2020 Zero SR/F | First Ride | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2020 Zero SR/F | First Ride

Discussion in 'Garage' started by crosscountryla, May 31, 2019.

1. crosscountryla

crosscountryla Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 cross country tour
    I'd have to ride about 9 hours one way just to test ride an SR/F

2. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour

3. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour

4. ForestGiant

ForestGiant Well-Known Member

2014 Victory Cross Country, 97 Honda Valkyrie, 99 Honda Magna
    When Is someone going to build a electric cross country style bike at my age I could actually ride?

5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Would not surprise me to see it in another couple years. Some of the hurdles currently are if you go from a 400 lb sport bike to an 800 lb touring bike you’re going to need a lot more battery to maintain modest range, and a whole lot more battery than that to establish a decent range for touring. Up until right about now the batteries have been a very expensive part of an electric vehicle. So you had 75-100k dollar Tesla’s and 20-40k dollar sport bikes. Double the sport bikes batteries on an 800 lb motorcycle and you’re talking about a 40-60k dollar motorcycle with a 150 mile range and a long recharge. Not going to work.

However...battery production has increased in scale to bring down prices already. Hence the 35k dollar Tesla’s and the 15k dollar Zeros. As soon as battery tech can hold more electricity and recharge faster the electric touring bike becomes viable. And that battery has already been developed. Getting it into production and brought to market...probably a couple years. Read all about it:
    New discovery makes fast-charging, better performing lithium-ion batteries possible: Materials could boost battery performance in consumer electronics, electric vehicles, and more

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour
    Informative ZERO video

7. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    This new bike looks OK. Finally. Still not the least bit interested. When I can take an electric that has decent wind protection 200 miles, carry my stuff and refuel... err... recharge in 10 minutes I'll be interested. But I understand that there are many that don't have those mission requirements and might just be happy with what this bike will give them. To that I say... It's your money, go spend it as you please. Constant range anxiety is something I can live without.

8. Ghostrider25

In other electric Moto news... The first Moto E World Cup Race took place over the weekend at the legendary Sachsenring at the HJC HELMETS MOTORRAD GRAND PRIX DEUTSCHLAND. I was hopeful for at least a decent race, but it turned out to be kind of a joke. A 7 lap race didn't even go the distance, they went 5. Lorenzo Savadory crashed, the bike slammed into the air fencing, caught fire and destroyed that section of air fence, thus causing the race to be stopped. Top speed wasn't even in the Moto 3 Class range!

I'm sorry but they are going to have to do better than that. And they probably will. Gotta start somewhere I guess. It actually made me appreciate the GP bikes even more.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  9. Ghostrider25

There are a lot of people wondering the same thing! I don't think we will see anything like that for a long time. I think it might happen though. Energy and energy management are the limitations it seems. The Motors have improved dramatically and I am sure they will advance even more. They will have to address the price point issue though.

10. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I frequent some science and tech sites, kinda like the modern online equivalent of reading Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazines. I can say there is a LOT going on in the battery tech field. I’ve probably read a dozen different articles on enhancements developed for Li battery tech. A Chinese company has announced they’ve developed manufacturing techniques to cut costs by over half, which could be big news. Tesla bought Maxwell Technologies, a company that R&D’s batteries. Which is kind of weird because Tesla does that too...apparently Maxwell already has something Tesla wants. Lots of other articles about how some lab developed some chemical coating process for the electrodes that allows for all sorts of improvements to things like density, safety, recharge times, increasing recharge cycles, etc.

So we could see double the range, half the recharge time in the very near future. The real issue doesn’t seem to be developing the technology, it seems to be developing the manufacturing processes AND capabilities to bring them to market, at scales that make them price competitive. It’s one thing to build a better battery in a lab. Can you make a million of them a year at a lower cost?

But IMO the even more exciting news is in the development of solid state batteries. These are showing 7-10 times the density of Li batteries, 10-20 minute recharge cycles, and they’re non flammable. So with what’s on the market today, a nice power electric motor is about the size of a bagger’s transmission. Remove the V-twin and the 6 gallon gas tank, use that space for batteries and you basically have this Zero but in a bagger. The weight would drag down your range to probably something like 30-50 miles. Pretty useless right? But 7-10 times that and you have a range of min 210 miles, max 500 miles, recharge in 10-20 minutes...game changer right?

Toyota has announced it will introduce a car in 2020 powered by a solid state battery. That’s exciting, but also kind of elusive. They did not specify wether it would be a production model, or not. If it is, very exciting! But even if it’s just a concept or prototype it will be interesting to see the development. A company the size of Toyota would have the resources to scale up a new manufacturing process.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour

12. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Here’s an interesting article on an already patented technology. Cheaper, lighter, safer. 3X the range 15 minute recharge. ETA arrival in consumer electronics is next year. Vehicles 2022-2024. If accurate this means in 2-4 years we could see an electric motorcycle with a 300-400 mile range that recharges in 15 minutes and costs less than a conventional version with an ICE engine:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-...battery-tech-that-extends-range-to-700-miles/

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour
  14. crosscountryla

2014 cross country tour
    This video gives you an idea of how fast this eclectic bike can accelerate from a stop.

15. Ghostrider25

I think the SRF is a very viable machine. I even hear they are coming out with a faired model. That would get my attention perhaps. But it's not there yet for me. I would still ride my GSX over this. As raw as it is! I guess that is why I love that bike, because it is so unrefined! I guess I'm just too set in my ways.