VOG Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,998 Posts
the 240 pirelli night dragon is also SEVERAL pounds lighter!!! very important unsprung + rotating weight that increases performance, braking + overall handling. several have used the avon's, a compromise it seems, a bit longer lasting + a bit less sticky + a couple of pounds heavier!! lots of choices for YOU!!

· Registered
210 Posts
I am running a 240 pirelli and it measures exactly 240mm edge to edge on a 8.5" wheel. I wanted to go 250 or 260, but have very little clearance left.

Today i saw a metz 260 on a Vrod, and it measured 248mm. Took the measurement about 4 times and its still 248mm.

From a distance, the 8mm extra sure looked alot fatter. Hope its no physcological

· Registered
4,845 Posts
I am running a 240 pirelli and it measures exactly 240mm edge to edge on a 8.5" wheel. I wanted to go 250 or 260, but have very little clearance left.

Today i saw a metz 260 on a Vrod, and it measured 248mm. Took the measurement about 4 times and its still 248mm.

From a distance, the 8mm extra sure looked alot fatter. Hope its no physcological
You have to tell me were you buy your tires in spore ... My rim is Hammer so i could go wider ...
Are there Pirellie avaleble in Hammer rim sizes in spore ?

· Registered
1,998 Posts
shop for the best prices on the tyres you want as there are rebates going on quite often. i like the sticky + lighter Pirelli night dragons for my Hammer. be aware just "googling" will only get their preferred sellers, but not always the best delivered cost!!!

· Registered
85 Posts
Well, I just learned something by reading this thread. I've had my Hammer for just over a year and put about 4,500 miles on it in that time. The bike had 700 on it when I got it, so that means the 250 back tire has more than 5,200 miles on it. I just noticed for the first time the other day that the tire IS looking kinda flat across the middle. So the point is I guess I'm due, or close to it, for a tire change. But I will say that I haven't noticed any difference in handling, and I love leaning in the curves, too. I had no idea how long these tires last. I was honestly thinking they were good for many, many more miles...but I guess not.

· Registered
4,503 Posts

· Registered
6,852 Posts
This thread started in April of 2016 so some (much) of the tire information could be outdated. You may want to start a fresh thread asking about wide tires options and recommendations for your Hammer.

· Registered
6,523 Posts
Thanks,
The XC is good..I just picked up a Hammer that needs new shoes and was checking around for different tire sizes.
Depending upon manufacturer you could get a 240, 250 or 260. The contact patch of a 240 could be greater than a 260 because a 260 on the same wheel will have a more rounded shape.

However tire construction and measurements from brand to brand seam to vary quite a bit.

So in theory a 260 having a rounder shape should turn-in a little easier than a 240.

Fortunately/unfortunately they don't last that long so you can try a different one in just 6-10,000 miles.

· Registered
4,503 Posts
21 - 40 of 53 Posts