VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just picked up my brand spankin new KP 8 Ball last night. Very excited while at the same time, in great pain! Here are some first impressions from a first time rider.

Having only had a couple short test rides under my belt, I wasn't sure what freeway riding and 30 miles would feel like. The bike, although physically heavy, feels light and easy to control. Even for a total newbie. Took it to a parking lot and was doing slow speed turns and stuff, nearly dropped the damn thing. But because of the balance I was easily able to drop my left foot and catch the bike and put it upright. Thank you Victory engineers! Hello Lindby Multibar!

The dealer installed the black Ness Fly Bars and the Touring seat. Sitting on the solo seat with a basic mock up of the Ness Bars, it seemed it had enough pullback. But it ain't. Maybe cause I am built like a T-Rex. Big head, little arms. Maybe the tour seat sets you back (it has no driver backrest). I don't know, but I can't live with it as it stands. I also read some conflicting information. Mustang seats website reports their seat moves you back 1.5 inches. One of the posters here (ZZ I believe) said the seat moved him forwards a couple inches. If that is the case, then that would help a lot. But with the width of the seat, it splits me like a wishbone on Thanksgiving Day! But my feet are up more than not. And my back would appreciate the relief. I wonder if the Mustang seat can be modified so that it is more narrow at the front? Also just read that the Vic touring seat with backrest pushes you forward. Maybe another option. But that seat needs to go to Russel to make it viable long term. I need to talk with the dealer today about both seat options, as the Ness bars can't be brought back any using risers. And they just look too good to replace.

At low speeds there seems to be a ton of tranny noise and belt whine. And it doesn't like to move at speeds less than 5mph. It lugs and chugs and complains. So I have to play in the friction zone and throttle up. No biggie, 1st gear seems pretty tall so I just have to adjust to it. And the bike has 30 miles on it, so obviously I will wait and see how the break in goes.

Plenty of giddy up for 2 up. I had no doubts but was worried how I would do with the wife on the back. Never having ridden with a passenger. I was nervous. But on this bike, the only way you know you have a passenger is when they squeeze the crap out of you, cause you just grabbed a handful of throttle. Very cool.

Brakes seem good enough. As long as you use both at the same time. I know it would affect the look, but I would appreciate dual front discs.

Stock exhaust. No questions there, it sucks. But I am out of money til next season to replace them. And the pipes I want, RPW and Victory don't have in stock. I will put the S&S intake and the RPW Thor 2-1 pipes in Black on the bike. Then I will be one happy camper (assuming I fix the ergo issue).

Thanks for the input from the Forum members here who helped me make the decision to get a Kingpin and not a Jackpot. It is more comfortable, and the wife appreciates it! Although she already burnt the **** out of her calf when she threw a leg over the bike just after I rode it and char broiled herself on the exhaust! Ouch.

And as I am sure that no one here has ever seen pics of a basically stock '09 KP 8 Ball, check out the pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Welcome, TAKE A PICTURE!!!! Let us see that Bad Boy

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Congrats.
I had both the Mustang and the Vic tour seat. They will both put you further back, with the Mustang I could not reach my highway bars but it is the most comfortable. Before you invest in a seat and then sending it out to make it narrower, I would just take you existing seat and have it redone. There are a few places by me that I have used to have gel-packs installed and custom leather put on. It has cost me less then buying a good seat. Also, I believe you can send the stock one to Russell All Day and have them rework it for you. I have heard great results from a few members here.
Don

·
Grouchy Old Member
7,250 Posts

Welcome! and nice choice of bike it's a beauty.
Your KP may seem a common siteon here, but you are gonna get a lot of questions on the road and in parking lots.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

xnuke1 said:
But how do I get the seat to push me forward a couple inches? Can Russell do that too?
I am sure they can. I had my Mustang redone and they added some padding to the back to push me forward then some gel to keep the butt happy.
Just out of curiousity arent the Ness fly bars further away from you then the factory bars? Would risers on the bars help?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

The Mustang seat will move you back and up a little. The Mustang is worth the money.
I'm 5'8" and I found the best combination for me on my Kingpin was a Mustang seat and Hammer Drag Bars. I like to lean forward a little.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Fly Bars have like 2 inches of pullback over the stock unit. Since the Ness bars screw directly into the triple tree, risers will not help, unfortunately. Will talk with the dealer today to hammer out some options.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Welcome xnuke1, your gunna love that bike.

keithgrey said:
Welcome! and nice choice of bike it's a beauty.
Your KP may seem a common siteon here, but you are gonna get a lot of questions on the road and in parking lots.
That couldn't be a more true statement. I see very few Vic's in my area. My co-worker has a Hammer and we always share stories of strangers asking us about our bikes. At the gas station, stop light, as you drive by them people on the sidewalk yelling "NICE BIKE". My most unusual incident was a guy riding a Gold Wing pulled up next to me while I was waiting in traffic at a stop light. He tells me he seen me get on the road about 1/2 mile ahead of him, he says he exceeded 90mph (in a 35mph zone) passing cars to try to catch me cuz he wanted to ask me about my bike. What is it?, who makes it?, do I like it? All the same we Vic owners have all heard. I love talking about it and it gives me a chance to brag up Victory. Enjoy that bike, and get ready to talk to strangers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
xnuke1 said:
The Fly Bars have like 2 inches of pullback over the stock unit. Since the Ness bars screw directly into the triple tree, risers will not help, unfortunately. Will talk with the dealer today to hammer out some options.
Check out Kewl Metal.

Billet 1/2" risers for Fly bars

·
Registered
463 Posts

Enjoy I have a new 8BAll KP for my wife.
Get some time in riding the parking lot at low speed to know what the bike will do, remember frcition zone, no front brake, a little back and a big key is head and eyes have to go where you want to go . Look there and the bike will go there.
No shorts on the bike and the mrs won;t get burned..enjoy I think its Victory's best bike!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jackpin said:
xnuke1 said:
Check out Kewl Metal.

Billet 1/2" risers for Fly bars

Jackpin,

Thanks for the Kewl tip. I dropped them a line to see what parts they have available to hook me up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome to the VOG.

Practice that low speed maneuvering some more so you don't ever have the shame of having someone witness an embarrassing moment. It won't take long, these bikes handle so well.

Important rule with me is, I & my passengers always wear long pants, no exceptions.

Good luck with the new ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

A thought on the seat for starters is Spencer at www.greatdaytoride.com. He will rework your seat to your specs and do it fast and reasonable.
It may not by like a Russell day long but it isn't near as costly to find out what you need.
I used him for my ST1300 to get it lower. I'm short.
I'm thinking of getting the Ness Fly bars or the 2" pullback bars for my Kingpin tour.
Do you get mirror vibration with the ness fly bars.
Good luck with getting your bike personalized

Ken

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do get mirror vibration with the flybars. It isn't completely blurred, but it certainly isn't totally still. I can still make out vehicles in the reflection, but obviously, you are looking behind you to change lanes anyway. I love the look of the Ness bars, they match the 8 Ball really really well.

But my next statement would bring upon me much ridicule and hazing if I were still in the Navy. I desperately need another 2 and a half inches! Of arm reach. If I don't get that from the seat, then I will have to go back to the original bars and use risers. I will then have a kick ass Ness Flybar in black for sale on the forum. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks for the Spencer recommend. I appreciate it.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, congrats on the Pinball! I have an '08 and love it. And I couldn't agree more with your observations!

My biggest complaint right now is my riding position. I also was thinking that maybe I was shorted in the arm department (pun intended)...but everybody assures me that's not the case. I do have a backrest on my seat, but I can't reach it and my handlebars at the same time! I also desperately need about another 2" to comfortably ride and be able to cowboy up on my highway pegs. Other reviews have noted that these bikes are vibration-heavy, and the riding position sends that vibration straight into your spinal column. Since I love the look of my seat, and am disinclined to spend $500+ on a 'stang or Corbin, I think I might try Don's suggestion and have a gel pad added. Also, when I hit about 70, I get serious jitter in my mirrors to the point that I'm better off doing a fast headcheck than looking at that mess which disorients me.

But back to the bars, there's a set here: (sorry haven't figured out link thing yet)
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/CP_1_25_Fatty_Blackout_T_Bars_for_Victory_8_Ri_p/cph-1925b.htm

A Victory certified mechanic recommended them to me but we've had some trouble getting the mfr to ship so my order got cancelled. Might try again soon, my back can't take it much more. I rode about 240 miles today and by the last 50 was just fidgeting like crazy trying to get comfy. I'd be open to hearing recommendations from others on other any pullback bar options as well. Another good reason is that in the few, erm, "gravitational incidents" (two very low-speed tipovers, long stories that I'll spare you!) that I've experienced have ended up putting dings in my tank. NOT a happy moment. It's because those bars are so low that when the handlebars hit the ground (even with my Lindby multi-bar), the hand controls moved and made a dent. So that's just one more reason to get longer bars, IMHO.

You're going to notice a lot of changes as you break it in. I said that mine (which had 49 miles on it) sounded like a sewing machine at first. Bikers in my club would ask me what the heck I had bought and I would say, "it's a Singer. Need your pants hemmed?" ;) 2,500 miles later, it has lost a LOT of that whine (or maybe I'm just used to that Victory sound?) and sounds nice and thrummy. I also noticed the low-speed jerkiness. It's still there, but I have learned to work around it (lots of clutch!). I wonder how much of that is the gearing vs. the belt drive or the shaft? Dunno. Be interesting to hear other more experienced (than me) riders weigh in on that.

As for the heat factor, you're not kidding. I've gotten heat rash (mind you, I live in Jax, FL, which gets bloody hot most of the year, so I'm used to it!) through my pants, boots, and socks near where my pipes run. And yes, burned myself right through my jeans when I leaned up against it to put in gas (repeatedly. One would think I'd learn...). I warn everybody who gets near it that it goes nuclear-hot within about 30 seconds of cranking up. I have black swept pipes, and I'm going to look into maybe having the pipe underneath the black heat shield wrapped with some insulating tape or something to tone it down near my leg. But yeah, my riding uniform will never be anything shorter than full-length jeans and tall boots! I think the Vics do run hot so I'd recommend that the wife just take open-toed shoes and shorts OUT of her riding uniform closet!

One other common complaint that you might experience is trying to put her in neutral when you're not rolling. I can't for the LIFE of me get it into neutral if I'm at a standstill, unless it's not running. Don told me that should get better with more mileage as well. An old-timer told me the trick is to pull in the clutch and rev the engine, then drop it in N. So far, it's worked for me every time. Wish I knew that before, coulda saved myself 4 mos. worth of clutch cramps...

SO yeah, there's some things that could be improved. But I think that bike is so unique and bada$$ looking, and we're like unicorns - most people have never seen a Vic! So I do get a lot of comments and questions. So hang in there, it will improve and all the good outweighs the few shortcomings it has.

Shiny side up!
~jennifer (gata)

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

xnuke1 said:
I do get mirror vibration with the flybars. It isn't completely blurred, but it certainly isn't totally still. I can still make out vehicles in the reflection, but obviously, you are looking behind you to change lanes anyway. I love the look of the Ness bars, they match the 8 Ball really really well.

But my next statement would bring upon me much ridicule and hazing if I were still in the Navy. I desperately need another 2 and a half inches! Of arm reach. If I don't get that from the seat, then I will have to go back to the original bars and use risers. I will then have a kick ass Ness Flybar in black for sale on the forum. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks for the Spencer recommend. I appreciate it.

Chris
Chris,
If your bars already bring the grips 2" back and your looking for another 2" you may be looking into a complete cable job also. Just something to keep in mind

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I realize that if I swap out the bars, then I will be looking at needing a new cable set. So I got a Mustang seat on there with driver backrest. I am going to a custom upholstery shop today to see if they can fabricate a thicker backrest for me. Which should do the trick.

Also checking out Memphis Shades for a shield. Any suggestions between the Fat and Slim models? And I assume the specs for '08 Pins is the same for the '09. Or am I way off base there?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.