VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the front brake assembly connected to the ABS unit so it works in co-operation with the rear brake? Does it share a brake line to it? Even though my CCT has ABS, I'm still reluctant to grab a handful of it if required. Old school thinking from a quasi-old guy.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Not sure but I think the front and rear are controlled independently by the abs unit. Meaning if the front sensor indicates a significantly lower speed than the rear it regulates / lowers the pressure to only the front brake. If the rear sensor indicates significantly lower speed than the front it regulates / lowers the pressure to just the rear brake. Lock up both brakes it will regulate both. Vision's could get more complicated since they have linked braking.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I think Lou is right, they are independently controlled. Personally, I've never had just the front ABS kick in, if I need to stop that bad, I'm grabbing handful of front and pushing my foot through the floorboard with the rear. But I've had the rear regulate independently once. If you look at the ABS unit, it has 4 ports, 2 in and 2 out.

In the diagram below, the (M) is the designation for the modulator, which pulses, closing/opening the line for the fluid to flow.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Super Moderator
26,154 Posts
On my 13 if I go over a speed bump while applying front brake it kicks in up front alone. I try not to do it but the gate to the station has two bumps right where you have to stop and scan your ID.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.