VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, I am looking at buying a 2016 Vegas, I was just wondering pros and cons to this bike. I will using it for short trips and around town. Any input would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
See my signature...I love mine! Only cons I had was seat and drivers pegs,,,Mustang seat and floorboards plus the MRA windshield I'm a happy rider :devil3:

Reactions: waterhog

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Pro’s: It’s one kickass bike that will easily go for 100k miles or more, likely a lot more. You’ll be hard pressed to find more bike for less money anywhere else.
Con’s: Victory is a dead brand. Do you like to tinker, make changes, experiment with new parts, accessories, and mods? Those days are coming to an end. The Vegas family of models had an excellent run from 2003-2017 so currently parts and accessories are still pretty easy to find. But Polaris will dry f*ck you backwards for a dime. Don’t count on them for anything. Double down on this in a few years when they shut down Indian too. Some aftermarket suppliers are still in the game, others like Ness and Kuryaken have already ditched Victory. Today I would look at a Victory purchase as WYSIWYG. Yes you will get years and years of a great motorcycle. If you wish to make changes to it 3 or 4 years from now you will probably be disappointed or at least have to work very hard if you’re trying to source an accessory.

• Winner
Reactions: CPT PYRO

·
Registered
724 Posts
New to the forum, I am looking at buying a 2016 Vegas, I was just wondering pros and cons to this bike. I will using it for short trips and around town. Any input would be appreciated
I've had mine for 4-5 months. Best all round cruiser ever made.

One minor con: seat is a bit mushy. Since you're not making long trips, it should be alright.

Three tangential items to keep in mind:
1. You should be able to get out the door price in the $9-10K range. Unless demand has driven prices up very recently. Obviously depends on where you live etc.
2. Polaris factory warranty is 2-years. Some dealers may give you a run-around and claim it's only 1. User manual says so, and if they still resist, call Polaris and they'll confirm.
3. Passenger mount (w/ pegs) is not easy to come by. The going rate on ebay is around $450 new.
4. Passenger seat is easier to come by, but not easy. Ebay and VOG are your friends.

Good luck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been riding my 03 Vegas since I bought it new. Currently 70K on it missing 2 riding seasons due to military and accident... no issues what so ever. 1 Starter, 2 sets of fork seals (2nd set this winter) change oil, tires and brakes. If you're riding around town and go out for a nice day ride IMHO be it ever so humble.... best bike in it's class. There is a reason Polarass never dropped the model.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I have had my V8Ball for just over a year and would recommend a Vegas to anyone that is looking for a great bike to blast around town, I really like the bike. For those that like to do over 200 miles in a day, not so much..............

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Seat if fixable. Since the Vegas is 'almost' a Kingpin.. get a better seat, put some roll bars on it, floorboards and highway pegs and a backrest..and you'll run out of road before you run out of ride.

I know this because my wife has an 08 Vegas and she never complained about puttin down a 500 mile day.. stopping to set up camp and THEN go for a ride for fun. :)

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
As mentioned the Vegas is a great bike. I'll commute 90 miles a day, go out riding for a day for 3-600 miles without a care in the world until the gas light comes on.

Burn the OEM Dunlops off and through them away ASAP. Unless you have 400lbs sitting on the rear tire you can't hardly use the rear brake.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't have much to add but to agree with the previous posters. The Vegas is a great cruiser. Mine is an '09. I don't mind the feel of the seat but I might get it upholstered just for cosmetic purposes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a '16 Vegas bought new. It is not the perfect motorcycle as there's no such thing. However, for me it is perfect as it has plenty of power, is comfortable and the fit and finish is excellent considering mass production.
With my travel bag attached to the backrest I can lean back and cruise as long as I want to. I did a couple of 500 mile days on it with the stock seat and I didn't have any problems. I'm 6 '@ 180 lbs.
Victory made a darn good bike.The parts will be around so don't let that be a future concern. For an older Harley one may have to make 2 calls and wait a week for the part, yet for the Victory 4 calls and wait a month so to speak. But ridden in a sane normal manner that Vegas should give excellent service given maintenance.
Buying used? Hopefully not abused as in the span of 100 feet anything can be torn up. Buying new? Remember those alluring low prices won't include tax and all the other fees but that's with any new vehicle.
If you like that Vegas, go buy it and go down the road with a smile on your face.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I guess it's all up to the ass in the saddle. I watched a guy roll in from a 300+ mile trip on a newly built shovel that he literally took a metal tractor seat and welded it to fit on the bike.. no padding at all, unpolished bare metal. Personally I think I'd need traction after that but he hopped right back on and went for a bar hop w/in 30 min of getting off it. I know when I was younger I did several 1000 mile rides iron butt style on bikes that had a flat seat and prob about 1" of foam in 'em. Comfort is relative.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I would disagree with that. many 200 plus days on mine
I guess it's all up to the ass in the saddle. I watched a guy roll in from a 300+ mile trip on a newly built shovel that he literally took a metal tractor seat and welded it to fit on the bike.. no padding at all, unpolished bare metal. Personally I think I'd need traction after that but he hopped right back on and went for a bar hop w/in 30 min of getting off it. I know when I was younger I did several 1000 mile rides iron butt style on bikes that had a flat seat and prob about 1" of foam in 'em. Comfort is relative.
You guys have a point. I did a 240 mile ride up to Daytona and then back the next day in foul weather that really tired out my old ass. Rained on 7 times and crosswinds that made me lean to keep going straight on the way up and then just rain on the way back. I have always been anti pussy protector, but have recently got a MRA Vario and am thinking this wind protection will help quite a bit. Have an upgraded seat with backrest and am also going to get an airhawk for longer rides so I don't need so much cheese with my whine............

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
You guys have a point. I did a 240 mile ride up to Daytona and then back the next day in foul weather that really tired out my old ass. Rained on 7 times and crosswinds that made me lean to keep going straight on the way up and then just rain on the way back. I have always been anti pussy protector, but have recently got a MRA Vario and am thinking this wind protection will help quite a bit. Have an upgraded seat with backrest and am also going to get an airhawk for longer rides so I don't need so much cheese with my whine............
Suggestion: FLOORBOARDS....I also have MRA Vario and a mustang solo seat....bring it on, where do you want to go:devil3:

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Dean, I am also an anti floorboards weasel. I have been riding 50 years but the vast majority ( all but the last 15 years) have been on motocross bikes and crotch rockets. I get the comfort issue as I have rented quite a few bikes with floorboards on trips but for me, they change the way I control a bike...it is an old dog new tricks thing....

If we get a chance to do a ride when you come down, would like to take you through Everglades National Park if you haven't been there before; on the way down to rip through the keys..............get out of that tundra up there for a bit. Hopefully we will have some warmer weather for you than lately. Was 43 yesterday morning and below 50 again this morning. Had to buy some real gloves and wear the leather jacket waaaahhhh waaaaahhhh............:FIREdevil:

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Dean, I am also an anti floorboards weasel. I have been riding 50 years but the vast majority ( all but the last 15 years) have been on motocross bikes and crotch rockets. I get the comfort issue as I have rented quite a few bikes with floorboards on trips but for me, they change the way I control a bike...it is an old dog new tricks thing....

If we get a chance to do a ride when you come down, would like to take you through Everglades National Park if you haven't been there before; on the way down to rip through the keys..............get out of that tundra up there for a bit. Hopefully we will have some warmer weather for you than lately. Was 43 yesterday morning and below 50 again this morning. Had to buy some real gloves and wear the leather jacket waaaahhhh waaaaahhhh............:FIREdevil:
You missed the statement I don't play golf in long pants because to cold:badgrin:

I ALWAYS wear gloves, fingerless with gel palms. Seems to help numbness in left arm from pinched nerve. I'll do leather jacket so as to be comfortable....usually when sun goes down. Not a sissy, there's more good days then not, might as well relax when bad. (catch up on honey-do's):icon_thumleft:
Love to meet you and ride while down there. IF my buddy doesn't want me to trailer his bike down to, then he'll fly down for a few days of riding and then back home, can't go as long as we are...I'm going to bring both my bikes. Will ride VEGAS when wife wants a day relaxing in motel. Won't be many, she loves riding...as passenger. Hope my buddy that lives in Lakeland can join us so you 2 can meet, he needs riding companions.(prolly cuz he works to much)
I'll let you know dates, just cancelled first week because having back problems, have MRI this afternoon, hope they can fix the pain I've been having the last 2 weeks. :cus:

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having back problems and hope you get relief soon. Looking forward to seeing you if your back gets better.

I always wear fingerless padded palm gloves too....but they are not effective when it is cold and you are doing 60+....that is why I had to buy some real gloves. Chaps my hide because I know I will not be able to find them next time it is cold enough to use them....but hey when I got to the office yesterday my fingers were so frozen I was unable to pick my nose for 40 minutes...can't be having that!

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having back problems and hope you get relief soon. Looking forward to seeing you if your back gets better.

I always wear fingerless padded palm gloves too....but they are not effective when it is cold and you are doing 60+....that is why I had to buy some real gloves. Chaps my hide because I know I will not be able to find them next time it is cold enough to use them....but hey when I got to the office yesterday my fingers were so frozen I was unable to pick my nose for 40 minutes...can't be having that!
Saw this once...guy put finger in one nostril and blew out the other....bet that obstruction went 10 FEET :22yikes::badgrin:

• Haha
Reactions: firstvictory

·
Registered
397 Posts
That is what I use my Vegas 8 Ball for. The Vegas is a great bike, plenty of power, durable and the best looking cruiser out of the box ever made(IMHO).

The only con is the stock seat which I found to be not horrible but not the best for a 200 mile day ride or a three to five day trip. I fixed this problem with a Corbin dual tour seat and a backrest. This seat has a higher back support area which made short rides around town very comfortable and day trips much better. I recently purchased the Corbin backrest for this seat which has made day rides and multi day trips perfectly comfortable for my old back. The backrest is easily removeable without removing the seat. The backrest can be adjusted forward and back along with tilt angle for personal comfort. It I can be pushed froward nearly flat with your leg to make it easier to get on the seat and springs back into position once in the seat. it can be moved to the passenger position if needed but will not fold down in this location. By far the best looking two up seat for a Vegas in my opinion. For multi day trips I just bungie a backpack with my needs in the passenger section. I purchased bungie buttons which replace the bolts in the seat rails to attach the bungies to when I travel with the back pack. Very neat and works for me.

Enjoy your Vegas!

Reactions: CPT PYRO
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.