VOG Forum banner

A Couple of Weeks with Metzlers

5535 Views 52 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  VvJoel
I've had the Metzlers for a few weeks now and gotten about two hundred miles of both highway and city riding. So far, I really haven't noticed any difference between them and the OE Dunlops. Ride is smooth, grip seems to be about the same and I put quite a bit of lean into the bike around turns. All in all, they seem to be a pretty good purchase. Guess I'll know once I get ten thousand miles on them and see where I'm at.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
I put quite a bit of lean into the bike around turns.
I have not had an opportunity to ride my bike yet as we're still waiting for spring to arrive here in Northern Ontario and my new bike has been sitting in my garage waiting patiently for me to let her rip for two months now!

I too like to really lean into corners having done so with my Honda. Should I have any concerns with excessive lean with my Hammer? I have stock exhaust and was actually wondering if to much lean will scrape the factory exhaust?

Cobra:(

· Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
I have not had an opportunity to ride my bike yet as we're still waiting for spring to arrive here in Northern Ontario and my new bike has been sitting in my garage waiting patiently for me to let her rip for two months now!

I too like to really lean into corners having done so with my Honda. Should I have any concerns with excessive lean with my Hammer? I have stock exhaust and was actually wondering if to much lean will scrape the factory exhaust?

Cobra:(
@PJRo your Popeliness???

· Registered
3,155 Posts
@PJRo your Popeliness???
I love everything about the Metz xxl 260 vs. the OEM Dunlop 250.

The rounder profile handles and wears much better IMO than the Dunny ....

I have done around 25000 miles ( on 6 rear tires ) ..... and the ride is good up until about 4500 miles for me.....

Once the rear tire wears flat ....and it happened a few thousand miles earlier on the Dunny .....the bike no longer handles properly ....

Peter

Reactions: Jeb27

· Registered
3,155 Posts
It's very unlikely you will get more than 5000 miles on any rear tire you put on your hammer .....

The combination of being such a wide , low profile tire ..... and the softer rubber compound utilized .....

You need to be very cognizant of keeping the tire pressure at OEM specs....and this will help with tire life....

For me ..... once the big fat tire flattens in the middle ....it might as well be flat ....Cus it's not fun to ride......

I am happy with 4K of good wear from the Metz.

Peter

· Registered
157 Posts
@PJRo your Popeliness???
PJRo......in hind site I think that Keith Grey was deferring my question to you ......I get it now....you're the information bank all things Victory Hammer.

My question is, with extreme leaning in corners do I need to worry about contacting the factory exhaust to the pavement and damaging or marking my exhaust, or will there still be clearance regardless of how much I lean?

Cobra

· Grouchy Old Member
7,239 Posts
PJRo......in hind site I think that Keith Grey was deferring my question to you ......I get it now....you're the information bank all things Victory Hammer.

My question is, with extreme leaning in corners do I need to worry about contacting the factory exhaust to the pavement and damaging or marking my exhaust, or will there still be clearance regardless of how much I lean?

Cobra
I received a notification because you quoted me, but if you need Pete (or anyone) to get a notice they were mentioned insert their name with an @ in your post, like:
@PJRo

Reactions: Cobravenomous

· Registered
157 Posts

@PJRo .......

Cobra

· Registered
3,155 Posts

Cobra
Keith 'notified' as he knows I ride a Hammer , and have gone thru a 'few' back tires ......

I am not the Total Information bank on all things Victory Hammer , but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently ...for what that is worth .... :)

As far as extreme leaning and marking up your factory exhaust.
Several points :

....have you ridden the bike yet ? If memory serves me ....you are waiting for the Canadian winter to go away .....so with that ....

no you will not mark up the factory exhaust ..... you will scrape the foot pegs well before the pipe.

If you scrape the exhaust ...you have crashed.....and that's another separate matter that will probably require another post.

2nd .... If you are like most peeps here ..... you will want to upgrade from the factory exhaust anyways ..... so I wouldn't worry.

The Hammer does not come from the factory as a corner carver by any means.... it will take some experience , and adjustments on your part....and possibly some aftermarket tweaks on the bike part.....

Ride it some ......then report back ..... Have fun .

Peter

· Registered
157 Posts
Keith 'notified' as he knows I ride a Hammer , and have gone thru a 'few' back tires ......

I am not the Total Information bank on all things Victory Hammer , but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express recently ...for what that is worth .... :)

As far as extreme leaning and marking up your factory exhaust.
Several points :

....have you ridden the bike yet ? If memory serves me ....you are waiting for the Canadian winter to go away .....so with that ....

no you will not mark up the factory exhaust ..... you will scrape the foot pegs well before the pipe.

If you scrape the exhaust ...you have crashed.....and that's another separate matter that will probably require another post.

2nd .... If you are like most peeps here ..... you will want to upgrade from the factory exhaust anyways ..... so I wouldn't worry.

The Hammer does not come from the factory as a corner carver by any means.... it will take some experience , and adjustments on your part....and possibly some aftermarket tweaks on the bike part.....

Peter
Thanks......and yes, I'm still waiting for spring and my first ride on the Hammer!

· Registered
1,998 Posts
if you want REALLY sporty tyres pirelli night dragons for sure!! stock front 240 out back, they are a bit lighter as well, a good thing with the boat anchor OE rear wheel weight. if it was not so costly i would run a 17" X 6.25 out back + a 200-55-17 tyre giving the same OD with better handling + less weight!!

· Registered
117 Posts

Peter
This is so true as it wants to stand back up pretty good. Maybe not as much as my Big Dog did with the 280 on it but I've dragged pegs on both sides of the Hammer and talk about making me nervous. Wow.
However I'm curious as too any tweaks you might know of anything to help with this. I have the 4 inch forward controls on it now and have been actually thinking of going to the 5 inch ones.

Reactions: sfoens

· Registered
1,998 Posts
like i said before Pirelli Night Dragons!!! they stick + make the bike want to lean!! big tyres are for wow but sporty shaped night dragons tyres will make a totally different animal for sure. you don't see real sport bikes with oversized tyres + they have almost twice the horsepower!! i removed + sold my like new dunrocks early to truely enjoy the hammer. for a bike of its size it feels lighter + handles better than the 06 top heavy porkster i owned, i threw about 4G's at it + the hammer kills it stock, live + learn!!

· Registered
89 Posts
I love everything about the Metz xxl 260 vs. the OEM Dunlop 250.

The rounder profile handles and wears much better IMO than the Dunny ....

I have done around 25000 miles ( on 6 rear tires ) ..... and the ride is good up until about 4500 miles for me.....

Once the rear tire wears flat ....and it happened a few thousand miles earlier on the Dunny .....the bike no longer handles properly ....

Peter
Is the Metz 260 wider or more narrow than the Dunlop 250? I know some "wider" tires are actually not as wide as others. Different brands are different. But I'm looking for that touch wider look!

· Registered
89 Posts
This is so true as it wants to stand back up pretty good. Maybe not as much as my Big Dog did with the 280 on it but I've dragged pegs on both sides of the Hammer and talk about making me nervous. Wow.
However I'm curious as too any tweaks you might know of anything to help with this. I have the 4 inch forward controls on it now and have been actually thinking of going to the 5 inch ones.
How tall are you having 4" forward pegs? I've been thinking of going 2" on my hammer. I'm 5'9"

· Registered
3,155 Posts
Is the Metz 260 wider or more narrow than the Dunlop 250? I know some "wider" tires are actually not as wide as others. Different brands are different. But I'm looking for that touch wider look!
it is wider , but has a rounder / taller profile ...so appears a tad thinner than the OEM Dunlop.

Reactions: Wuzupez

· Registered
1,998 Posts
there was an extensive comparison years ago noting Metzler's run a bit smaller in a comparable sized dunrock, my choice is the lighter + very sporty pirelli night dragon, it too gives up wear for sticky traction that can save your life!!!

· Registered
89 Posts
there was an extensive comparison years ago noting Metzler's run a bit smaller in a comparable sized dunrock, my choice is the lighter + very sporty pirelli night dragon, it too gives up wear for sticky traction that can save your life!!!
I just love the looks of the wide tire! My sport bike is for cornering! This bike is for cruising! Plus I have it lowered in rear so definitely don't hammer corners! Haha get it, "hammer"

· Registered
89 Posts
But while on this subject! What tire is better than the stocker "but" (key word but) just as wide or wider? From what I've gathered from you guys the Pirelli is sticky but narrower. The Metz is wider (260) yet a hair narrower. Anyone run or use a Cobra?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts