VOG Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all, I've been reading the vog since nov08, & wanted to join in the various posts but I'm a computer idiot (web search/e-mail thats it) But I just had to tell y'all about a very cool product that 1-adds hp/tq, 2-cools engine,3-doubles the oil change intervals, 4-extends engine life!!. Six different car/bike mags have run articles/ dyno tests on this product, & have been "blown-away" @ the results. here's a sample: Street chopper mag did a dyno test on a 93c.i. S&S shovelhead (modern technology-not old 70's type motor)=79hp/85tq, after changing oil, & installing a "PUREPOWER" stainless/lifetime oil filter the dyno showed 87hp/96tq with NO adjustments or tuning of any kind, thats 8hp/11tq more than before. It also ran 15% cooler. the guy that invented it is Kelly tidwell, the same guy that founded S.T.D., big bore harley engines. Kelly is an engineer w/ many issued patents and an expert on oil & high performance engines of all types (bikes-cars diesels -aircraft-etc) his website is http://www.gopurepower.com/ . I called him after I read the Street Chopper article and was amazed at what I learned about oil, (which B.T.W. his filter will double your oil change intervals no matter which brand you use. there are other stainless/lifetime oil filters out on the market too,( K&P-SCOTT-ETC) and their all superior to any paper filter. But"purepower's" is the original &the best. So if you want a cooler running, more hp/tq,5K-oil change interval bike that filters out, over 90% more impurties than what your using, check out his website.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

YA he's got auto,diesel, aircraft, bike, etc. However he's a bike racer from way back. I also forgot to list the bike/car mags that did articles/tests on the filter. 1-Bike Works (mar.07) 2-Street Chopper (feb09) 3- rod&custom(mar07) 4-Street rodder(feb07) 5- HotRod (apr06). But remember that he founded S.T.D. back in the 80's, so he was into BIG inch harley's way before many ofthe current guy's of today.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

the K&P filter is a good product,far superior to any paper filter on the market. If you go to K&P's web site, and the gopurepower website you'll realize we're being scam'ed by the paper oil filter products out there. Also on K&P's website, their dyno testing on a 96c.i. harley showed a net gain of 2.51hp & 4.21ft-tq, not bad (you wont get that from a paper unit). However the Street Chopper/dyno test with the purepower oil filter on a 93c.i. harley showed a 8hp/11ft-tq increase, thats about 3.5x the hp & 2.5x the tq. (more than K&P) Plus the purepower filter made the 93 c.i. motor run 15% cooler, that GOOD news for the folks that are not happy with their engines heat, the purepower filter is like having a another oil cooler on the bike. both the K&P, & the purepower filters are a "cheap-hp/tq" performance up grade, and a "life-extention" product for your engine, because they ACTUALLY filter the oil, 90% better.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
I tried reading that stuff but got a headache. It appears to me that if you have the below.

(Dyno tests show an increase of 5 or more horsepower. Independentlaboratory SAE Testing results: Increased Oil Flow 20+ gpm and BurstTest at 1,000 psi.)

The pick up in a Harley delivers 10 GPM. Nothing can flow faster than the mechanical devices can push it. So the idea that the filter can flow at a higher rate than the standard means nothing. How many GPM can the standard filter handle? They forget to say that, just that this is 20+GPM better. It is still only going to get 10 GPM ever. The mechanical maximum.

Now, if I take a storm drain and a screen intending to stop a golf ball what would be better? Well, the screen but the storm drain surely will take a lot more GPM as it won't be catching anything small.

Sorry, I am not buying it, nor am I buying a big HP gain from an oil filter. I will buy that a cooler motor runs better than a hot one but at what cost to the motor when filtration is reduced.

Wouldn't a billion buck company want to increase power and eliminate warranty exposure? Sure they would, its amazing they don't come standard on bikes like Brembo brakes.

I am probably really wrong about it.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Mudge said:
An oil filter creating more horsepower and torque? Bull pucky.
Well said, Mudge.
There is no way there is that much parasitic horsepower loss inthe oiling system. Since when is oil flow even related to power? Is the oil pump "struggling" to force the oil thru and thereby eating 8 hp? The crank can be machined to aid in cutting through the oil, but even that is a marginal improvement at best.
Out of curiousity I called a friend that is on Hendrick Motorsportsrace team and he said its a load of crap. And if a NASCAR team uses a regular spin-on filter....
I have magical brake levers that give you 10 mph more top speed and I also have a taillight that improves mileage 11%......

·
Registered
554 Posts
MONKEY666 said:
Mudge said:
An oil filter creating more horsepower and torque? Bull pucky.
Well said, Mudge.
There is no way there is that much parasitic horsepower loss inthe oiling system. Since when is oil flow even related to power? Is the oil pump "struggling" to force the oil thru and thereby eating 8 hp? The crank can be machined to aid in cutting through the oil, but even that is a marginal improvement at best.
Out of curiousity I called a friend that is on Hendrick Motorsportsrace team and he said its a load of crap. And if a NASCAR team uses a regular spin-on filter....
I have magical brake levers that give you 10 mph more top speed and I also have a taillight that improves mileage 11%......
LMFAO!!!!! I love it!!! Ive got a helmet that alows you a 10mph gain no matter what bike you ride. hahahahah

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had one,had to take it off.I couldn't leave a stop sign etc without smoking the tire.After 37 miles the rear tire was bald.One the plus side the front tire would last forever because it stayed in the air most of the time.

·
Registered
609 Posts

ChainGang said:
Had one,had to take it off.I couldn't leave a stop sign etc without smoking the tire.After 37 miles the rear tire was bald.One the plus side the front tire would last forever because it stayed in the air most of the time.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Ichecked andits banned by every racing sanctioning body since not only is it a ridiculously unfair advantage, but the horsepower is so uncontrollable it makes a nitro bike seem like riding a Vespa.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK OK, you guys are having your fun, Let me just clairify a few points 1-I dont own stock 2-I dont work for or sell their products 3-I,ve never even met any of them. 4-whatever oil, or filter, or any other product any one buy's is their business,not mine and dosen't put a penny in my pocket. I'm just trying to pass along some helpful info,because over the last 9 months of reading the vog I've read many Guys complaining about heat from their bikes & 2500K oil changes as well as the poping/backfiring, & lack of factory to rider communication. I guess my enthusiam to help out got misunderstood as Preachy-Salesman ish, My bad, However before you write me off as some "under the either"-gullable Idiot consider this. The purepower oil filter won a 2005 S.E.M.A. award, is Highly endorsed by Don Garlits (he uses their oils& lube products, oil filters are outlawed in AA/Fuel. The Federal Avaiton Agencyhas certified only 2oil filters for s.t.c. 1-champion (a paper filter) & Purepower (stainless/lifetime) the champion's rated for25hrs before changing & the purepower is rated at 100hrs before changing the oil. I also called hbhogs.com and asked if the street chopper/dyno test was legit, and Ed (the hbhogs.com owner) said he gets skeptic's all the time, but the dyno dosent lie.., HOT BIKE BAGGERS also did their own dyno/test, w/ a different bike & different hp/tq #'s but still an increase of hp/tq. If you web search it You'll find many threads on it, & what I found is that some guy's are pretty loud about critizing it & putting it down w/Their opinion's, but no dyno evidence. There were also many skeptical magazine article,s (car-bike-truck) who walked away impressed w/purepower after the dyno test. So I guess I'm gullable, BTW this snake oil Yall mentioned duz it come in 15/30 or5/40 & where can I git some.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
Racky, I don't think you were spamming the group. I just really don't care about the dyno results. The guy running the dyno may not know what they did to the bike from one test to the other. I just know I don't agree that the only difference was and oil filter. The science for me just is not there.

Kinda like all the gas saving stuff. If you used it all you would have to stop every 20 miles and drain some gas out of the tank as you would save 110%.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Howdy satxron, thanks for the reply. Fair enough, there's nothing wrong with healthy skepticism, it can help prevent getting ripped off. Just like you & the other voger's, I too love bike's, Ive owned 3 (all-harleys) but I've been hooked since 1963, when I got a ride on a xlch sporty. I'm not a master mechanic, but I built my 1st & 2nd harley's from the ground up. So when I read a true expert's post, (like Lloyd Greer, smokey yunick,don garlits, etc-etc)I bounce it off of my own experence & knowledge. &if there's enough logic or evidence, and ya see it replicated or other folks having the same experence, then I'm usually convinced. just for your own curiouity & to "get the science" you might want to call Kelly tidwell and see what you think 714-894-2994 who knows he just might be a duck with a cause lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.