VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice and pointers on intercom set up to use with the wife on rides, be able to take phone calls from time to time and talk to other group riders. Don't really want to play my music through it to speakers in my helmet though.

Looking for experience on what people are using in these capacities and with the same/similar bike. What you like or don't like about what brand/model you are using.

I have searched for intercom on the forums and get some info, but doesn't really seem to address all of what I am trying to put together. Of course, I may not have exhausted or searched the correct way. Would rather buy something once than have to do it over.

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
I have Sena, Uclear, and Nolan B4.

Sena SMH10- great all around. They have a great person to person sound. Good range. Great battery.

These will work with other brands but I've never done it.

The only thing I didn't really care for was the boom mic. In some 3/4 and full helmets the mic will contact your face.

It mounts easily on most helmets but sometimes it can be a challenge.

The button operations in these are really easy, even in gloves.

Uclear HBC 200- good all around. Good person to person sound. Good range. Great battery.

These are really nice as they install super easy and have many different speaker options for all helmets. You simply stick the mount on the helmet and slide the Uclear pod onto it. It makes it for most any helmet extremely easy.

They do not work with other brands, not to my knowledge.

These have no boom mic and instead the mic is in the speakers or a thin wire you run in the headliner of the helmet depending on the speakers you select. They work incredibly well. Just like with my Sena people usually have no clue I'm on a bike.

The buttons on here are hard to use on the helmet, especially in gloves. I added a handlebar remote which was much easier to use and I feel is well worth the money.

B4- this goes in Nolan helmets. It is specific to them and if you don't have one there is no need of checking it out.

This one does pair with other brands and I used that with my wife and her Sena pod.

The buttons are easy to use and it sounds good with an ok battery.

Between all three I have enjoyed the Uclear most. To answer the phone you simply say "pick up" or "hello."

• Winner
Reactions: Half_Crazy

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I have Sena, Uclear, and Nolan B4.

Sena SMH10- great all around. They have a great person to person sound. Good range. Great battery.

These will work with other brands but I've never done it.

The only the I didn't really care for was the boom mic. In some 3/4 and full helmets the mic will contact your face.

It mounts easily on most helmets but sometimes it's can be a challenge.

The button operations in these are really easy, even in gloves.

Uclear HBC 200- good all around. Good person to person sound. Good range. Great battery.

These are really nice as they install super easy and have many different speaker options for all helmets. You simply stuck the mount in the helmet and slide the Uclear pod onto it. It makes it for most any helmet extremely easy.

They do not work with other brands, not to my knowledge.

These have no boom mic and instead the mic is in the speakers or a thin wire you run in the headliner of the helmet. They work incredibly well. Just like with my Sena people usually have no clue I'm on a bike.

The button on here are hard to use on the helmet, especially in gloves. I added a handlebar remote which was much easier to use and I feel is well worth the money.

B4- this goes in Nolan helmets. It is specific to them and if you don't have one there is no need of checking it out.

This one does pair with other brands but I've never done it.

The buttons are ready to use and it sounds good with an ok battery.

Between all three I have enjoyed the Uclear most. To answer the phone you simply say "pick up" or "hello."
Excellent review and comparison! I have the UClear, the Scala Rider and FreeComm T-Rex. I use the UClear when I ride with my brother. The range is about half a mile. You must speak normally when you use this system, if you raise your voice, it sounds muddled on the other side. It can be updated on line. When ours were at the booth at Laughlin River Run, they were better. There was an ear bud option that I liked but I think it has benn discontinued.
The Scala Riders are 5 years old. I use them when my wife rides on the back.
They work well and once paired will sync automatically. They have a boom mic. They work well but wind noise seems louder with them. The T-Rex is designed to work in groups up to 8. I use this when I ride with my touring buddies. The range is about 1/2 mile and works great in the mountains even when your partner is a few curves ahead. Wind noise is minimal, voices are clear. I can make phone calls while riding with this one. This is my favorite! It is an off brand I found on Amazon and only cost me $145 for my headset. It looks like a Sena but it won't pair with any other brand. My buddie's headset would not pair with us and his cell phone. He seemed to have a relatively easy time getting it replaced.
I can't get my brother or my wife to switch to the T-Rex because they are happy with what they have. My point is most brands will do what you want reasonably. My challenge is none will allow you to toggle between group and just talking to your passenger. (probably why my wife won't switch. She doesn't want everyone to hear when she burps.)

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The OP is asking about using these with a Magnum, Because the Magnum is a blue tooth system already.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
The OP is asking about using these with a Magnum, Because the Magnum is a blue tooth system already.
If I'm not mistaken, the Bluetooth in the Magnum only pairs your phone or GPS with the sound system in the Magnum. It does not allow you to talk to a passenger or other riders. If he wants to do that he will need a Comm system similar to the ones described above.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I have been shopping for some new communication headsets for my wife and I. I like to use ear buds because they isolate the wind noise and the music sounds better. So I need that as an option. I sometimes ride in groups and sometimes I ride with my wife. I need the capability to toggle between them.
I also lament missing the best camera shot because I can’t stop when the road gets twisty.
The Sena 20 can do lol of that except the camera. The Sena 10C will do what I want but I will need to wit for the next version to come out in. Couple months.
My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
26,098 Posts
I have been shopping for some new communication headsets for my wife and I. I like to use ear buds because they isolate the wind noise and the music sounds better. So I need that as an option. I sometimes ride in groups and sometimes I ride with my wife. I need the capability to toggle between them.
I also lament missing the best camera shot because I can't stop when the road gets twisty.
The Sena 20 can do lol of that except the camera. The Sena 10C will do what I want but I will need to wit for the next version to come out in. Couple months.
My two cents.
Uclear has many different speaker options, one being earbuds. They even have some that are to be used with just a phone and no come system if that interests you. Their products are meant for many active sports like snow skiing, biking, or anything really.

The Uclear uses a simple usb plug to connect the speakers to the pod. The pod is then held on by a thin metal clip stuck to the side of the helmet. Slightly larger than a postage stamp.

What I like about this compared to my Sena system is if I don't care to have my pod I'm left with nothing but a small metal clip instead of the big mount with boom mic on the Sena. It is just as easy to go from helmet to helmet as the Sena but the footprint of the product is smaller.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Uclear has many different speaker options, one being earbuds. They even have some that are to be used with just a phone and no come system if that interests you. Their products are meant for many active sports like snow skiing, biking, or anything really.

The Uclear uses a simple usb plug to connect the speakers to the pod. The pod is then held on by a thin metal clip stuck to the side of the helmet. Slightly larger than a postage stamp.

What I like about this compared to my Sena system is if I don't care to have my pod I'm left with nothing but a small metal clip instead of the big mount with boom mic on the Sena. It is just as easy to go from helmet to helmet as the Sena but the footprint of the product is smaller.
I have UClear with the earbuds option. I'm on my second set because the sound went out on one side. The second set works but it's sporadic.Also you have to use their earbuds. My TRex lets me use any earbuds I like. Besides, last I heard, UClear no longer has the earbud option available. I agree with what you said about the Sena but the new model looks promising and I want the camera.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i have the smh10 setup and love it

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Looking for advice and pointers on intercom set up to use with the wife on rides, be able to take phone calls from time to time and talk to other group riders. Don't really want to play my music through it to speakers in my helmet though.

Looking for experience on what people are using in these capacities and with the same/similar bike. What you like or don't like about what brand/model you are using.

I have searched for intercom on the forums and get some info, but doesn't really seem to address all of what I am trying to put together. Of course, I may not have exhausted or searched the correct way. Would rather buy something once than have to do it over.
I have a TConn-SC. It cost me about 50.00. I purchased it because I had a trip coming up from NC to Ohio. Wore it with my 3/4 helmet on my 2015 Magnum. It works for what I need it for without breaking the bank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.