VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm interested in the Kingpin, and I'm trying to decide between the 8-ball and the standard cruiser. I really like the look of the 8-ball, but was wondering about the lack of overdrive. My wife and I plan on some fairly long distance cruising, so I was wondering if the overdrive helps with highway cruising in comparison to the 5 speed tranny on the 8-ball.

Thanks in advance,

Stonebreaker

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
i cant speek for the other bikes , but on the vision, if your not planning on doing alot of over 70mph riding the overdrive is kinda useless. i found that cruising at 60 i popped it into 6th and it chugg a lugged. its much happier in 5th up to about 70. If the ratio's are anything like the Vision, then i think OD is not neccessary.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd have to disagree with the analogy. While riding mine I find that the bike quite happily chugs along in 6th gear. 2200 rpms is not much but when you consider where the torque curve is on this engine it all makes sense. Twist the throttle from here and there's plenty of giddyup. I think its just something people will have to get used to. These engines love the low end torque and run very happily there. Just think of the wear and tear on the engine by turning such low rpm's. 300 rpm doesn't sound like a lot of difference but just think, in one hour that equates to a measly 18,000 revolutions less than that of a 5 speed. Simply speaking, that means that every 60 miles of riding that crank turns 18000 revolutions less than a 5 spd. After 600 miles that turns to 180,000, 6,000 miles = 1,800,000 and 60,000 =18,000,000 less. Sounds like longevity if you ask me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was primarily interested in comfortable cruising. The speed limits on some roads in Texas are as high as 80 mph, so I was wondering if the 5-speed bike has more vibration than the 6-speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

gbc141b , you sound like those guys who argue about lugging and engine at a particular engine speed. "You're lugging if you are under 1500 rpm"..."no, you can take it down to 1200 rpm".
There is another part of the horsepower equation.
HP = Torque * rpm / some unit normalizing factor
You get part of it when you are talking about "plenty of giddyup" from a particular ground speed - engine speed combination, but you forget all about it when talking about longevity.
If you are asking for lots of torque at a relatively low engine speed (overdrive against 75mph wind), then each individual explosion in the chambers is going to be more powerful than if you were running higher rpm (5th gear, same speed).
One condition fatigues the engine parts faster through shock loading and vibration... the other condition runs the engine faster and wears surfaces.
Which one will win the race? That answer is left to the gods, as I'm sure the engineers don't have the data (being one myself, I know what they have to deal with) or math model to design for it. There are also about 8 million variables in the manufacturing process that no one can control. These factors make it a crap shoot.
To answer the question from the thread. I just sold my Road King (5 speed) to get a Vision. Other reasons aside, I found that when I got on the highway, I was constantly trying to shift into the nonexistant 6th gear. If you are going to be doing any highway riding, I highly recommend getting a 6 speed overdrive transmission.
TrailBarge

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trailbarge said:
To answer the question from the thread. I just sold my Road King (5 speed) to get a Vision. Other reasons aside, I found that when I got on the highway, I was constantly trying to shift into the nonexistant 6th gear. If you are going to be doing any highway riding, I highly recommend getting a 6 speed overdrive transmission.
TrailBarge
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of observation I was looking for.

On the other hand, I see that Victory is offering their 106 ci stroker kit for about the same price as the difference between the 8-ball and the regular Kingpin. If I throw on a set of stage 3 cams I'll add another 500 rpm to the power band.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
agreed I have the OD pulley on my 04 and at 80 I'm running around 3k and at 70 2700 or so. It feels reall good in those zones and Im a bit higher than the real 6 speed. However I also really like the 8 ball Pin, but if you're adding a passenger by the time you get all the passenger goodies and other stuff you'll be at the same price anyhow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Riding my 5 speed in the twisties. When its time to pass trafic I go down 1 gear and I'm gone. My buddies on 6 speeds can't rocket until they go down 2 gears. I always get around more trafic quicker.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

You can always down shift to 5th if in 6th. I've only had my KP for a short time and find myself in 6th quite often, I've also looked for another gear a few times on the Interstate...with my old bike (Honda 1100 5 speed), I always was watching for the ok to take off because the motor was reving so high.
A friend of mine with an 05 KP just had his redone to 100CI and added the overdrive pulley, he still down shifts to 4th when I down shift to 5th to get around vehicles.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Id opt for the six speed myself if I was you buy the sounds of things in the replys Ive just read. For myself since Im VERY HAPPY with my 03 Classic Cruiser and the balls its got I'll be installing an overdrive pully. As for the guys with 5 speeds that say they must drop a gear to get around traffic well Ive not riden another vic other than my own and I do not have to drop a gear to get around traffic. I twist the throttle and it has plenty off tourqe to get me around the traffic. The only time that I drop a gear is when Im cruisen with my bro's and they drop a gear to try and pull away from me. I laugh and let em get a head alittle then I'll drop a gear and its bye,bye bro's!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Aww I see. Well that makes perfect sence then. Id love to ride those twisties you ride. I'll bet you that the newer Vic's handle the corners much better than my old 03. The old girl does handle nice in the corners but the newer designs work much better in the corners Im sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.