VOG Forum banner

A Couple of Weeks with Metzlers

5535 Views 52 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  VvJoel
I've had the Metzlers for a few weeks now and gotten about two hundred miles of both highway and city riding. So far, I really haven't noticed any difference between them and the OE Dunlops. Ride is smooth, grip seems to be about the same and I put quite a bit of lean into the bike around turns. All in all, they seem to be a pretty good purchase. Guess I'll know once I get ten thousand miles on them and see where I'm at.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
4,503 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
The Metzeler CruiseTec and ME888 that are manufactured for the Hammer are radials, not a bias ply. An "R" in the tire size typically indicates a radial tire.....DO NOT run Bias-Ply tires on these bikes in either position.....the wheels, suspension are set up for radials. Additionally, the Metzeler CruiseTec is a dual compund tire, unlike the Pirelli Night Dragon. Finally, both companies are owned by Pirelli, but Metzeler focuses on motorcycle tire technology and design. Its likely the innovations made by Metzeler find their way into Pirelli motorcycle tires.

· Registered
226 Posts
Thanks. I doubled check and they are radials. My bad. I still have the dunlop on the front and just ordered the rear metzler. I just can't believe how much better it handles.
On my vision I have the e4 on the back and I ordered the dunlop sport tire that goes on the goldwing by accident. It turns so much better.
The curvature of a tire really gives a bike a totally different nature.

· Registered
272 Posts
The Metzeler CruiseTec 260 is simply awesome on this Hammer. The profile is perfect, and dramatically changes the handling characteristics of these bikes. Simply amazing. Dual compound helps as well with tire wear, but (2) things: as someone previously stated, nothing is more important than ALWAYS setting your cold tire pressure before going out....religiously. It WILL net you more mileage and better handling. Second thing is these torque-monsters will destroy a tire no matter who the manufacturer or what the compound is. That said, this makes tire pressure SOOOOO MUCH more important. If its low, these bikes will cup the **** out of them very quickly when ridden semi-aggressively. These bikes are heavy and have very good braking systems, which will expose any tire pressure issues. I run between 38-40lbs in the rear, and 36-38 in the front, FWIW. Check/set it in the garage out of the sun before every ride, every day.

· Registered
226 Posts
Good to know. I set both bikes at 40 especially after they wear down. I find that the tire flexes more due to less rubber to keep the form of the tire when cornering. I also found the rear brake locked up pretty easy with the dunlop. Like I was riding with a hockey puck. My stopping distance has really improved.

· Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, these bikes are heavy at 650lbs, I'm not svelte at 244lbs, and I like the torque powering out of the kinks in the road. 40lbs of air in the rear is my norm if ambient air is above 40 degrees. You're right.....that tire carcass is flexing for sure.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts