VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'm surprised riders ride into parked cars as much as they said. But I'm not surprised that a big factor in crashes is potentially not looking ahead to better anticipate potential crashes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This study appears to identify real facts about accidents IMO. Most of the findings are not such a surprise to me. Intersections and inattentiveness causing the most problems while aggressive driving further compounds problems. I do believe that inattentiveness is at the root of most problems such as not taking the time to study the situation at an intersection, not focusing down the road and not keeping enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. I know my mind wanders more than I want it too so I am constantly trying to keep focus. I do notice that I tend to lose focus when I have been riding a long time or when I am distracted by a beautiful environment. I suppose the latter distraction will not be controlled so much since this is one of the major reasons I ride. I rationalize that these environment distractions generally take place in uncrowded situations where I am in less danger - not good practice but not likely to change.

As far as bikes falling over at a creap or stopped - no duh! Bikes just keep getting heavier and heavier as riders gravitate towards larger and larger engines while wanting them to be more and more like a car(convinces, comforts and carrying capacity etc.). Not knocking this but it all adds weight which reduces the tipping angle point of no return. Fortunately this type of accident is normally not serious for the rider - embarrassing and maddening yes. Again inattentiveness is probably the root cause of this problem.

All things considered it is a good idea to take the results of accident studies like this to heart.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
343 Posts
"The cameras, however, capture it all, even our mundane but embarrassing moments." Would have loved to see the expressions on the peoples faces when they realized the bike was going over. lol

There are a few intersections around me that I avoid like the plague during the weekend due to the congestion and impatient drivers.
One intersection in particular shares two gas stations and the St Auggie Flea market.... Sometimes there will be two to 4 cars in the median, all trying to make a left at the same time. FDOT will one day put yet another light there, my solution would be No left turn and just go up and use the left turn arrow for a U-turn. Simple and doesn't cost the taxpayer...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think the document provides no surprises to an experienced rider or driver. In fact, other than the tip-overs, I'd suggest you could apply the same results to four wheeled vehicles. Intersections, inattentiveness, rear-enders, etc.

All comes down to training, experience and paying attention. You know, just the basic things you should be doing when controlling a heavy piece of machinery that can harm you.

I think someone wasted their time and money. All they had to do is ask around.

Reactions: FoFo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.