VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, 'thevog,' long time listener, first time caller. I laid $500 down to order a 2011 XC, and was told it would be here in two weeks. That was three weeks ago! Theoretically, it'll ship on the 19th, which means (again, theoretically) that I can't close and pick it up 'til the 23rd at the earliest. I'm goin' crazy!

So, in the mean time, what can I expect once I get it? So far, I've gotten that buffeting is a huge issue. Is it really that bad, or are those posts skewed by the folks that have had bad experiences? I've heard that Victory clutch cables break before you hit 20K miles unless you smooth the barrel and keep it lubricated. True? Is the gas gauge really as unreliable as I've heard? Am I about to make a bad purchasing decision?

Don't worry, it'll take a lot to change my mind. I took one for a test ride and fell hopelessly in love. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
368 Posts
honestly, the buffeting does suck with the standard windscreen. Either get the tall one right up front, or order an aftermarket one. I got a 13" Cee Baileys and love it.

Havent heard about clutch cables....

Gas guage...depends what you mean by unreliable. Mine sticks on full for about the first 80 miles, then drops pretty quickly to 1/4 tank and hangs up again. When my gas light comes on, I can only get about 4.3 gals in the tank, so there is plenty left. It isnt that big of a deal once you get used to it.

The rest of the bike makes up for its faults or quirks. I bought mine the first week of may and have 2200 miles on it with absolutely no issues or complaints once I got the different windscreen.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
In regards to the fuel issue, if its anything like the Vision then the best way to get a feel for your fuel situation is to work off the "Range" setting. I have found that when my bike tells me I have 60 miles left that it is pretty much dead-nuts-on.

Buffetting? get a Cee Baileys windshield

Whiney drive train? get loud pipes

Not enough power? get Loydz cams

.......and after you buy it, if you think you are getting too much attention, get anything else other than a Victory.

Good luck and Welcome to the VOG....we expect pictures!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There will definitely be pics, assuming I ever get the thing. Thanks for the responses, very reassuring. Which means the bike is just that much closer to perfect... Which just makes waiting that much worse... Dammit!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Congrats and WELCOME!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Buffeting ?
Best cure for that is to buy a Kingpin, I get ZERO buffeting on my 8-Ball, HAHAHAHA
Ok, i'll be nice, congrats on your new ride, change stock shield, put on some lowers and you will feel like you're driving in you car ! ( sorry, can't help myself, it's all dsjr's fault :)

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
spider said:
............( sorry, can't help myself, it's all dsjr's fault :)
Its ALWAYS dsjr's fault....just remember that and you'll have life figured out.

Don, The Cross bikes don't have the hydraulic clutch. Found that out the first time I rode one......different.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Yeah, I just figured that out. Although I could have sworn the CC had it and the CR did not when I took the now infamous demo ride... But talking about buffetting, did Victory finally realize they had a problem on the X bikes???? I think so! Lets all turn to page 16 of the Victory Riders Mag and read along together....
Lower wind deflectors....blah blah blah... Unchecked the air would flow under the fairing and upward into the low pressure zone in front of the driver.... blah blah blah...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Well, I'm 5'05" tall and have no buffetting issues whatsoever with the stock windshield. At hwy speed, I can still hear the radio.
I've read on other forums that the clutch cable (at this time) is not an issue with the XC. The clutch cable issues experienced with other bikes has beentaken into consideration when the XC was being engineered/built.
If you're getting a Vic back rest and it pushes you to far forward, disassemble the rider backrest from the bracket and reverse it. You'll feel much better.
I've had no probs with my gas guage. It's pretty much on point.
Overall, I really love this bike. I took the plunge and got myself the backrest, passenger backrest and luggage rack among other 3rd party nick nacks.
Be prepared!!!! It is a head turner and everywhere you go, you will be stopped and questioned about the bike.
It's worth the wait. Good Luck with it.
The Blue Knight

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
spider said:
Buffeting ?
Best cure for that is to buy a Kingpin, I get ZERO buffeting on my 8-Ball, HAHAHAHA
Ok, i'll be nice, congrats on your new ride, change stock shield, put on some lowers and you will feel like you're driving in you car ! ( sorry, can't help myself, it's all dsjr's fault :)
phoenix9 said:
spider said:

Don, The Cross bikes don't have the hydraulic clutch. Found that out the first time I rode one......different.
Okay, so how did everything become my fault? You guys teaming up on me this week... The other day another member said it pained him to agree with me....
Well, I guess if you guys are talking about me that means you still love me...lol

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Yeah gives you more to post about LOL OT said I was the one that likes to post. LOL You posted 200 posts in the last week and a half.

I bow to the master.
Call ya tomorrow bro.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
dsjr70 said:
spider said:
Buffeting ?
phoenix9 said:
spider said:

Okay, so how did everything become my fault? You guys teaming up on me this week... The other day another member said it pained him to agree with me....
Well, I guess if you guys are talking about me that means you still love me...lol
If we didn't like you we wouldn't give you such a hard time.....that's how Dean knows the world loves him... :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
dsjr70 said:
spider said:
Buffeting ?
phoenix9 said:
spider said:

Ok, i'm not sure about the " love" thing, but I think that if we did'nt kinda like you we would never reply to your posts.
And it" IS "your fault, you started the dreaded buffeting here on the Vog, "JUST SAYING"...........:)

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
spider said:
dsjr70 said:
spider said:
Buffeting ?
phoenix9 said:
spider said:

Ok, i'm not sure about the " love" thing, but I think that if we did'nt kinda like you we would never reply to your posts.
And it" IS "your fault, you started the dreaded buffeting here on the Vog, "JUST SAYING"...........:)
Hey, I didnt start it, Victory did...lol I still love you Spider...lol

·
Registered
239 Posts

I can empathize about the wait. It took over 2 months for mine to come in.
I have the 15 inch cee baileys shield which makes the bike for me.
The right height for you is based on how you ride and your height and helmet type.
I think my fuel guage is accurate it hangs on full for about 100 miles and then drops pretty quickly. Generally I thinkit is pretty much accurate. Half showing means half left.
I rode 220 miles yesterday and it showed about one quarter tank left but the trip computer said 100 miles til empty. Average mpg was 51. I will fill her up tomorrow and see what she takes out of her 5.8 gal capacity. This will tell me for sure if the computer is accurate and matches the fuel guage.
You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Captain! I'm curious what you'll find out with the fuel gauge. That mpg is awesome! I'm coming off of a 2005 Sportster 1200, and it only hit 50 mpg on it's best weeks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a download from the dealer for fixing the fuel gauge problem. I had the same problem, but another member mentioned about the download and I went to the Dealer and he did it right away. Its a Instrument panel download. Fixed the problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Like I told the salesman.
It had only been 236 days sincehe got my deposit.
ButI tell you it was well worth the wait.
This bike is awesome.
I recently did a 7 day - 4000km trip and it just got better every day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.