VOG Forum banner

5,600 mile trip

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  TRUE-RKMC 
#1 ·
Left PA mid June to ride out to El Paso, Tx on my Gunner. Ended up being a 28 day 13 state excursion from home. Spent two extra weeks in TX than I had originally planned. Even made it into New Mexico and spent a few days riding around the mountains around white sands.

As you can see by the pictures I stuffed everything into a old issued pack I had laying around. While it was not my first choice I made it work, and it was actually a pretty comfy backrest. The little Dart (Marlin) windscreen was effective at keeping most of the wind off of me. The biggest aid to making the ride painless was the addition of the highway pegs to the Lindby bar. Those pegs are worth their weight in gold!

Somewhere in Arkansas...
View attachment 492035

Just outside of El Paso off I-10. Only spent a few days in town and it was retarded hot. Going to have to rethink any future travel plans out west during the summer on this particular interstate.
View attachment 492037

Finally got over to Houston to visit family there. Here is my dad on the bike,. He is reason I always wanted a motorcycle. When I was 3 or 4 he used to sit me on the gas tank of his Yamaha and take me on short rides around the block. One of these days I'll have to get him on another bike of his own so we can go ride.
View attachment 492039

See less See more
#11 ·
Glad you had a great time with minimal issues! Next time take a route through TN.
I went tear assin' thru Tennessee on the way down. While it is a wonderful ride in the rural parts along I-40 the three city's were a different story all together. Between those three towns I had no less than a dozen close calls that day. Just too many people driving like @$$holes with there heads down texting away.

Didn't feel like rolling those dice again.

Besides,. The 40/81 route home is old hat.

#12 ·
I went tear assin' thru Tennessee on the way down. While it is a wonderful ride in the rural parts along I-40 the three city's were a different story all together. Between those three towns I had no less than a dozen close calls that day. Just too many people driving like @$$holes with there heads down texting away.

Didn't feel like rolling those dice again.

Besides,. The 40/81 route home is old hat.
I should have specified. Next time give me a shout when you're in East TN lol. I hate I-40 with a passion. Driving in Knoxville is akin to self mutilation.

• Haha
Reactions: Flyboy and Cruzie27
#4 ·
Coming home was a little damp the first day,. But nothing horrible.
View attachment 492047

Day two had given me this awesome photo op. Of the "Gateway"
View attachment 492051

And at the end of day three I was glad to be home.
View attachment 492053

I did manage to not get any speeding tickets,.. did get a flat up front. That sucked, glad I had a repair kit with. Had a fresh oil change before I left and did a filter change in Houston @3k mikes.. the bike was flawless except for a foot peg came loose but some red loctite fixed that up easy.

#18 ·
:biggrin:
Coming home was a little damp the first day,. But nothing horrible.
View attachment 492047

Day two had given me this awesome photo op. Of the "Gateway"
View attachment 492051

And at the end of day three I was glad to be home.
View attachment 492053

I did manage to not get any speeding tickets,.. did get a flat up front. That sucked, glad I had a repair kit with. Had a fresh oil change before I left and did a filter change in Houston @3k mikes.. the bike was flawless except for a foot peg came loose but some red loctite fixed that up easy.
Thank God you have that pt belt around your ruck. Your never safe unless you have one of those with you.

Reactions: Cruzie27
#8 ·
Great picture of you and your Dad.

#10 ·
I was on I-70 about 40 miles west of the Indiana & Ohio line. There had been a few construction zones that channeled us into one lane down to 35-45 mph. Apparently the last one I hit / picked something up on the way thru.

Going thru the zone the bike quickly became unresponsive and did not want to turn. Right as the zone ended I pulled off to check it out. It felt like a 650lb gorilla was sitting on my handlebars and was dead set on me not turning the bars at all.

There was nothing in the front tire but it did have a clean puncture hole in it. Glad I was going "slow" at that point, most of the day I was on the wrong side of 80 (allegedly*) to have that go as well as it did.

As I mentioned in another thread the tire repair kit got me off the road safely and slowly down the back roads to a motel for the night.

Edit to add: No TPMS

#14 ·
I should have specified. Next time give me a shout when you're in East TN lol. I hate I-40 with a passion. Driving in Knoxville is akin to self mutilation.
No kidding brother!

I just may have to take you up on that before this season is over. I'm still eyein' up the Tail of the Dragon. Kinda pissed I didn't get there while I was so close.

#17 ·
Sorry I missed this one, Brother. Looked like fun. A few of my buddies made it down there. I was on the fence, but work got in the way.
Boise next year, Daytona in 2020. I'm planning on going to both. We'll be in the same place eventually.

The tubes/spoke wheels mean I carry two cans of fix-a-flat and pray for the best. I'm glad you got it sorted (the flat).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.