2017 Vegas stalls when put in gear. Won't roll with clutch disengaged in first gear | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

2017 Vegas stalls when put in gear. Won't roll with clutch disengaged in first gear

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by johnnykaka, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:57 PM.

1. johnnykaka

johnnykaka New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2017 8 Ball
    Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2017 Vegas. Gorgeous bike. Love it, However, I am now very concerned about something that happened when I went to pick it up. Bike started up fine, I hopped on and went to pop it into first. When I clunked the shifter down, the bike immediately lunged, locked up and stalled. Tried again, same thing. Seller said something about it could be a kickstand issue, and he tried to throw it into first as well and it did the same thing. after a few tries and me crapping myself, 1st gear engaged and it rolled away beautifully. that should never happen again, says the dealer.... right.
    Now, if it's a kicksatnd safety, no big deal, that can be fixed or simply disabled. The big concern for me is that when the clutch lever was pulled in, it would not roll. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. Repeat. the bike should never lock up when the clutch lever is pulled in. I was tripping out with fear the whole way home. I did some digging and found that there have been issues in the past with Vics locking up while shifting, particularly downshifting. Wish I saw those threads before throwing good money at a used Vic. I did a good amount of research and found nothing but good things about them. Low maintenence, great power, etc... I planned to get this bike and ride it until one of us dies.

I have owned many bikes. But never a fuel injected MC. All carb bikes. I knew there would be a big learning curve but I was not expecting problems right away. I've never had too much fear at bike issues, it can all be sorted out with patience. But as I said. The bike should never, ever seize up with the clutch lever pulled. what do I do here? It has not done it again but I am scared every time I get on it now. I know the bike sat for a while. But beyond being 3 years old, it was barely ridden. It hasn't been broken in yet. It should have zero issues. again, not familiar with fuel injection at all. A bit over my head at the moment. I do plan to learn quickly but for now, I keep coming back to the fact that NO BIKE SHOULD EVER lock when the clutch lever is pulled. I need to know this isn't going to happen at high speeds, or really, ever. Otherwise I'm riding a 700 lb timebomb. Can anyone help me?
    Thanks everyone

2. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Sounds like you need to adjust the clutch cable. Many threads on here about it. I can’t help because I have a hydraulic clutch on the Vision.

these are great bikes.

also, do you know what oil is in it? When was it last changed? Our Vics are sensitive to the type. Must be compatible with our wet clutches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. normthenomad

normthenomad Active Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    If the bike sat for years the plates on the clutch were probably stuck together. They may or may not free up as they should. md2420 is right the clutches are very sensitive to the type oil that's used.[Oh please no oil thread on this].
    Acquaintance of mine put some stabilizer in his oil, cost him a clutch pack and a case of beer for me to sit in a lawn chair and walk him through R&R clutch on a Vic. I use Alto clutches, they've been in business for 50 years, good customer service, good quality. Better than Barnett, Barnett doesn't seem to have the quality control or customer service that they used to.
    Incidentally when I installed one in mine I threw the judder plate away and just put in an extra plate. Sportster guys refer to them as "The grenade plate" for a reason. This is really a minor issue, once you get it dialed in it's something you'll never be bothered with again.
    Been riding for 57 years and Victory is the motorcycle I always wanted.
    Good luck and welcome to the insane and informative VOG forum.
    P.S.
    Get a service manual as soon as you can.
    Ride fast and take chances!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 4:56 PM
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. johnnykaka

johnnykaka New Member

2017 8 Ball
    As far as I know, the oil is probably old. The bike is practically brand new at less than 500 mi. Dealers have cared for the battery and it looks fantastic but I am guessing it sat for a good while. All I know is that there's oil in it! I was thinking about using Rotella T-6. Used that for years in my Bonneville and it looks compatible with the Vic as well. I've heard from a decent number of Vic owners that swear by it. Amsoil is also great stuff imo. Oil change will be the first thing I do with it this week.
    Thanks for the info guys! I do intend to ride it FAST and take chances!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    +1 on the clutch free play adjustment

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    20/40 semi-syn JASO MA/2 wet clutch compatible. Like stock Vic oil or Spectro. T6 is full synthetic, so not a good choice in my opinion.

plenty of “O” threads here. Do your research. Vics are a different animal and you can’t just go by “well, I’ve always ran X in all my vehicles”. That’s the wrong way to think about it.

less than 500 miles? Dump that oil and initial engine lube ASAP! What year bike is it? How long did it sit?

edit: so I see it’s a 2017 model....so it’s been sitting for at least 3 years. Yup, dump the oil, refill with a proper oil formulated for Victory’s, adjust the cable free play and keep your fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. johnnykaka

johnnykaka New Member

2017 8 Ball
    T6 is JASO MA/2 certified. I've heard from a lot of Vegas owners using it. I've had good results in the past with Amsoil. The vic oil is still available for 60 per kit. I'm going to start with that, although it'll take a week to arrive. I'm always wary of bike specific oils, Not saying they're not good, it just seems a bit scammy to me. I ran AMsoil for years until I discovered the T6 and it has been great. I will give the edge to Amsoil. With the amount I ride though, it is nice to have a break on oil prices. Stuff gets expensive! Not sure how long it sat exactly but I;m sure it's been longer than a year. Looks-wise it is a showroom bike though, pretty stunning beast!

8. jedi-mcfly

jedi-mcfly Well-Known Member

2005 kingpin
    ..you better post a pic or two, so we can be the judge of that :0)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 13SicVic

13SicVic Well-Known Member

2013 Victory Cross Country
    Been running T6 for a couple years with no issues. I change it at 5K .

10. normthenomad

normthenomad Active Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Just can't bring myself to run an air cooled engine 5k between oil changes. I'm old, on a fixed income but still change the oil at 2500.
    Oil is still much cheaper than engine repairs. I'd tell you what oil I use , but then I'd have to kill ya!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1