VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hotels are already getting booked up. I just called our favorite motel over there and they're already sold out. It's only January and they're selling out over there.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hotels are already getting booked up. I just called our favorite motel over there and they're already sold out. It's only January and they're selling out over there.
Comfort Inn has rooms available and its right in front of the Festival Grounds. and they are not scalping the riders!

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I'll be there, Lord willing!

I usually do at least 2 rallies there.....really an excuse to tour the area. The rally itself is small....and I don't know if it's worth the entrance fee, but, life is short!

A quick ride to Cherokee....not too far from the Tail of the Dragon, and right off the Blue Ridge Parkway --- in fact, we rode the Blue Ridge all the way there last year.

Good times.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Make sure us locals know you're coming in please. There are other less traveled and challenging roads around these parts.

We ride in small groups ourselves.
Will do!
I live just off the Snake a couple hours north of you.
We haven't been down to the Cherahala skyway, yet.
I'd love to see some new roads around there.

We have favorite "secret" roads up here, too.

Love this section of the country.

Expecting a foot of snow tonight through Monday.....looking forward to getting back out on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Will do!
I live just off the Snake a couple hours north of you.
We haven't been down to the Cherahala skyway, yet.
I'd love to see some new roads around there.

We have favorite "secret" roads up here, too.

Love this section of the country.

Expecting a foot of snow tonight through Monday.....looking forward to getting back out on 2 wheels.
Seriously, a foot of snow, my gosh. No snow for me yet this winter and hope it stays that way. Weathergirl says this one coming will probably just miss us also. Kind of reminds me of the 2015 winter, I believe, in which the major storms hit south of us in TN and KY.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you in or near Southwest Virginny? We have been up on the back of the dragon and last year I rode solo up to Burke's Garden and I would go there again. Burke's Garden (look it up y'all) was on my bucket list. Come on down, glad to have you. There's an Amish store that sells really good sandwiches up in Burkes Garden and it's just plain beautiful to ride around inside the " bowl".

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then there's The Grand Canyon of the South. Look that up too. The Cherohala Skyway gets less attention than the Dragon does and is a lot more fun to ride. Too many Idjits on the Dragon in the summer. Cherohala is the $100 Million Dollar highway. Worth riding.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Seriously, a foot of snow, my gosh. No snow for me yet this winter and hope it stays that way. Weathergirl says this one coming will probably just miss us also. Kind of reminds me of the 2015 winter, I believe, in which the major storms hit south of us in TN and KY.
Well....
We got about half what they said.
Snowed for 48 hours, though, which kept the roads here impassible due to incompetent road maintenance.

Waiting for some sun to peek out so hopefully I can make it down my driveway, lol.
Snow Slope Tree Freezing Terrain

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Then there's The Grand Canyon of the South. Look that up too. The Cherohala Skyway gets less attention than the Dragon does and is a lot more fun to ride. Too many Idjits on the Dragon in the summer. Cherohala is the $100 Million Dollar highway. Worth riding.
The "grand canyon of the south".....Breaks Interstate Park.
It's "ok", but the area was pretty run down and the scenic areas all overgrown.

We had more fun exploring coal country not far away --- you just can't drink the water.

There is a TON of riding here in East TN/west NC.

Wife and I are headed to the Cherahala this spring. Love that area.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Are you in or near Southwest Virginny? We have been up on the back of the dragon and last year I rode solo up to Burke's Garden and I would go there again. Burke's Garden (look it up y'all) was on my bucket list. Come on down, glad to have you. There's an Amish store that sells really good sandwiches up in Burkes Garden and it's just plain beautiful to ride around inside the " bowl".
I know this is my THIRD post on this thread....lol...

But you are talking about one if my favorite destinations.
We live about 1.5 hours from Burke's Garden and rise there every summer.
We love the trip up there.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well....
We got about half what they said.
Snowed for 48 hours, though, which kept the roads here impassible due to incompetent road maintenance.

Waiting for some sun to peek out so hopefully I can make it down my driveway, lol.
View attachment 591179
Yikes. At least it does not last long for you Volunteers as a rule. This storm missed us again, thank God, just a few flurries on the western edge of it. My wife is wanting to see snow bad. I told her OK, if and when it hits you can shovel it and come back and tell me how much you like it. Yeah - right.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hail from coal country in Pike County, Kentucky and Highway 23 ( Country Music Highway ) is as smooth as a ribbon with long sweepers and it's where the Hatfield and McCoy feud took place. Hotels over priced but meth is cheap. Hillbilly Days in Pikeville once a year. There is good riding but I would advise staying in Prestonsburg Ky or Wise Va as a base of operations. Stay away from the Daniel Boone Motor Lodge in Pikeville. The restaurant choices are not very good.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I hail from coal country in Pike County, Kentucky and Highway 23 ( Country Music Highway ) is as smooth as a ribbon with long sweepers and it's where the Hatfield and McCoy feud took place. Hotels over priced but meth is cheap. Hillbilly Days in Pikeville once a year. There is good riding but I would advise staying in Prestonsburg Ky or Wise Va as a base of operations. Stay away from the Daniel Boone Motor Lodge in Pikeville. The restaurant choices are not very good.
This is one area I want to ride this year, I had to cancel 2 different times with the Valkyrie Riders on Memorial Day Weekend as too busy with my business. In 2020 the Expedition Bigfoot team came to that area, due to the proliferation of reports they had received. It was aired last winter first on Discovery +, but I watched in Feb. and March I think on the Travel Channel for free. I was impressed with the forest scenery.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.