VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
No thanks, I'll do my own shifting, braking, thinking......

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I would give it a ride.

·
Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
6,677 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm sure it's a great bike for some but part of the fun of riding for me is doing the shifting, controlling the braking and doing the other things that make you feeling like you're one with the bike.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I was just watching "The Amazing Race" on TV. It's amazing how many people can't drive a stick. Might not be for you or me but may be just the ticket for a whole new market of riders. Remember a few threads lately about getting younger generations riding, well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was just watching "The Amazing Race" on TV. It's amazing how many people can't drive a stick. Might not be for you or me but may be just the ticket for a whole new market of riders. Remember a few threads lately about getting younger generations riding, well.
Even uncoordinated people will be able to ride :shifty:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure it's a great bike for some but part of the fun of riding for me is doing the shifting, controlling the braking and doing the other things that make you feeling like you're one with the bike.
A foot shifter is an option on the automatic, 2018 Goldwing, but you don't have a clutch to up shift and down shift with. This is great for people that have arthritis in their hands. Even without the optional foot shifter you can still wind the gears out as far you want to, and up and down too when you select paddle shift mode. You also have a hand and foot brake on the automatic Goldwing.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I can see where it will be a popular option, but it isn’t for me. I’ve ridden the Can Am Spyder with paddle shift. Both the Spyder and the DCT Goldwing are trying really hard to turn motorcycles into two (or three) wheeled cars. Even if it shifts better than I can, I would still want a manual trans. Same with sports cars. Technology has come a long way. The automatics are faster than manuals these days, but it still takes away from the driving, or riding experience to me. To each their own tho.

• Winner
Reactions: Trout

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I can see where it will be a popular option, but it isn't for me. I've ridden the Can Am Spyder with paddle shift. Both the Spyder and the DCT Goldwing are trying really hard to turn motorcycles into two (or three) wheeled cars. Even if it shifts better than I can, I would still want a manual trans. Same with sports cars. Technology has come a long way. The automatics are faster than manuals these days, but it still takes away from the driving, or riding experience to me. To each their own tho.
The simpler the better. I can't get my wife to drive a CAR with an auto trans. We recently went looking for a new vehicle for her. She wants a small SUV or crossover type vehicle. "That's not bad, but can I get one with a 5 or 6 speed?". Sadly, in most cases that's a no. "Why can't I get a 5-speed with reverse under 5th?!?!?! Why??? WHY????". The reason is no one else wants that. What people want is easy, simple, mindless, and lots of gadgets to play with instead of concentrating on DRIVING THE CAR.

Puss says, "I'll keep what I have. Great visibility out of it, it's roomy, and there's no bull**** on it. 36 mpg, XM radio, and 3 pedals on the floor!"

View attachment 487849

View attachment 487857

It's actually fun to drive.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
The trend in bikes now is tech. Nanny stuff so you are protected (mostly from yourself). Traction control, wheelie control, launch control, ABS, and several 'driving modes'.

I still don't understand driving modes. "I put it in sport mode!". Yeah? Well whooptie f**kin' do! Mine has one mode called "KILL". If you are not preying on other vehicles, keep your hand out of the throttle body. I can pull the front wheel up, spin the rear tire, lock the brakes... CAN YOU IMAGINE?

F**k a 5500 rpm rev limit and a speed governor. F**k closed loop FI. F**k ABS, traction control, and driving modes. F**k an infotainment center.

Dude, do you even MOTORCYCLE? Hey, you want entertainment? Roll into that loud handle once... you won't be bored.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
The trend in bikes now is tech. Nanny stuff so you are protected (mostly from yourself). Traction control, wheelie control, launch control, ABS, and several 'driving modes'.

I still don't understand driving modes. "I put it in sport mode!". Yeah? Well whooptie f**kin' do! Mine has one mode called "KILL". If you are not preying on other vehicles, keep your hand out of the throttle body. I can pull the front wheel up, spin the rear tire, lock the brakes... CAN YOU IMAGINE?

F**k a 5500 rpm rev limit and a speed governor. F**k closed loop FI. F**k ABS, traction control, and driving modes. F**k an infotainment center.

Dude, do you even MOTORCYCLE? Hey, you want entertainment? Roll into that loud handle once... you won't be bored.
The reasons behind Grumpy Old Man syndrome

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been watching the Goldwing forum for a month. It seems a vast majority of DCT buyers started their new bike purchase with," I'll do my own shifting, I need to be able to feather the clutch and it is not a true motorcycle with a foot shifter." They took a curiosity road test and the bike was then parked in their garage...….

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I have been watching the Goldwing forum for a month. It seems a vast majority of DCT buyers started their new bike purchase with," I'll do my own shifting, I need to be able to feather the clutch and it is not a true motorcycle with a foot shifter." They took a curiosity road test and the bike was then parked in their garage...….
Have you been hearing about any major issues with the the new wing? Front fork travel?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Dude, no comparison really.

Yeah I know people who are in a constant state of "pi$$ed" but that doesn't apply to those of us who like & appreciate where the "less is more" is concerned especially in vehicles, especially in bikes.

Take notice that we always say "each to there own just not for me" while others try their best to convince us that we really should want a garbage wagon.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.