VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume most of us got that email from Victory.

So I guess that means 2010 Kingpins, 8-Balls etc. are 10 grand.

Just amazing how cheap they are.

I bet folks are holding off wanting the 100k transmission and the 106 motors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
That ad is hugely misleading. As I understand it you would have to qualify for a number of discounts AND have a coupon from a demo ride to realize the total $5000 savings. Who knows what the real "sales" prices are, it's entirely up to your dealer whether they kick some of the rebates back to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Victory sends me three a week.I think i should have waited two more months.Im enjoying my 08 kingpin tour,but i could have had a newer modelwith better finance and less depreciation.I need to learn patience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,236 Posts

mjw930 said:
That ad is hugely misleading. As I understand it you would have to qualify for a number of discounts AND have a coupon from a demo ride to realize the total $5000 savings. Who knows what the real "sales" prices are, it's entirely up to your dealer whether they kick some of the rebates back to you.
Yes it is... The 5k off is on an 09 Vegas. It includes the militaryor the demo promotion of 1000 and the drop in msrp from 16299 to 14499 and 2200 in factory cash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am surprised though. In the recent past Victory would let the bikes collect dust on the floor. That is why they had so many 07-09 new models of just about everything laying around the country.

Looks like they are trying to put an end to that practice.

On the other end of that sword it slashes the used market in a big way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
satxron said:
I am surprised though. In the recent past Victory would let the bikes collect dust on the floor. That is why they had so many 07-09 new models of just about everything laying around the country.

Looks like they are trying to put an end to that practice.

On the other end of that sword it slashes the used market in a big way.
What used market? If the dealers are sitting on old inventory they couldn't move after almost 2 years of "closeout" pricing that pretty much indicates the market for those bikes is saturated. Victory's problem, up until the Vision and Cross bikes, is overpricing. Look at the street price on a 2 - 3 year old Jackpot or Hammer, less than 50% of the MSRP. The market sets the price and it's obvious the Vegas derived bikes, regardless the chrome and billet Victory puts on them from the factory are $12,000 - $13,000 bikes NEW, not the $15K - $19K the factory thinks they are worth.

I looked at Victory back in '99 and again in '05 and couldn't justify the price. I looked again in '08 when I bought my second V-Rod and it was hard to justify an $19,000 Hammer when I could get a VRSCAW (V-Rod w/240 tire) and ABS for $16K. It took the XC to make me a Victory owner because the bike provided the value I was looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,236 Posts

mjw930 said:
I looked at Victory back in '99 and again in '05 and couldn't justify the price. I looked again in '08 when I bought my second V-Rod and it was hard to justify an $19,000 Hammer when I could get a VRSCAW (V-Rod w/240 tire) and ABS for $16K. It took the XC to make me a Victory owner because the bike provided the value I was looking for.
...or an M109R for around 11k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,643 Posts
I paid a kings ransom for my Kingpin up here in Alberta . After the bells and wistles I put on it. I would do it agian as this thing is still growing on me !
My brother an HD rider askes about the trade value as his street glide is holding the price up well. I simply reply Would you like to take this thing for anouther ride bro , he grins and reaches for the keys.
Now if I worried every time I missed a great deal because I bought anouther I might never have been in a position to buy a bike in the first place.
I'll take my lumps and in the fall of 2011 I will line up and buy a new 2011 cross or anouther pin. Then a month or two latter there will be an upgrade and a price drop , thats simply the way the cookie crumbels.
I think I'll just have anouther beer .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are right. It slashes the throat of the owner of an older Vic when they try to sell it. There is no used market.

I am gonna look at 2011 and newer in a few years just keeping the one I have.

I really like that 100k transmission information. I just can't justify it with the huge depreciation my bike has taken. No telling what the new ones will be priced at in 5 years either.

For new buyers this should get Victory selling a ton more bikes if even a few of the rebates are real.

The value of a bike is the fun you have riding it. They all drop like rocks and are not investments in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts

Trade in? Resale?
These are factors that are only applicable if you plan on selling your bike, which begs the question, why buy something this expensive if you don't plan on keeping it for a long time?
I can assure you that resale on my bike will be ultimately low...it's either gonna be salvaged, run til the wheels fall off (so to speak), or held onto as a relic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts

I wanted to keep my 08 JP for a long time but then they came out with the cross roads so yeah I would take a beating on the JP and that wont work so I will keep it.
At least they are trying to sell bike anyway they can
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TheDude said:
Trade in? Resale?
These are factors that are only applicable if you plan on selling your bike, which begs the question, why buy something this expensive if you don't plan on keeping it for a long time?
I can assure you that resale on my bike will be ultimately low...it's either gonna be salvaged, run til the wheels fall off (so to speak), or held onto as a relic.
My bike is 5 years old, I don't mind buying another but not with that level of depreciation.

So, I take it your first bike and first car are still in the garage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts

poptop said:
I paid a kings ransom for my Kingpin up here in Alberta . After the bells and wistles I put on it. I would do it agian as this thing is still growing on me !
My brother an HD rider askes about the trade value as his street glide is holding the price up well. I simply reply Would you like to take this thing for anouther ride bro , he grins and reaches for the keys.
Now if I worried every time I missed a great deal because I bought anouther I might never have been in a position to buy a bike in the first place.
I'll take my lumps and in the fall of 2011 I will line up and buy a new 2011 cross or anouther pin. Then a month or two latter there will be an upgrade and a price drop , thats simply the way the cookie crumbels.
I think I'll just have anouther beer .
Yup 14500 for 2010 KP 8BAll........if I waited a couple months..could have had a 2011 with 106/6 and cams for ....14500
Sigh
But what a blast she's having with it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
the only safe thing for investments was homes and look where that went the last few years.

I've never lost more than 4k on a Victory sale to date. This does not include upgrades, just the purchase price. I'd shudder to think of the addon's.

I've also clocked better than 120,000 on the the first two Vics combined and have almost 11,000 on my 'new one'.

I ride for the fun of riding, yes when it's time to sell I want top buck.

I always find it funny though, people want top buck for their used and to pay bottom dollar for their new.

An aggressive marketing plan is great for Victory. My question is have we been getting screwed on the old bikes price wise or have they streamlined(overseas sourcing) to lower the prices that much??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,643 Posts
It would drive me to drink even more if I stopped and worried about that part! It's to scary to think about !
As its raining (agian) I think I'll go home and make a pot of Borcsh this aft and then I'LL have a beer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
satxron said:
TheDude said:
Trade in? Resale?
These are factors that are only applicable if you plan on selling your bike, which begs the question, why buy something this expensive if you don't plan on keeping it for a long time?
I can assure you that resale on my bike will be ultimately low...it's either gonna be salvaged, run til the wheels fall off (so to speak), or held onto as a relic.
My bike is 5 years old, I don't mind buying another but not with that level of depreciation.

So, I take it your first bike and first car are still in the garage?
First Car hit while parked on street, sold as salvage
Second Car in Storage, still runs and drives
Third Car, sold cause I ran the thing until it couldn't take anymore 240,000 tough miles
Fourth Car, had for 7 years and still going, 250000 miles, of which I claim 125000+
Fifth Car, still driving 3 years and almost 50,000 miles later.
First bike, purchased for 1200, ran it til it fell apart, sold for 600
Second bike, see above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good for you! You got to take advantage of the guy that paid big $ for that Vegas assuming you just got it. I may be mistaken, I assume you bought it used.

Some of us buy new bikes too. We understand they drop, we would just prefer they not drop like a rock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts

Oh for sure, and I will agree, it sucks to see the value drop, and yes I did buy mine used, and while continuing to shop for bikes and see what's out there, it is most definitely depressing to see even what comparative bikes are going for in comparison to what I paid for my bike used. It's especially depressing as a Victory owner, knowing first hand what a quality product they really are. For god's sake, I have a Vegas 8-ball, that's the bottom of the barrell so to speak when it comes to Vics...there isn't a cheaper Victory that I'm aware of, and if there is, I'm sure it's not by much, but park thatbase model bike in a row of high end Harleys and I can assure you which one is gonna get looks (It happens everytime we go on an organizedride.) And, it's got next to zero eye catching chrome on it.
So yeah, I feel your frustrations with trying to deal with depreciation, I'm just saying in my personal situation, my bike is worth more than what anyone would probably pay me for it.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top