboards (not to mention add to the bad ass biker look.)

Don't feel bad about switching gears. I spent 4 months lurking here after I fell in love with the Vision but bought a Kingpin after going into the dealer. I miss my Kingpin after doing almost 10K in customizing to it. With the rebates you can get an new Vic so cheap, I would not even touch a used unless it was a major steal.

P.S. If your wife favors the JP, tell her, her ass looks smaller on the Kingpin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.