VOG Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have over 4000 miles and a few long days in the saddle, I'm re-evaluating the seat. I had raved about it and it's still good but after 3 hours it's all downhill. The problem seems to be the foam is too soft and you sink into the seat and get monkey ass. Too soft and too sweaty, needs stiffer foam and a different covering for longer trips.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
bikendad said:
Now that I have over 4000 miles and a few long days in the saddle, I'm re-evaluating the seat. I had raved about it and it's still good but after 3 hours it's all downhill. The problem seems to be the foam is too soft and you sink into the seat and get monkey ass. Too soft and too sweaty, needs stiffer foam and a different covering for longer trips.
Ya I think your right just didn't know it was called monkey ass .Firmer foam is the direction,but I'd like to keep the heating for colder / wet riding,wonder if that's possible

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

The problemmight not be the seat.
The firstfive days of my last road trip were very uncomfortable. I wasn't sure why. I hadn't had this problem before. I was hot, and had monkey butt issues.
The problems would start after about 3 to 4 hours of riding.
I tried making changes to the windshield and lowers to try to get more airflow but that didn't help.
On dayfive I noticed that the heat from the rear cylinder head seemed to be going into the gap between the seat and the frame.
I really didn't think thiswould bethe problem but I had to try something. I was going to be heading to the southwest and the temperatures would be going up.
I pulled the side cover and filled the gap with a towel.
Problem gone!! I could ride for up to 18 hours with temps in the low 100's with no problems. I rode the next 11 days with no issues.
I'm still working on a permanent fix.
Might be something to check.
The gap-

The quick fix. It saved the ride.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
not getting monkey butt, just a sore ass. 13hrs is about the limit for this cowboy.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I use the Alaska Leather sheepskin on my Cross Country and it is great. They also make sheepskins for the ridr backrest. On my trip from South FL up to Helen GA I was able to ride comfortably for hours. Stop, fill up get back on and go. I used the same size (large) on my Valkyrie before I sold

it and got the Vic.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the contructive comments! Sheepskin sounds like a good way to go along with checking to see if the XC has a hole/path for heat from that rear cylinder to the seat? I'm wondering which sheepskin would fit the rider and passenger seat?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Just measure the seat and go from there. I measured the vision seat and for me the min would be about 12x15" for just the butt area. For the legs and back a little , obviously a bit more. I looked on ebay and they start at about 20 bucks and go up !
let us know what you decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.