A couple of things to share | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

A couple of things to share

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Half_Crazy, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Bikeless
    First one...
    Wednesday afternoon I was mowing grass and big ol' hornet went up the leg of my shorts. Before I could kill the prick, he stung me 4 times. It stopped hurting around 2:00 Thursday. Those things kick ass. It looked like a huge yellow jacket that's been working out... a lot...

Tonight Puss and I took the class to get HQLs (permit to buy handguns in MD). We are also getting both getting Utah concealed carry permits. We ended up doing quite a bit of shooting and Puss shot better than most of the men in the class. We did some drills where you walk backwards and shoot five rounds as fast as you can and then walk forward and shoot 5 rounds as fast as you can. Then we did some double taps fast as we could at 7 yards. These targets are 35 rounds each...

15956447125681565711221773200329.jpg

oh... Smith & Wesson single action 9mm

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    It has to be good knowing that your mowing days will begin to phase out soon.

Once schooled, I think most women shoot better than men. Even when first introduced to firearms, willing women usually take to it well for one reason or another. Congrats to you and yours. The drill you mentioned sounds like a great real world exercise and fun to practice in a safe / controlled environment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    Funny, the class was mostly men, only two women, and there were men there who could barely keep their shots on the paper. We are going back today... she wants to try out some guns for purchase.

I know the owners of the range and both are competition shooters. I think the wife is a little better than he is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    Puss wants to practice with her .25 ACP purse pistol today. I told her that if you shoot someone with that, and they find out about it, they'll be pissed. I want her to get a hammerless .38 special revolver, so she's going to try one out today as well.

I want to put a bunch of rounds thru my compact .45 just for practice and see how Puss does shooting that. She's probably not going to like it, but that's what's available most of the time for home defense, so she needs to get more familiar with it at least until she gets something more formidable that a .25 ACP Barretta.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    My favorite all around gun to shoot is a Springfield XDS9. Small enough to carry, big enough to be fun at the range, very accurate. But my favorite gun that I carried was a very unsexy Ruger LR22. Julie might really like how the grip fits (I used the extended magazine for larger hand). It was a fairly cheap gun, but fit so well even though it was small. Shot pretty accurate too.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    This is what I'm thinking for her...

1122.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. benawhati

benawhati Active Member

2017 Vic Gunner/2011 VIc XC "Tour"
    My mom has that same gun, only with purple instead of pink, it's her carry. She originally got one that has the hammer but was worried it would catch if she had to draw it quickly. The only complaint she has about the hammerless is the trigger seems to be a little harder to pull than the hammer version. I like both versions, they both are pretty easy to shoot.

8. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I like that. While I like my Ruger better to carry, I shot way more at the range. I never once even unholstered while carrying. So I decided instead of compromising on the enjoyment factor at the range, I would compromise on the carry ability and traded in for the larger Springfield. Then I came off the road and quit carrying pretty much altogether.

I’ve often thought the best gun for personal protection to be the revolver. On the very slim chance of a misfire, just keep pulling the trigger. Best gun for home defense, shotgun. Most fun at the range: semi automatic rifle or big ass Dirty Harry handgun. I think the 9mm is a nice compromise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. T BONE

T BONE Active Member

2013 Cross Roads Classic
    I have the S&W 400 hammerless as my pocket gun when wearing a coat back in the day when me and Teresa would go to Seattle or Tacoma for dinner or a night out in a larger town, Julie will like the weight and feel of that size wheel gun. For home defense my primary is the 1300 home defender 12 ga, it holds 8 rounds and likely wont miss any target I aim at. Glad to see you are both taking this venture seriously.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    We ended up shooting 3 guns today.

Puss has a Baretta .25 ACP tilt-barrel

111.jpg

This proved to be very reliable, functioned perfectly, and it's accurate, but the sights are sh!t. It's fun to shoot and not at all intimidating for Puss. 50 rounds down range from this one.

My Colt 1991 A1 Compact .45 ACP

222.jpg

This one is great for me... Kinda heavy for a carry piece, but the weight is a plus when you start shooting it. Potent and accurate. It's a lot for Puss to shoot but she was a trooper and we put 100 rounds through it.

And we rented one of these S&W Bodyguard models

333.jpg

It had a laser sight, which we didn't use much. It was a light gun and even shooting .38 specials it was rather punishing. I wouldn't want to shoot .357 Magnums out of this. She really didn't like the double-action-only operation and I wasn't impressed by the trigger at all. I shot 15 rounds through it and she shot 35. Now we're re-thinking the DOA snub nose.

Puss did better with the .45 than the .38... which surprised me. I could tell that after a while the recoil was wearing her down, but she put a box of 230 grain ball through it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    Your best option is to let her to pick her own firearms. Many men make the expensive mistake of telling or leading their spouse in what to buy.

Leave her be to decide on her own without your input. Believe me, it’s by far the best option.

Many poke fun at .22’s, .25’s and .32’s yet I have yet to see one of the detractors volunteer to be shot with one at self defense range. Whatever tool someone will actually carry and use is the best option.

Having to deploy a firearm means that 90% of your defenses have already failed. Listen to actual experts and get the most practical training you can, as often as you can. Gun Talk is one of the best podcasts available as are their videos on YouTube. Tom Gresham is simply wonderful to listen to and learn from.

Welcome to the wonderful world of hand held lead propellant devices.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    Not surprising since the 1911 is single action and weighs a little over twice as much as the 38 revolver that only has a double action trigger. The 45 isn't some punishing round to fire anyways. Might have a longer sight radius on the 1911 too which can help

13. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    I'm no stranger to shooting and guns. I have several firearms and now I will be getting more handguns since a permit is required to buy now (even tough I already own guns). Trust me, I hit what I'm aiming at.

We were just discussing this... he hates the .38 revolver. She likes the action and trigger of my .45, but it's too heavy, the recoil is a lot for her, and she can't rack the slide on it.... so right now she's leaning toward something like this...

Baby Rock - 380 ACP | Armscor International, Inc

I make fun of her .25 but she can place her shots with it pretty well and it doesn't make her flinch or jump when it goes off.

I want to pick up one of these too...
    Ruger® Mark IV™ 22/45™ Rimfire Pistol Model 40107

• Like Like x 2
  14. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    I think lighter, less potent caliber, easier slide to rack... but same single action and short-throw trigger... This might be the ticket.
    Baby Rock - 380 ACP | Armscor International, Inc

15. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    Is the hammer cocked back or resting against the firing pin when trying to rack it?