VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k. need help and/or advice. I purchased a fairly new/used 2016 Vegas 8-Ball. Got it last week. Original owner bought in June of this year and put 475 miles on it. First thing I did was change the oil with the Victory oil change kit. Took it around the block after the oil change (1st ride on it) and it seemed fine. Only went about a mile.

Nice night, so I decided to go around our small town to get used to the bike. A few notes...
  1. Hate the shift indicator on the speedometer. Why the frick would you display "-----" when the clutch lever is pulled in?
  2. This thing shift hard. I thought my HD was loud when dropping into first. This thing clunks in all gears. Is this normal?
  3. When downshifting, the bike likes to drop right into neutral. Is this normal?
  4. Most disconcerting was pulling up to a stop sign in 1st, with the clutch lever pulled all the way in....the bike just died. I popped it back into neutral and it started again, but man that didn't feel right on a bike with < 500 miles.
Did I buy a bucket of junk or what? Is there anything to check as to why the bike just died? I'm going to post this in a couple other forums as well

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will also add that the tank was pretty empty when I got it. Bought some 93 tonight and topped it off. Maybe some water in the gas from being low? Just checked battery connections and they are tight. No sputtering....just cut out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
1. The gear indicator is normal, someone can explain this better but the computer takes RPM and speed to decide what gear you are in.
2. Trans is louder than i expected also but is normal.
3. Make deliberate shift when downshifting, you will get used to this.
4. Check the play in your clutch. Lots of videos on youtube on how to do this.

Hopefully this will help. I am no pro like some on here so maybe someone else can chime in and correct me if i am mistaken

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just checked the battery connections. They seemed "tight" to me, but I could move one of the connectors. I mean i wasn't loose on the post (up and down), but I went ahead and tightened these down anyway. I'll check clutch play.

I want to ride it to work tomorrow, but would hate to get into the city and the bike stalls when stopping at a light.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Stalling, try resetting the IAC. Key on, kill switch to run and let the fuel pump prime, move the kill switch to off and wait about 10 seconds, kill switch to run again and let the fuel pump run. Repeat this 5 times, with the ignition key in the run position all the time. After the last time, start your bike and ride away. This also primes the fuel system. Changes in altitude can effect it also. If the bike has been sitting for a while, it's a good habit to get into. Mine doesn't stall very often on the road, but this has always cured it. 36K miles on a 14CCT now. Best thing, it doesn't cost anything to try!

Reactions: keys2heaven

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Would be nice for it not to stall at all!

:)

Stalling, try resetting the IAC. Key on, kill switch to run and let the fuel pump prime, move the kill switch to off and wait about 10 seconds, kill switch to run again and let the fuel pump run. Repeat this 5 times, with the ignition key in the run position all the time. After the last time, start your bike and ride away. This also primes the fuel system. Changes in altitude can effect it also. If the bike has been sitting for a while, it's a good habit to get into. Mine doesn't stall very often on the road, but this has always cured it. 36K miles on a 14CCT now. Best thing, it doesn't cost anything to try!

·
Registered
83 Posts
1. The gear indicator is normal, someone can explain this better but the computer takes RPM and speed to decide what gear you are in.
2. Trans is louder than i expected also but is normal.
3. Make deliberate shift when downshifting, you will get used to this.
4. Check the play in your clutch. Lots of videos on youtube on how to do this.

Hopefully this will help. I am no pro like some on here so maybe someone else can chime in and correct me if i am mistaken
I agree with all of this.

One thing I can say about the stalling is, put more miles on the bike. I had that "issue" a few times (2 or 3) getting off the freeway. The best advice I can give is, the more miles I put on it the less it happened. These bikes need to be ridden, and even at 12k I feel it is still not 100% broken in, and gets better every mile I click off.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts
BOTH of my bikes clunk when going into first...sometimes loud, sometimes not...I'm use to it now and really don't hear anymore. Shifting into other gears I've found the right RPM, over 3000, and quick positive shifts, BOTH bikes almost as silent as my past Yamaha and Goldwing. (same when downshifting...be positive). CC is way quieter now and Vegas getting there.
Stalling....again BOTH did a few times when new....now neither does...CC 43,000 miles and Vegas 2100 miles.
I do have to add:
CC...with 1000 miles went to a @kevinx cam party...never stalled after....wanted to GO!!!:badgrin:
VEGAS....with 380 miles on it, took to @kevinx shop for his magic....did stall a couple times, no more...REALLY GOES!!!:dance:
Suggestions above in other threads are right...keep clutch adjusted correctly, not only lever play! I've found that when clutch slips a little, it's in need of adjustment....NOT the CLEAN VICTORY OIL in it :rofl2:

·
Registered
728 Posts
KevinX is Kevin Cross. He owns southern motorworks and is one of the premier victory technicians in the country. Located in Florida, but I believe that he will be opening a shop in Phoenix soon. He also flies around the country having cam parties. Installing cams, timing wheel and other goodies. He flew to California and we held a cam party at my place in 2015. Did 6 bikes over the weekend. Great guy!

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts
KevinX is Kevin Cross. He owns southern motorworks and is one of the premier victory technicians in the country. Located in Florida, but I believe that he will be opening a shop in Phoenix soon. He also flies around the country having cam parties. Installing cams, timing wheel and other goodies. He flew to California and we held a cam party at my place in 2015. Did 6 bikes over the weekend. Great guy!
The above and more. He came to Michigan for a cam party and did my CC. I bought my Vegas in Lakeland Florida and took to him in HIGH SPRINGS, FL. NO ONE touches either motor but him and/or SETH (well except oil changes). @kevinx is the best and always available for my dumb questions :clap:

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
o.k. need help and/or advice. I purchased a fairly new/used 2016 Vegas 8-Ball. Got it last week. Original owner bought in June of this year and put 475 miles on it. First thing I did was change the oil with the Victory oil change kit. Took it around the block after the oil change (1st ride on it) and it seemed fine. Only went about a mile.

Nice night, so I decided to go around our small town to get used to the bike. A few notes...
  1. Hate the shift indicator on the speedometer. Why the frick would you display "-----" when the clutch lever is pulled in?
  2. This thing shift hard. I thought my HD was loud when dropping into first. This thing clunks in all gears. Is this normal?
  3. When downshifting, the bike likes to drop right into neutral. Is this normal?
  4. Most disconcerting was pulling up to a stop sign in 1st, with the clutch lever pulled all the way in....the bike just died. I popped it back into neutral and it started again, but man that didn't feel right on a bike with < 500 miles.
Did I buy a bucket of junk or what? Is there anything to check as to why the bike just died? I'm going to post this in a couple other forums as well

·
Registered
299 Posts

First off, No, you didn't buy a bucket to junk, but it will take you a bit to get used to her. I have a 2013 vegas 8 ball.

Don't know why they udsed the dashes when the Clutch is pulled in, but Id guess its because they didn't want you thinking you were in the lower gear when shifting up, or the higher gear while shifting down. Semantics I guess.

The bikes will clunk pretty hard when shifting into 1st from neutral. Sometimes it's worse than others. Especially when cold. Better when warm. 1st to second shift is clunky, unless you shift slow. By this, I mean, take your time moving from 1st to 2nd. You can't hurry this shift. The other shifts on mine are pretty smooth.

I take it that you mean when downshifting from second into first, it likes to drop into neutral? If so, yes, mine does sometimes too. Plus it gives a pretty good clunk when it does it, like it's shifted into 1st, but really hasn't.
The solution, again, take your time with the 2nd to 1st shift. I usually just shift into neutral on all my bikes. I never downshift into 1st. I also don't sit at traffic lights in 1st with the clutch pulled in. A habit from riding ancient Brit bikes with piss poor clutch cables.

Last item: Are you absolutely sure you have the clutch free play adjusted properly? The clearance is very small, like 5mm I think. If I adjust my bike with a larger freeplay, it drags on the clutch. Not enough to stall the bike, but I can feel it dragging. Again, I wouldn't shift all the way down into 1st on a new bike like this. Drop it into neutral at lights and stop signs. No need to go all the way down to first. It's a technique thing. Now: Your bike is brand new. It's not broken in, and the motor has not settled in, let alone the gearbox. Mine didn't feel like it had settled in until about 2,200 miles. The gearbox is heavy. That's because it has to support a big heavy Vee twin with a boatload of torque. I have never ridden a modern harley, but I'm told they shift like a tractor. Don't know if it's true, or if people just expect too much of them too.

My gearbox is very smooth, i think, for a big Vee twin. I've had 11 other bikes in my lifetime, and have owned everything from British 500 singles, to crotch rockets. Currently I ride the Vegas, a 2000 Kawasaki W650 with a silky smooth gearbox, and a 1995 HOnda 750 nighthawk, which is my project bike. All three bikes have different gearboxes. The W650 is the smoothest, but they all take a different approach to ride them smoothly.

Don't despair about your purchase bud. Just let her loose and get used to her, and let her wear in. I guarantee you will like the bike! I bought mine new in 2015, and I don't plan on getting rid of her.

Cheers, Kiwi John.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Hate the shift indicator on the speedometer. Why the frick would you display "-----" when the clutch lever is pulled in?
Don't know why they udsed the dashes when the Clutch is pulled in, but Id guess its because they didn't want you thinking you were in the lower gear when shifting up, or the higher gear while shifting down. Semantics I guess.
OP, it's a gear indicator and not a shift indicator. I think you know that but I want it to be clear it is working as it should for a newer Vic.

What's strange is the older Vics like my 08 show a gear at all times. My 13 showing -- with the clutch pulled never bothered me but the way my 08 works does make more sense.

My Visions are my first bike with a gear indicator and I really don't care to have it. I would much rather a compass there or maybe a multi-stat display.

For a faster restart you just need to pull the clutch and hit the button.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's funny reading your guys description of freedom engines and tranys. Even though I have an Octane it acts the same way. After all it is a Vic. Sometimes it's clunky and sometimes smooth. But revving it higher and shifting seems to be much smoother. One thing I don't like is the clutch play on these bikes. Basically...there is none. I have a Barnett cable now which works way better than stock but it still needs to be tight to the max to change gears smoothly. I suppose that could be the stalling issue for the OP.

·
Premium Member
14,192 Posts
It's funny reading your guys description of freedom engines and tranys. Even though I have an Octane it acts the same way. After all it is a Vic. Sometimes it's clunky and sometimes smooth. But revving it higher and shifting seems to be much smoother. One thing I don't like is the clutch play on these bikes. Basically...there is none. I have a Barnett cable now which works way better than stock but it still needs to be tight to the max to change gears smoothly. I suppose that could be the stalling issue for the OP.
There's more to adjusting a clutch then freeplay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.