2021 BMW R18 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2021 BMW R18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zenwave, Apr 10, 2020.

1. zenwave

zenwave Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '13 Vegas 8 Ball
  2. zenwave

zenwave Active Member

'13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Riding starts around the 8 minute mark...

3. 1 MEAN66

1 MEAN66 Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country 8 Ball
    Cycle World just did a review, where they road it. I believe the Rider one listed. Is simple based on info that they got from BMW. Have just read the Cycle world one: Big time vibrator, stay off the interstate with it, the seat is terrible, can't turn it, only gets 35 mpg so can only go 110 miles before stopping, ETC. But it's a BMW! look what they invented a CRUISER! they like the looks? Which to me never has anything to do with a road test, as everyone likes what they like, but not always what others like. I think it will flop!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mrmegadeth

mrmegadeth Active Member

2018 BMW K1600B
    It's a limited run model. They will sell all of them. I, personally, don't like it. I like my K bike better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Meh. Honestly I think it is OK looking. I would not be able to tolerate having those massive jugs right there in front of my legs. 25K? No thanks. Not worth it.

EDIT: I should say, not worth it to me. I think @mrmegadeth is correct, they will sell all they build if this is in fact a limited run. I have not seen one in person yet but from what I am hearing and reading the build quality is top flight. Quality materials as well. So not an outrageous price given that. And I am quite sure it will perform well. The one that had the Apes and the alloy wheels got the best reaction from me. I am also not a fan of the exhaust, but that can be changed. They already have a Vance & Hines solution that looks real nice.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Bump... :biggrin:

7. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Is it cool AF? Yes, most certainly. But that doesn’t mean I want one. I think it’s great BMW had the balls to build it, and if kept as a limited production model I’m sure the type of guys that can afford to own a bunch of bikes will own one and even ride it from time to time. So I appreciate it, but I don’t want it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I was anxious to see this R18 at my local BMW dealer. The attention to detail and the aesthetics are perfect IMHO. But actually riding one seems to be an exercise in frustration if you want to lean or want to be comfortable. A couple BMW dealers told me the R18 Cruiser is the first R18 in a lineup that will grow to about 5 bikes. Time will tell. Like others, I’m glad BMW built this.

Though I wish it was a Moto Guzzi 1800 instead of BMW. Sadly, Guzzi seems to have lost interest in their 1400 line and will concentrate on their 850 line. I’m very interested to see if Moto Guzzi has any big block models in their 2021 Centennial line up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1 MEAN66

1 MEAN66 Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country 8 Ball
    Have read three reviews so far, NOBODY impressed YET. Most had undertones of ICH!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Victory Cross Country Tour
    Just like Victory, Buell, Excelsior etc there are true BMW diehards that live and breathe these bikes.

I like the styling, it's true to the original designs with a modern flare.

Do I want one, no. Already have a vintage BMW that I can barely afford.

But like most things, the buzz behind the bike gets people to pay attention to the brand again. It's publicity that you can't buy.

Much like the Vision, you love or hate it, but it certainly got them attention when they released it

• Like Like x 3
  11. JudgeRedd

JudgeRedd Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Judge (RIP)
    Like someone said- the jugs are like right there. Looks close enough to melt your boots! I dunno about you- but I have a US size 13-14 foot. Vickie is already kind of primitive. Probably would not want to have another (expensive) heavy cruiser with few comfort features. Vickie was better than $10K less...

The little sister 1250 is obviously smaller, but positioned much further forward. I suspect it will run circles around it from a handling perspective.

BMW has now addressed the R1250RT 's serious material shortcomings (in my mind) for MY 2021- I must say it's in my top 3 for a second bike.. I will need to decide if I can or want to deal with the over-engineering.. idiot lights and what not.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Is it just me or wouldn’t it do LOTS of damage to the engine if it fell on its side & even more damage if it slide dwn the road on its side? Seems like you’d b busting ur shins on them too

13. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I watched a bunch of YouTube reviews of the original R18 as well as the R18 Classic the other night. Most of the reviews were quite good. Apparently the R18 Touring version will be released later this year as a 2022 model. I suspect this will be a very popular line for BMW.

14. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    If you put the engine guards on then probably no. Without you probably scrape up the valve cover. The cylinders look huge on this, but the layout really isn’t any more limiting than any other BMW boxer, or the K line, or a Goldwing, or a Guzzi...this is really no different than bikes BMW has been making for 80 years, just bigger jugs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. VvJoel

VvJoel Active Member

Victory vision
    Limited like the vic. Then you can't get parts after a few years. What kind of oil does it run on? Lol

• Funny Funny x 1