VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learn from my expensive mistake. Ordered a Yuasa on amazon for my 2016 Magnum. It was mis-sorted by Loomis & went on a journey to vancouver before Calgary..so I was already on a roll with this $140 canadian battery. It was the dry cell version so filled up, charged, beautiful..went to install today..knew it was a snug fit but got the right side in fine looking from the front..left side wouldn't seat though. Hmmm. So I give it a thump with my hand. Acid drips from the tray.

Here's the tip! You may not notice but there is a fin that sticks out on the left hand side! The battery nicely fits within it, if you know its there! Versus smashing it through the back of your #@$! new battery.

I went out and bought another locally before I thought about it too much.

I should have been riding last weekend.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Mostly I have learned from many mistakes.
GranPa said:
"If you never touch anything you'll never fluck up but you'll never learn anything".
I've touched a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
396 Posts
After about 3 weeks of ownership, my XCT gave up. Troubleshooting got me to the battery, which I had a hell of a time getting out. When I finally popped it out, discovered that whoever had installed it had jammed it in over that left metal tab and it finally broke thru into the inner cell. Still scratching my head over the "professional" install! Warranty got me a new battery while I did all the work. Still the best and most comfortable bike out of the box that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...misery does love company!

On the subject of mistakes ceo of our company would say its ok to make any mistake...once. Make the same mistake again, that's a problem!

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
Lol. I'm not promising anything until its in and running!
...while re-installing my battery this season I was having a tough time of it, getting it over the lip of the box while at the same time trying to get it in far enough to rest in position took waayyy longer than it should have... nxt time it is out I think I will "zip" cut the botton ledge off to alleviate the frustration factor.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...while re-installing my battery this season I was having a tough time of it, getting it over the lip of the box while at the same time trying to get it in far enough to rest in position took waayyy longer than it should have... nxt time it is out I think I will "zip" cut the botton ledge off to alleviate the frustration factor.
Not a bad idea. Not like it can go anywhere. Shroud covering and the strap

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mostly I have learned from many mistakes.
GranPa said:
"If you never touch anything you'll never fluck up but you'll never learn anything".
I've touched a lot of stuff.
My life's story right there. Your gramps is a smart man.

Reactions: Tenax66

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I have had my battery out twice and it was only the first time that I had problems with it.... Yes it is in tight but after we got the old one out the new one (identical in every way) to the old one came out once with ease for some reason that I forget about now.... I have no idea as to this "lip" you all referring to..... Now when the weather gets a bit cooler I will have to investigate this, just so I am in the loop....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had my battery out twice and it was only the first time that I had problems with it.... Yes it is in tight but after we got the old one out the new one (identical in every way) to the old one came out once with ease for some reason that I forget about now.... I have no idea as to this "lip"

you all referring to..... Now when the weather gets a bit cooler I will have to investigate this, just so I am in the loop....
On my bike there is a lip in the front of the battery tray. 1/8 inch or so. So it can't just slide out the front

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
There's no reason to pull the battery out for the winters. Except for the winter of 2016-17, when the engine was dismantled to cure the loud clacking sound (no damage occurred and all 6 lifters replaced), it has remained in the bike with a maintainer connected all through winter. My first 2 years of ownership had me pulling out the battery. A frustrating action to say the least. Never again!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know I haven't in the past but I wonder now as the original battery was only 2 seasons old. But the bike is a 2016. It could have sat uncharged for a long time until i bought the bike new. I only put 1400 km on the bike since I got it. But i load tested and had definitely gone bad. Was plugged on a BT Jr all winter. We get pretty cold in Canada!

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Here's the tip! You may not notice but there is a fin that sticks out on the left hand side! The battery nicely fits within it, if you know its there! Versus smashing it through the back of your #@$! new battery.
I was referring to this statement of yours @Tenax66 as to the "lip" thing, it is this "fin" you refer to that I was alluding to, sorry me bad.... :angel4:

Reactions: Tenax66

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
There's no reason to pull the battery out for the winters. Except for the winter of 2016-17, when the engine was dismantled to cure the loud clacking sound (no damage occurred and all 6 lifters replaced), it has remained in the bike with a maintainer connected all through winter. My first 2 years of ownership had me pulling out the battery. A frustrating action to say the least. Never again!
Only if you store your bike inside in a warm place, leave it outside in the cold and you my pay a price you don't want to
Regards

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.