VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the forum to find any other thread on the subject but did not see anything. I am considering one of the 23" tall windshields for my Vision. If anyone has experience with one and can comment I would appreciate the input.

Issues, buffeting and a reflection of something on the bike with the 17.5 inch high stock windshield. I don't see any lip on the stock windshield but I definitely get some reflection right across the area that I end up looking through.

The other issue is the buffeting. I have several bikes with tall windshields and do not mind at all looking through them and greatly appreciate the noise reduction and the reduced buffeting.

I have also thought about a lower windshield with a lip but I have a short wife that often rides the bike and she might end up having to look through the lip.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
I like the stock height with a flip. 7Jurock is where I got one of mine.

I never look through the shield and like the flip because I can have it even lower than a stock one yet still get more wind protection.

I also have a shorter Ness Flip on one bike. It's nice but being shorter it is not as versatile. It's also tinted so looking through it is a terrible idea.

My wife is short too but she sits a few inches higher than me on a Vision. I've never really worried about her view but maybe that's because I never have the shield high enough to look through myself so there is no way she would be able to.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. It sounds like you are suggesting I try the lower screen with the flip. I will have to give it more thought but when I asked the wife if she ever finds herself looking over the windshield she said no. For her to look over it would have to be very low but I might still give it a try if I can find one. I suspect I could find a used lower one easier than a tall one. I have to believe that the flip has to be well below the line of sight or well above it other wise the distortion would be more than most would want to deal with. I am curious if anyone else noticed the reflection on the top of the windshield. I suspect it is from some of the chrome trim. I was thinking of painting everything black like the later model years. Anyone noticed this.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I have not noticed a reflection, but I also don’t have the chrome trim.

The nice thing about the Vision is the adjustable windshield. You’ll have to figure out what you think might work in your situation, but remember that even if you get a taller than stock shield (with or without the flip), you can always raise/lower it to your desired height.

I haven’t pulled trigger yet, but I do get a little turbulence with the stock shield. Thinking I will take the same route as VVB and get the stock height (17.5) with the flip and that should get me the inch or two of extra clearance I want.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
thanks for the reply. It sounds like you are suggesting I try the lower screen with the flip. I will have to give it more thought but when I asked the wife if she ever finds herself looking over the windshield she said no. For her to look over it would have to be very low but I might still give it a try if I can find one. I suspect I could find a used lower one easier than a tall one. I have to believe that the flip has to be well below the line of sight or well above it other wise the distortion would be more than most would want to deal with. I am curious if anyone else noticed the reflection on the top of the windshield. I suspect it is from some of the chrome trim. I was thinking of painting everything black like the later model years. Anyone noticed this.
Out of the two if I could only have one I would go with the clear, stock height, with flip.

However, if you are set on looking through the shield I would avoid the flip. While it was a change for me I don't even notice it now.... But I don't actually look through it. Looking through it I can not imagine being a good idea, unless you like it really high and you look through the shield under the flip. That would certainly block the wind and put you in a calm bubble. If you are open to trying something knew looking over the shield I think you'll find you love the flip like most that try it.

As for the reflection I don't know I've ever had one, on the shield. My 08 bars are chrome like yours and they can get me but only at certain times and not enough for me to even tell you I notice it. Maybe that is from looking through it and since I don't I never experienced it. Try lowering it and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get a reflection on the windshield of my '12. It seems to come mostly from that little shelf below the gauges. I "temporarily" fixed it on a trip with strip of duct tape. That temporary fix lasted 3+ years since it didn't come off until last summer. :) I think I'm going to put fake carbon fibre on it this coming winter. I just need to find the time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think blacking out some the shiny parts is the only way but we will see how the new windshield reflects. I did breakdown and order the new taller windshield today. I am assuming no one with a 23" windshield is going to chime in and tell me what mistake it was so I will take my chances and report back what I find. Sometimes you just have to compromise when you have two different people riding the bike from time to time. This time we are both going to have to settle for looking through it which neither of us mind. I might be able to look over it in the lowest position but she certainly will not. I will have to keep looking for a used one with the lip. I have a shorter windshield but it does not have the lip. Anyone what to buy it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my new 23 inch tall windshield last weekend and road it. I think it works great to reduce the buffeting and looking through it is not an issue. Very clear and very stable. You may not like the look of the taller shield but I have gotten used to it on my Venture and love the added coverage. I was actually thinking of adding side shields like the ones made by Memphis Shades. The reflection was not problem but that is probably dependent on the angle of the sun and the chrome trim on the dash. Blacking everything out like the 2012? is planned for the future. This was a good idea for me.

·
Registered
17,909 Posts
Out of the two if I could only have one I would go with the clear, stock height, with flip.

However, if you are set on looking through the shield I would avoid the flip. While it was a change for me I don't even notice it now.... But I don't actually look through it. Looking through it I can not imagine being a good idea, unless you like it really high and you look through the shield under the flip. That would certainly block the wind and put you in a calm bubble. If you are open to trying something knew looking over the shield I think you'll find you love the flip like most that try it.

As for the reflection I don't know I've ever had one, on the shield. My 08 bars are chrome like yours and they can get me but only at certain times and not enough for me to even tell you I notice it. Maybe that is from looking through it and since I don't I never experienced it. Try lowering it and see if it goes away.
:worthless:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Can You see over it when it is all the way down?

Thanks
I got my new 23 inch tall windshield last weekend and road it. I think it works great to reduce the buffeting and looking through it is not an issue. Very clear and very stable. You may not like the look of the taller shield but I have gotten used to it on my Venture and love the added coverage. I was actually thinking of adding side shields like the ones made by Memphis Shades. The reflection was not problem but that is probably dependent on the angle of the sun and the chrome trim on the dash. Blacking everything out like the 2012? is planned for the future. This was a good idea for me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No not really. When it is all the way down i can see over it if I am looking way ahead or up at the sky lol. If i sit up real tall it might be at eye level. I am 6’1” tall. The wife is 5’3” or 4” so she is not looking over much more than the dash. She is lucky if she can see the road 100’ ahead of her lol. She road around with much of the day and never realized it was all the way down. She finally put it up and said wow that’s much better. I had to laugh.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I ended up with a 23 inch lightly tinted windshield. I had the stock one and wasn't happy with it so I ordered the stock height with a flip from 7jurock and the buffeting was really bad. I don't know if my lowers effected the wind dynamics of the bike or if it was the angle of the dangle but I was prepared to put my stock shield back on.
I called 7jurock and they sent me a 23 inch shield overnight. (Great People there.) I am 5' 10" and sit on a Airhawk cushion and can see over the shield just fine. I prefer to look over the shield but will hide behind it if I need to and the 23 inch is perfect for me. On the highway it goes up and when I roll into town it comes down so I can get some air.
I might order a clear one next because I wear sun glasses and the combination of glasses and tinted screen make it hard to see sometimes.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I ended up with a 23 inch lightly tinted windshield. I had the stock one and wasn't happy with it so I ordered the stock height with a flip from 7jurock and the buffeting was really bad. I don't know if my lowers effected the wind dynamics of the bike or if it was the angle of the dangle but I was prepared to put my stock shield back on.
I called 7jurock and they sent me a 23 inch shield overnight. (Great People there.) I am 5' 10" and sit on a Airhawk cushion and can see over the shield just fine. I prefer to look over the shield but will hide behind it if I need to and the 23 inch is perfect for me. On the highway it goes up and when I roll into town it comes down so I can get some air.
I might order a clear one next because I wear sun glasses and the combination of glasses and tinted screen make it hard to see sometimes.
Being on the Shorter side at 5'7" and a Vision pilot. I did order the Shorter flip light tint and it was perfect for me. The only thing I don't like about after market wind shields is they don't have the lower part of the shield blacked out where you bolt to the bike. So you can see the dirt and moisture under the shields in the lower area. . On super hot days I realized I wanted something with a sportier look and a little more air in. I got it from Lithuania of all places. I will post some pics later.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
Reactions: firstvictory

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Tumbler holder. Holds a 30oz. I love that thing. Holds other bottles fine too.

Motor Moxie Stainless Steel Motorcycle Handlebar Cup Holder with 1" Ram Mount Ball Plate with Mounts (fits 30 oz Tumblers) Amazon.com: Motor Moxie Stainless Steel Motorcycle Handlebar Cup Holder with 1" Ram Mount Ball Plate with Mounts (fits 30 oz Tumblers): Automotive
Thanks @VicVisionBulldog .....that looks a lot better than the one I have and appreciate the amazon link. I will have mine on Thursday and it will come in handy with all this hot weather lately.

·
Super Moderator
26,093 Posts
Thanks @VicVisionBulldog .....that looks a lot better than the one I have and appreciate the amazon link. I will have mine on Thursday and it will come in handy with all this hot weather lately.
You'll enjoy it. It's really will built and I think worth the price. It with a tumbler with a magnetic sliding lid is a great combo.

Reactions: firstvictory
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.